Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rescued Revell Camaro

disconovaman

I Rescued this Built-up bomb from the Land fill last month and with some intensive care I was able to save it. 

You've all heard the stories of where a guy would build a kit, light it on fire, and roll it down a hill... well this Camaro was a Stop-action version of those stories, complete with Flames! It was a labor of love and as the build progressed, I fell in love with it. I hope I did the car some justice. It was rough but I did the best I could given the condition... thanks for looking...

Screenshot_20190831-200444.jpg

Screenshot_20190901-090149.png

Screenshot_20190831-203305.jpg

Screenshot_20190831-200904.jpg

Screenshot_20190831-200724.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent rescue!! Very good bodywork you did......I wouldn't have known it unless you pointed it out. I love rescue jobs and I'm sure that Camaro is thanking you for rescuing it!

It's also the next best thing to owning that really rare model, but it costs nowhere near what a pristine example would bring. ;)

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

You literally found it at the landfill?  Details!   Was there anything else with it?

There was about 40 build ups in a large tote and my buddy asked if I was interested in them because he knows I like model I said yeah... he brought them to me. I didn't have a clue what I was gettin but I was excited anyway. All I know is that the tote was in a pile of stuff (Possibly from his neighbor?) to go to the dump and my buddy opened it up and thought of me. that's the story...

Nothing in there past 1995 or before 1985-1988 nothing that wasn't heavily painted and glued over except the Dale Jarret #88 Daytona 500 winner NASCAR.  Thanks for the Nice comments to everyone! It's nice to have the valadition. 

Seriously folks, Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the positivity...

I sprayed the Charcoal Grey and applyied the decals from 3 Revell 69 Nova's... Then I sprayed Blue Galaxy pearl clear over it, which gave it a purple, blue, green haze... 

I'm working on 3 more to rescue now from the pile...the General appeared to be restored once before so I'm bringing that it back to it's  DOH glory. Also I'm working on a BADMAN tribute 57 it was painted blue black and green, I've stripped all those layers off. and gave it the Steven Brown treatment He's an artist from the UK, that's why it's RHD... Look for those in the Under Glass section in the future. Thanks agian for looking an the appreciation...

20190810_133959.jpg

Screenshot_20190902-082219.jpg

Screenshot_20190902-082334.jpg

Screenshot_20190902-082528.jpg

Screenshot_20190902-082410.jpg

Screenshot_20190902-082317.png

• Like 1

You did a great job with that Camaro, but personally, I wouldn't have put that much effort into basically completely rebuilding it (the kit's just too common--I've bought a bunch of them just for parts). I would however have seen what I could do with what was there, with a minimum of time and effort. But hey that's just me. 

I really like where you're going with that '57, though! Drive on! B)

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You did a great job with that Camaro, but personally, I wouldn't have put that much effort into basically completely rebuilding it (the kit's just too common--I've bought a bunch of them just for parts). I would however have seen what I could do with what was there, with a minimum of time and effort. But hey that's just me. 

Sometimes we do these things just to see if we can!  I like it.

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I wouldn't have put that much effort into basically completely rebuilding it (the kit's just too common-

Exactly my thoughts but I was blinded by seeing the mess and knowing what it could be... everyone in our local club agrees that I should've left it alone aside from wheels and tires and a good cleaning. And the quarter panels were a serious undertaking as they were swiped from a Monogram 24th scale camaro.  You must weigh the options when you find a buildup and deside what's the right decision. I just didn't take long enough to think it over...

The day after I got it  I had the heating and air guy at my house, he seen it sitting on my bench and asked "did you build that"!? "Ugh, No I'm better than that at modeling" I said. It kinda embarrassed me. Now he probably thinks I'm a horrible builder. I couldn't help think what the next guy would think about it. I had to make it nice... 

33 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Sometimes we do these things just to see if we can!

And the devil on my right shoulder said Rebuild it! lol The fact is I have 10 virgin Revell Camaros on the shelf but I wanted to fix this one, Do I have a problem? lol...

7 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

The day after I got it  I had the heating and air guy at my house, he seen it sitting on my bench and asked "did you build that"!? "Ugh, No I'm better than that at modeling" I said. It kinda embarrassed me. Now he probably thinks I'm a horrible builder. I couldn't help think what the next guy would think about it. I had to make it nice... 

I'd be the sucker to rebuild it too!   

I've had a few service people notice my modeling.  I had a Verizon guy in my home office trouble shooting my router.  My big show case is in there.  He was looking at the models when I came into the room, he seemed a bit embarrassed since they are trained not to notice anything in customer's homes.  I assured him it was cool to look!  He thought they were all diecast and was blown away when I told him they were all kits I had built.

I also had the appliance repairman notice when he walked by the open door to my workshop.  He as into it and said he was thinking of getting into building models again.