Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 Mustang HT Glue Bomb Rescue (-ish)

Snake45

This is not my normal “rescue” or restoration or rebuild. This was a quick, easy “let’s see if I can fix it up a little” job. It was inspired by the Lee Iacocca Memorial build down in the CB section. I realized that I’d recently acquired a black original AMT ’65 Mustang HT that might make a good candidate for this community build.

65MustangGBBlack01.jpg.722d8b9cfafe56a339a5ab9e9bf145dc.jpg

65MustangGBBlack03.jpg.9156103dbcdc87bfa98c1a7d9532b9ee.jpg

Far and away the “gluiest” and “bombiest” glue bomb I've ever done a “rescue” on, the model has what I call “good bones” for a complete rebuild, which means all the major parts are here and intact, no major glue or paint damage, no emblems removed or other body alterations. It’ll make a beautiful rebuild job someday, but wasn’t in the mood to do that at this particular time.

I disassembled the thing and was delighted to discover that most of the glue didn’t penetrate very far; a good deal of it could be picked off with a fingernail or the tip of an Xacto. A two-day swim in Lake Purple removed 99% of the gold paint from the interior parts, and I was able to carefully pick and scrape the last bits of it off with the Xacto. I painted the carpet black, along with the dash pad and dashboard details and let the rest of the natural white plastic stand in all its naked glory. It’ll make a great base for the eventual full rebuild.

My usual “rescue” job involves polishing out and touching up paint that’s in fairly decent shape, but that wasn’t the case here.  Not sure what this black is, but it overall looked horrible—not suitable for rubbing out. I just touched up the flaked-off areas and sharp edges with black Sharpies and a black paint pen. It still looks horrible  (even worse than it appears in the pictures), although at least now it’s all black.

The rest was standard Snake-Fu, much of it involving my beloved Silver Sharpie. I polished out the glass, hit the never-painted chassis underside with Walmart Flat Black Primer, and trimmed and rebuilt the taillights. Also hit the grille and wheel covers with a black wash. 

Someday I’ll do a nice full rebuild on this one. In the meantime, it’s on my shelf representing a Cleaned-Up Barn Find, or mid-'70s Winter Beater, or something. :lol:

65MustangGBBlack07.jpg.4e18658eaf73a4bf13850163f0a50d2a.jpg

65MustangGBBlack10.jpg.cf7adfb36f92bf8292e57c9975c332eb.jpg

65MustangGBBlack14.jpg.f38539e64ebe7b9905651e6d67618ba8.jpg

65MustangGBBlack17.jpg.4de491cf9cf486ca005214d3bc24545a.jpg

65MustangGBBlack19.jpg.e03ff1a1682a0c8ce1ca684174d430bf.jpg

Here's a Sneak Preview of Coming Attractions of it with what will probably be my next full, serious Rescue project, an original AMT '66 Mustang GT fastback I just got. As always, comments welcome. B)

65MustangGBBlack23.jpg.fabaa841bd1f0eff23e5a0710379a15e.jpg

65MustangGBBlack24.jpg.009dfcaea8cf676a48b634644c5098ca.jpg

65MustangGBBlack27.jpg.de2dfe27724e5b4f3601b71448d71558.jpg

mustang front

Here's a Mustang project that I need to finish one day!  It has the more detailed '67 Mustang chassis under it.

I also have all the parts in one box to build my friend Mark's '66 from back in the day.  His was a plain white car with a six and three speed on the floor, power nothing!  But we loved that car!  I have a resin six all built and wired for another project that I didn't use.

Edited by Tom Geiger

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

mustang front

Here's a Mustang project that I need to finish one day!  It has the more detailed '67 Mustang chassis under it.

I also have all the parts in one box to build my friend Mark's '66 from back in the day.  His was a plain white car with a six and three speed on the floor, power nothing!  But we loved that car!  I have a resin six all built and wired for another project that I didn't use.

Thanks for your kind comment about my model, Tom. 

Oh, wait. Never mind......B):lol: