Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Mustang Coupe

Plowboy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx Luke! Seems like the more I work on this project, the farther away the finish line gets. I had an old Monogram Glidden T-Bird that I had stole the wheels from in the stash. I snagged the engine and stuck it between the frame rails. It fit. But, even with the spring/shock towers moved out, very little room for headers. So, I whacked off the frame rails at the firewall and replaced it with the tube frame clip from the T-Bird. Now, I have all the room I need for the headers. I still need to trim down the frame connectors and fabricate an X brace. Plus fabricate a roll cage on the top side. 

49295417328_ebc3c46f25_b.jpg

I didn't want to use the tunnel ram intake and Dominators. So, I made a modern air intake/throttle body setup for it. I may use coil packs for the ignition. Depends on how much room I have for a distributor. I'm going to use a different type of electric water pump. I'm also thinking about doing a Nitrous setup. I've never done one before.

49295909016_7921496319_b.jpg

49296106412_e3ba7d4841_b.jpg

With the engine in place, it was time to see how much I needed to cut out of the hood. I first trimmed the hood to fit closely to the intake. But, there was just too much sticking through for my taste. I was actually surprised at how low the profile of the intake was. It barely sticks through the hood. I made a scoop to barely cover the hole in the hood. 

49299248657_d1448b809e_b.jpg

49295918496_e1bc38cbc8_b.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Muppet said:

Coming along beautifully, Roger.  The work on the chassis is great, and the scratchbuilt intake looks so good.  And I really like that you went that you went with something understated and unique for the hood scoop/blister, instead of a big and boring outlaw scoop.

Thanx! I never did like the outlaw cowl hoods. Even when they were so popular. I'd rather have the engine sticking through the stock hood. To me, the cowl hoods only look right on a GM. Anything else, they just look outta place.

Edited by Plowboy

Wow! Just catching up to this! LOVE the bodywork! That's how it should be done.........just sticking a '66 roof on the lower body without it being modified in the quarters isn't quite correct. Fastbacks and hardtop quarters are indeed different. I like the treatment on the backlite........that gets overlooked at times I've noticed.

I'll definitely be following along!

11 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

That's how it should be done.........just sticking a '66 roof on the lower body without it being modified in the quarters isn't quite correct. Fastbacks and hardtop quarters are indeed different. I like the treatment on the backlite........that gets overlooked at times 

I once bought a resin coupe and was dismayed when it arrived that it was just as you described. And to add insult to injury the roof was glued on crooked!  

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

It still looks like it did in the last photo sadly. I got the door panels fitted and then lost steam.

I love the quality of the fab work you do Roger. Normally, I like a nose down attitude, but that bit of squat looks sweet on this one and I like it!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jack L said:

I am not a Ford guy but I have a 68 AMT ht in the works but am stalled by the back window . what and exactly how  was it done thanks Jack          ps looks real nice !

Thanx Jack! If I remember correctly, I just added a strip of .020 to the recess. Then cut and sanded to shape. It was fair simple.

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I love the quality of the fab work you do Roger. Normally, I like a nose down attitude, but that bit of squat looks sweet on this one and I like it!

Thanx Greg! The back end will actually come up a bit once the coilovers are installed. In the photo, the tubs are resting on the tires.