Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1963 Impala - Advanced Custom Version

Impalow

On 2/29/2020 at 7:24 PM, CabDriver said:

Oh wow! ?. That apoxie sculpt works really well, it looks like!  This is gonna be BANANAS when it’s done, I can’t wait to see it in person 

Better get going bud - only 56 days to go ??

Oh boy!!! 2 months should be good... but we shall see... it will be there regardless.

I knocked out the drivetrain over the weekend..still need to add detail, but its all roughed in and positioned.

Next up is the interior, then ramps....  ?

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

On 3/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, GMCMAN52 said:

good looking project, here's it weak little brother

Thats Fantastic John!... Lots of similarity there! ?

Here is a little update!    working on firming up the bodywork,  rounds of primer...  removing and adding trim...  all the fun stuff... I'm thinking one more round of filler.. hopefully I can get some metalflake on the thing soon!

IMG_2462.jpg.43087c9f5e429a11595d5015e5518e81.jpg

I made a swing up tailgate.... I spent a few hours trying to hinge it, and it just wasn't going to work, at least not with my hinge making ability... I probably should practice more at that. ?

So, this ended up as a pull out, and swing over setup...  im think I may make controls for the winch on the underside of the tailgate that will be in a good spot once its completely inverted.

IMG_2460.jpg.23564b476535fdcffc4a1c4943827934.jpgIMG_2461.jpg.e4e92e96dea060bb2e7cbc661501d888.jpg

Then I started on the rear center console with TV, and record player... Ive had a desire to scratchbuild a full detail record player for awhile....   this one is going to have a red transparent record on it, as well as storage for some others in that slot. 

IMG_2458.jpg.cbabcf9058e412b003d06e20b31c396c.jpg

Edited by Impalow

I have missed this thing up until today. It is SICK! In a good way.

I still marvel at the stuff you scratchbuild, and the way you've pioneered integrating the scrapbooking cutter into our hobby. It appears to be a very useful tool. 

The asymmetrical aspects of the design fully integrate into what you've got going on thematically, I'm following now, like I do with everything you build.

Thanks guys!!!  This one is a lot of fun!

16 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Brilliant!  Love the tailgate, and that record player is a GREAT touch!  Way cool!!

What color flake are you going with?  Got a color scheme in mind already?

I have a plan!... but nothing set in stone yet... here is my inspiration.

IMG_2468.jpg.177ba266da2b74a074059eeffebfeae5.jpg

Going to use my larger silver flake as a base...mask the panels, some faded shapes and perimeter shading, then rainbow candies, then back mask the panels and some HOK bright red pearl for the perimeter areas.

Although this has been my plan all along, I'm realizing I don't have much surface area on this thing to try and pull this off (really the only spots for the panels are sides and the short roof, maybe the hood)

So I may have to drastically simplify... but the basic colorful idea should be achievable.

Bright and sparkly!

So I had to peek to see what insanity Eric has taken on now.  What an imagination AND execution of an idea.  This is too cool for school as we used to say years ago.  That paint you shared is crazy and I'd love to see how you replicate something like it.   cheers, tim

On 3/10/2020 at 9:36 AM, Impalow said:

Then I started on the rear center console with TV, and record player... Ive had a desire to scratchbuild a full detail record player for awhile....   this one is going to have a red transparent record on it, as well as storage for some others in that slot. 

Love the record player...will it be the Who 'Who are you', Curtis Mayfield's 'Super Fly', or maybe Elvis' 1957 'Christmas album'....?

Really liking this build Eric

Thanks guys!!  I hopefully will have more updates in the next couple days... body work is all done, then added all the trim back on with some styrene strips.   I still need to scribe the lines for the hatch/front door then its ready for paint.   I was rushing to that point, but now with East being delayed.. im gonna get the rest of this a bit further before paint. 

27398B9D-5A2E-43B3-A765-7626C659764B.jpeg

A7DC8163-44FE-44E5-BF23-0A37C54C3BE3.jpeg

On 3/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, Belugawrx said:

Love the record player...will it be the Who 'Who are you', Curtis Mayfield's 'Super Fly', or maybe Elvis' 1957 'Christmas album'....?

Really liking this build Eric

Oh and for sure SuperFly!  ??

Thanks guys!!! 

I absolutely love that boom box!

I managed to get some quality bench-time over the weekend to further develop the interior...  

Filled the seat backs, added tub detail, reworked the floor area, scratchbuilt the base for the hand controls.... Most of this is just roughed in, and needs clean up, but its starting to gel.

The dash isn't going to work as I originally was thinking, so I'm gonna have to come up with something new/different...   just not a lot of real estate in that area... thinking maybe a floating pod or something.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy... its a good time to be a modeler.

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

Great looking seats and I like the seating arrangement. I don't know how you would represent this, but maybe a "Heads Up" instrumentation like a Fighter Jet or and old Pontiac Grand Prix or something like that.