Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spark Plug wire details?

I've started adding plug wires to my kits and I think I got the wire size down but I've noticed people using different methods of wire holders and grommets to punch them up. I was wonder how everyone went about securing them and routing them and so forth?

Yeah, the MCG wire looms are the ticket. You get enough for a few kits on each sheet. Personally I don't go all wild and wire the correct firing order but I do make sure to alternate most wires from one side to the other to avoid the "parted hair" distributor look unless that's correct for the car like a C4 Corvette. Also, don't run the wires on each side to the cylinders in the same order, first wire to first cylinder, second wire to second cylinder, and do on. Mix it up a bit for more realism. 

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

MCG makes some awesome wire looms.

What does MCG stand for?

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Yeah, the MCG wire looms are the ticket. You get enough for a few kits on each sheet. Personally I don't go all wild and wire the correct firing order but I do make sure to alternate most wires from one side to the other to avoid the "parted hair" distributor look unless that's correct for the car like a C4 Corvette. Also, don't run the wires on each side to the cylinders in the same order, first wire to first cylinder, second wire to second cylinder, and do on. Mix it up a bit for more realism. 

Good tips there Brian thanks

I’m on a budget for building like a lot of folk so I have to get stuff over time, that’s one of the reasons I’ve always been a fan making as much as possible myself...

44 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I’m on a budget for building like a lot of folk so I have to get stuff over time, that’s one of the reasons I’ve always been a fan making as much as possible myself...

You can certainly make your own looms from strips of aluminum soda cans drilled and cut to shape.

Steve

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You can certainly make your own looms from strips of aluminum soda cans drilled and cut to shape.

Steve

Ok that sounds interesting, I’d like to see that done...

10 hours ago, peteski said:

MCG is Model Car Garage - a company that makes lots of model car photo-etched detail parts.

Ok thanks

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

OK, that is actually brilliant. I never thought of that. 

Easy to find recycled cans for use. Thanks for that. 

24 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Trying to cut an aluminum can with an X-Acto sounds like a good way to get a post in the "modeler's scars" thread.

LOL yeah I would have to agree, I was thinking that couldn't be a good way to do it

31 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Heavy duty scissors will work on soda can.

I would think it would be tough to get the detail you want out of scissors? Unless I'm missing something..

1 minute ago, wisdonm said:

If you're going to try cutting a can, be sure to drill all holes first.

That's what I would do. The industrial scissors I have are small, and I can get really close to the markings on whatever I have laid out. These things will cut thicker stuff than a soda can. After cutting, a little light filing to fine tune the piece is usually all is needed.

7 minutes ago, wisdonm said:

If you're going to try cutting a can, be sure to drill all holes first.

That makes sense I bet it would stink trying to drill it after, good tip

4 minutes ago, Bucky said:

That's what I would do. The industrial scissors I have are small, and I can get really close to the markings on whatever I have laid out. These things will cut thicker stuff than a soda can. After cutting, a little light filing to fine tune the piece is usually all is needed.

I'll have to see what I can do, I have some heavy duty scissors but they might be a little big for this.

Anyone have any pics of there looms? completed or while making?

11 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

You don't need to use a can, just get one of those disposable aluminum foil baking trays. 

Easy to cut but still heavy enough to keep it's shape .

Image result for foil baking tray" 

7 minutes ago, BigTallDad said:

Another way to cut the aluminum is toe-nail clippers; they are available with convex, flat, and concave cutting edges.

Oh both great ideas.... I'm going to try both of those when I attack this...