Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Coronet.

I hope never to read the words "68 Coronet" again.

I am so tired of the constant stream of guff about this car.  It may come as a surprise to some members of this board, but in 1968, there were at least 4 Domestic major manufacturers of full size cars. General Motors, Ford Motor Company, American Motors & Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth. (aka MOPAR) Each of these companies offered to the American Consumer a great numbers of choices of cars and trucks to choose from.  Strangely, the Coronet was one of many.  Thus while desirable, it had much competition

Therefore, enough about this one car. I want a 68 AMC Ambassador. I have never mentioned this 'want' until now. Why? Because it is a waste of bandwidth.

I swear, I'm gonna start hunting '68 MOPAR Gluebombs and kits of all kinds on the secondary market, and burn the danged things just to make them scarce! Argh! Enough is Enough.  Round2 will (or will Not) tool up parts for this kit, When (or IF) they deem it a good use of their limited Tooling Dollars.

Want one sooner? Buy Round2! Buy Revell! Buy Moebuis! Put YOUR money into this project, and stop carping about it online!

All right, any other topics we should stop talking about while we're here?  I'm sure your happiness is important to a lot of people here.

It's not my thing, but we don't all have the same interest, and that's just fine.   The only way the kit companies will know what we want is if we tell them, and who knows? Maybe the numbers will work this time, maybe not.  Worst case, we kill some time shooting the breeze about model cars, which I understand is the point of a model car forum, but of course, I could be mistaken.

Now, I know that bandwidth is an issue for a lot of people, so I'm just going to point out how much you'll save by not clicking on topics that don't interest you, and how you'll save even more precious bits by not posting passionate pleas to stop talking those topics.

I'll agree that more AMC products would be welcomed , esp. an Ambassador of the c.1968 vintage you desire . For this matter , I'd love to see :

- 1970-1972 Gremlin (tooling needs backdated --- add some Randall X-R decals and Group 19 parts while you're at it)

- 1971 Hornet S/C 

- 1971-1974 Matador Sedan 

- 1969 Hurst S/C Rambler 

- Earlier iterations of the J-Series pickups (toss the Tornado OHC 6 in there , too !)

I laughed aloud at your quest to purchase and destroy every MPC 1968 Annual Coronet ! 

26 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

So, I'm not the only one tired of hearing about a '68 Coronet? I don't see what's so special about it. I wouldn't buy one if a company did make it. I guarantee if Round2 did reissue it, we would hear nothing but complaints about it. 

I'm with you and Alexis. Hey, I'd love to see one too, and in fact I have a Modelhaus resin repro patiently waiting its turn in the Snakepit, but I'm tired of reading about it. Yes, it's wanted, even needed. And no, Round 2 isn't gonna make one. Nor will Revell anytime soon. 

Buy a resin (someone else does them too, now) and build it, or come up with something else to obsess about, just for a change. :lol:

Thank god you didn't say 69 Coronet. I'm safe. Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.  Just messin' with ya. Buy up all the builders, pull off the hoods, grilles, F bumpers and TL, then sell bodies for start bid of 65-75, reasonably. Then, rip beak on the leftovers :) 

Should make enough to buy nice 1:1 Ambassador. 

PS, have 68, 69, and 70 Coronet ht's and converts. Minty, and 70 made from reissued 70 and a Modelhaus cv wsf.  

Edited by keyser

Or might I mention a '68 Coronet competitor?  How about a newer-than-40-year-old molding of a 1968-69 Torino  FB (yes!), sedan, or convertible (be still my racing heart).  All in all not a Chrysler product that will not be named.

Edited by The Junkman

I didn't start this thread, so don't start crying/screaming/cussing.  The most sorely lacking AMC has to be the '67 Marlin.  Jo-Han made the '65 and '66 Marlin, and the '67 was the best looking of the 3 years.  Next would come a '66 Rebel, or a '67 or '68 Rebel. 

The '66-'69 Ambassador hardtop and convertible kits and promos are not very difficult to find.  I think many people on the forum would like to see new kits of these, but unfortunately probably not many other people would.  Same with the Hornet SC and Matador sedans, the '69-'70 Rebel, and '69 American.  Young people can't relate to these AMC models since none have been produced in over thirty years, and are rarely seen.  

Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros and Chevelles are probably the most common models seen at local car shows, so those are no-brainers for Round2 and Revell to produce.  Low rider/donk cars are somewhat popular in some areas, so maybe kits that can be built that way AND stock offer some hope for obscure models.  Remember the donk Cadillac coupe that came out a while ago?  I would have bought it if it could have been built stock.  Another one that would have done better was the '77 Monte Carlo if a little more effort was put into its execution. 

I promise never to mention wanting a kit of the 1968 Dodge Coronet in this thread (named “68 Coronet.”) again. 

I’ll admit that my posts on the other thread was an inadvertent hijack. I let my enthusiasm get the best of me. I don’t see the harm in getting on a message board to discuss something specific within that board’s range of interests and perhaps finding like minded individuals to share that enthusiasm with. For that matter, not calling attention to a subject that might be doable will ensure that it will never happen. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

I do occasionally see posts about subjects that leave me scratching my head. Perhaps they are not my cup of tea. I usually just move on to something that interests me more. Still, you have the right to be bothered by what you are bothered by (even if I feel differently about being bother by that kind of thing), but I still have the right to post what I want to say (within reason). 

If I could buy Round 2 or Moebius, I would in a New York minute. Unfortunately, I don’t have those kinds of means. I just kind of come here for a good time, to discuss a leisure activity with like-minded individuals. I don’t really care if they don’t like exactly the same things as me, it’s all good. I can still respect other points of view and admire what I see, even if it’s not precisely my thing. 

As far as I’m concerned, the rest of this board is fair game. I’ll try to keep my enthusiasm from getting the best of me, and I’ll try not to hijack anymore, but I’m not going to refrain from occasionally posting about something within the hobby that I am enthusiastic about. Sorry- there is too much of that baloney going on concerning much more important aspects  of social media right now, and frankly, this is where I come to escape that kind of thing. This is notice that I will absolutely refuse to self-censor in that manner. If it gets me kicked off the board, or if all of the remaining ‘68 Coronet kits & builds in the world get bought up and firecrackered, then so be it. ?

So...because I feel it’s in the interest of peace, I’ll not speak any more of the “Mopar-that-shall-not-be-named” for a little bit, and of course I will be mindful of hijacks, but I will make NO promises of not bringing it up again in the future. 

Good luck with that Ambassador, I would buy one of those! 

33 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Sure, I have zero interest in a 1968 Coronet, but obviously some people are very interested in them,  and they're perfectly within their rights to talk about them.

Summed up much better than I could. I am genuinely sorry that I might have annoyed some people. I will definitely try my best to be polite from now on, but I will absolutely speak within my rights on this board.

I don’t want to make a thing out of this, and I’ll drop it from here, but I feel that this required an answer.

Edited by CapSat 6

I agree. But not to detriment of threads that have nothing to do with the topic. Most boards would shut that off-topic stuff down, now. Want to talk about new releases? Great. Want to discuss why 63 Dinngleball Golden Smegma hasn't been retooled? New thread. ALL the other boards I've been on do that. Was on brit aircraft site looking for SU-57 info. 1/72 kit came out. People kept asking about when 1/48 coming. OP (a mod) posted multiple times there WASN'T a 1/48, discuss the topic at hand. Then it stopped. I'd guess bans/thread bans. 

Courtesy doesn't seem to exist anymore. Talk about whatever. If it isn't in the thread, start/revive one. Please share, just politely/in right place. Or else we'll become Congress ?

There's nothing wrong with talking about the '68 Coronet. But, it's annoying when threads gets hijacked on the subject. There are countless threads on here about the '68 Coronet. Talk about them there. People who care will discuss. People who don't won't have to read about it.

35 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

There's nothing wrong with talking about the '68 Coronet. But, it's annoying when threads gets hijacked on the subject. There are countless threads on here about the '68 Coronet. Talk about them there. People who care will discuss. People who don't won't have to read about it.

True 

I'm interested in good detailed model kits of many old classic cars and yes the Coronet is one of them, but I don't necessarily want the old less detailed kits made in the early 60's, I like to have new better detailed kits made with todays technology....but that will most likely not happen any day soon.

56 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

Summed up much better than I could. I am genuinely sorry that I might have annoyed some people. I will definitely try my best to be polite from now on, but I will absolutely speak within my rights on this board.

I don’t want to make a thing out of this, and I’ll drop it from here, but I feel that this required an answer.

It's okay to get excited about things you enjoy.  Within reason, of course.

4 minutes ago, Force said:

I'm interested in good detailed model kits of many old classic cars and yes the Coronet is one of them, but I don't necessarily want the old less detailed kits made in the early 60's, I like to have new better detailed kits made with todays technology....but that will most likely not happen any day soon.

Considering some of the unicorns that have been coming out lately, it can't hurt to let the companies know what you want.