Model Cars Magazine Forum

1 hour ago, Jon Haigwood said:

When did they go from real wood on a Woodie to metal painted to look like wood? Fake wood  

Apparently, the process was iintroduced by National Cash Register in 1918 for their products.   Before the carmakers used fake wood on the outside, which is a postward trend, they were using metal painted wood for interior trim like dashboards before the war.

27 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

I had that idea in 2002 and I'm still sorta jealous that someone else actually made it.  Good thing I didn't spend much time on the idea, because it seems to have gone over like a lead balloon. Too bad--I think it's really neat!! 

I was aware of porta-walls, but hadn't seen the metal versions before. Cool!

Back in the 60's you could buy white lettering and numbers to glue to the side of your tires to simulate raised white lettering. I did a quick search and you can still buy them. At Bed Bath and Beyond no less.

Edited by Jon Haigwood

1 hour ago, Jon Haigwood said:

When did they go from real wood on a Woodie to metal painted to look like wood? Fake wood  

What about fake wood trim inside the passenger compartment, especially in Caddys, Lincolns and other top-of-the-line models? Nothing says cheesy more than plastic simulated wood trim.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

What about fake wood trim inside the passenger compartment, especially in Caddys, Lincolns and other top-of-the-line models? Nothing says cheesy more than plastic simulated wood trim.

Fake wood in Lincolns has been a thing for quite a while, as this 1941 Lincoln Continental shows.

H108625_006.jpg

Edited by Richard Bartrop

4 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Nothing says cheesy more than plastic simulated wood trim.

How about real wood trim that has been clear-coated/plasticized to the point where it might as well be plastic? 

Apparently Bentley's wood burl dash veneer is very carefully applied and treated so it still has the surface texture of real wood. Yawn. I think I'll go fondle a birch, and save $200k :D

On 3/30/2019 at 8:01 PM, PierreR89 said:

This is a Jeep cherokee Orvis edition from the UK
5ca001955f7a5_xjeuroorvis.jpg.8d161efb8c49ff4116edb592c359a94d.jpg
Look close at the hood of it and you can see 2 vents and at the tailgate there is a spoiler.
Those parts do absolutley nothing, the vents are fake and taped on with 3M tape or something similar, the rear spolier is useless on something that is not a sportvehicle.
There is a brakelight in it tho so its used for something.

The spoiler in the back is to keep dust off of the rear window when off road. 

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I....actually like it. 

Unlike a lot of retro fakery, it all actually looks like it's supposed to be there.  I suppose it helps a lot that it's all on a car that itself is a big fake.   Bascially a Neon trying to pretend it's a 1940 ford.

I forgot to mention the side pipes on Petie!!!

On an SUV or CUV, the rear spoiler (like on the Cherokee mentioned), I think it is at least slightly useful.  Keeps the rear window from getting quite so dirty from the aerodynamics at play.  I think.   I could be wrong.   But all this stuff is fun to look at.   Was at a classic car auction a few weeks back and there was a 56 Buick with  the fake wide white overlays.  I think it was a purposeful addition to give that 60's retro look.  I was okay with it.  And they were just on there - not really laying on the tire tight.

Surprised no one has mentioned the 70 Charger door scoops yet.  Fake door scoops to hide simulated door vents.  The ultimate in fakery?  

Edited by randyc
stupid monday morning fat fingered typing skills

On 3/30/2019 at 8:41 AM, espo said:

I had asked the Zone Rep. from Pontiac "what were they thinking". His story line was that it was a committee design. Pontiac Division had work shops with non GM employees asking what they were looking for in a new car. AS it turned out a majority of the people in the work shops were very early twenties since that was their target buyers. The problem is by the time they put it all together and brought it to market it cost to much for the target buyers and it was during the plastic cladding era at GM and so it looked the way it looked because no one had a clear vision of what it should be. 

I always entertained the theory that some Pontiac chief ("chief": get it?  I slay myself) came up with a product and pushed it so hard that no one had the cojones to tell him/her "Boss, that's a gawd awful design" so it sailed through.  Bad groupthink would work too. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

My Jeep has the overhang over the rear window...mostly for aerodynamics, would look unfinished if it wasn't there..

unnamed-6.jpg

Another function to consider is the slight amount of shade on the rear window. Any shade will help in a vehicle of this design, hence the factory dark tinted rear and side windows. There is a lot of volume in these vehicles to try and cool in sunny weather. The dark area also makes the third stop light easier to see from behind. I'd give this design a pass based on the function alone. 

In 1978 I happened to be at a Ford dealer. On the delivery truck was a brand spanking new Mustang King Cobra in dark blue. I told the sales guy " That's my car ! "  I did buy it and I really thought it was cool but it did have a lot of fake "dress up stuff" that the under powered 302 really did not need.

47 minutes ago, cobraman said:

In 1978 I happened to be at a Ford dealer. On the delivery truck was a brand spanking new Mustang King Cobra in dark blue. I told the sales guy " That's my car ! "  I did buy it and I really thought it was cool but it did have a lot of fake "dress up stuff" that the under powered 302 really did not need.

Something like this Ray?

Midnight Blue 78  King Cobra

13 hours ago, Bucky said:

The "spoiler" on this roof rack is actually more of a deflector:

1969_ford_country_squire-pic-31699796939

It directed air flow down across the tailgate window, to help keep dust off.

Also if I'm not mistaken, to direct exhaust down and away from the car, rather that rolling up and into the rear window and gag your backwards facing kiddies.