Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Got my new '62 Nova glue bomb disassembled. Chassis was just screwed on, but the interior tub was REALLY glued to its rear posts. Ended up having to grind all that out with a Dremel to get the interior out. Fortunately, the glass wasn't glued at all. Next problem was the dashboard was glued so solidly to the tub I had to hammer an Xacto down into the sides like a chisel, but I got it out. OB had glued on those hideous X seat belts, and what looked like a big stuffed mouse toy or something in the back seat, so I'll have glue damage to repair in there (and the seats are molded as part of the interior tub, of course).  Still, I'm more excited about this project than I've been about anything in a while. Looking forward to driving on! :D

63Nova15.jpg.053975a239e98844f135f2e2228d5dcd.jpg

On 8/19/2020 at 4:04 PM, Snake45 said:

Got my new '62 Nova glue bomb disassembled. Chassis was just screwed on, but the interior tub was REALLY glued to its rear posts. Ended up having to grind all that out with a Dremel to get the interior out. Fortunately, the glass wasn't glued at all. Next problem was the dashboard was glued so solidly to the tub I had to hammer an Xacto down into the sides like a chisel, but I got it out. OB had glued on those hideous X seat belts, and what looked like a big stuffed mouse toy or something in the back seat, so I'll have glue damage to repair in there (and the seats are molded as part of the interior tub, of course).  Still, I'm more excited about this project than I've been about anything in a while. Looking forward to driving on! :D

63Nova15.jpg.053975a239e98844f135f2e2228d5dcd.jpg

Cool find Snake.

I purchased some old screw bottoms this past week. This custom T-bird I just re-attached the parts that fell off and added a bit of my own embellishments. The front looked too plain to me as it only had the headlight and flat grill. So I added turn signals. The ford bird on the hood and a grill overlay to the original grill. A little chrome pen. Pretty cool old custom. 

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2-1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4-1.jpeg

Got some molds poured and in the pressure pot today for the Newport: Torqueflite , modified valve covers, and exhaust manifolds for the 361 V-8. Had enough rubber left to also mold a set of '61 Dodge wheelcovers (from the original '49 Ford kit), and one each '57 Plymouth promo and '59 Dodge Royal Lancer (from the AMT '62 Imperial), and a Revell Mercedes 190 SL tire half. That tray box I got today was well worth the money for moldmaking.

Also scrounged a set of Jo-Han belts, fan, alternator and correct air cleaner, so with the stuff I'll be casting I'll have two nearly complete engines - just need carbs and distributors.

Made another fun discovery:  If the engine is installed per directions, it won't fit in the chassis because the ends of the front stub axles hit it. Honestly it's like I have to re-engineer EVERYTHING on these two Chryslers just to get them assembled... 

Paging Steven Guthmiller: You ever tackle one of these? :blink:

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Round-up of the last three days of activity:

IMG_3271.JPG.118d15c7f414f7490d5a592e5494ae40.JPG

Cedric has received hopefully it's last coats of primer, seats and interior panels painted and given flat/semi-gloss clear.

IMG_3273.JPG.59b497e0e4b3cdbf4fb096c056aaf049.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG.32138a5e1b714c3a8f757fb1e7465a4a.JPG

Toyota has had a lot of BMF masking and 'black' detail painting (actually Revell #9), still more to go on the inside of the glass but it's getting there. Roofboxes from a Fujmi accessory set, I'll use the long one here to make use of the roofrails and may even paint up the mountain bike that came in the same accessory set.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

I finished off this 1979 kit, the Airfix Triumph TR7. Bought a few months ago as an 'already started' and damaged! it came in red plastic so I cleaned it up and gave it three coats of matt white, then gloss to stop the red bleeding through. Saved the decals with two coats of plasti-kote clear gloss enamel.

photo1-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

I have parts curing in the molds; got the last one done and the pot pressurized just as the resin was beginning to heat up and kick. I had to slice the trans mold in a couple places to get the master out, but I stuck a ring cut from a paper cup around the mold to get it tight.

On 8/24/2020 at 11:38 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Made another fun discovery:  If the engine is installed per directions, it won't fit in the chassis because the ends of the front stub axles hit it. 

Fun discovery #2: If the torsion bars in that chassis had been installed per directions instead of upside down, it wouldn't have that problem, nitwit :huh:<_<. (Original builder's fault, but geez...) I think I have a fix for it - bevel and countersink the stub axles, and cross my fingers.

I installed spark plug boots and the distributor for a 1978 Trans Am I am working on. First time ever adding wires to an engine. The heads have no detail, so I had to eyeball the spark locations based off 1:1 photos I found on the web.

20200902_204826[1].jpg