Model Cars Magazine Forum

Traditional AMT '34 Ford Pickup

So I'm pretty new here and nobody has really seen any of my work. I'll be posting a few of my builds over the next week or so. I feel guilty looking at everyone's models and not participating.

I built this late last year and wanted to do a early 60's style hot rod. It was one of those bucket-list builds as I built one as a kid and that one is long gone. I really don't build much hot rod stuff, but I had a lot of fun with this. Started with the 70's issue AMT '34 Ford pickup kit (orange body-black fenders on boxart). Deleted the side mount tire hole in the passenger front fender and a couple other minor body tweaks. I used 2 '59 El Camino toneau covers to make a bed floor and door panels from them as these kits really lack on interior detail. I swapped in a Revell '32 Ford chassis which went in like it was made for it - very little to make it work. I robbed the Fuelie SBC from the '62? Revell Corvette kit and add a MAD distributor. Tires and wheels are Pegasus chrome steel big & littles. Body was painted with Testors Nassau Blue straight from the rattle can and then cleared with Testors One-Coat. 

Hope you like. Comments are welcome.

IMG_6322.JPG

IMG_6321.JPG

IMG_6318.JPG

IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

IMG_6325.JPG

IMG_6326.JPG

IMG_6327.JPG

1 hour ago, Fish_65 said:

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Much appreciative. 

Tim, I actually swapped the whole Revell 32 chassis.

Scott....so did you use the '34 Ford kit center crossmember setup in the Revell '32 chassis?  If so, very clever idea!   TIM 

10 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Scott....so did you use the '34 Ford kit center crossmember setup in the Revell '32 chassis?  If so, very clever idea!   TIM 

I stand corrected. I had to look back at my build progress pics...you had me wondering what I did Tim. I did not use the whole Revell chassis, but swapped in the suspension parts. I do suffer from CRS from time to time :D

Edited by Fish_65

13 hours ago, Fish_65 said:

I do suffer from CRS from time to time :D

Me too, Scott...me too!  Thanks for the update.....your model makes me want to drag out an AMT '34 Ford pickup and do something very similar!   TIM 

Edited by tim boyd