Model Cars Magazine Forum

After 50 years, the "Best Detail" winner at the 1970 MPC "World's Largest Model Contest Ever" Detroit Show returns...!

tim boyd

Way back - in fact, 50 years ago this month, I won "Best Detail" at the 1970 Detroit Cobo Autorama MPC Model Car Contest...an event later hyped in Car Model Magazine (August, 1970) cover story as the "Biggest Model Car Contest Ever Held".

2v2Ha6ASVx9hi3o.jpg

It was actually a dual award - my first winning model was a 1969 Charger Funny Car with a working drivetrain (turn the real tires, the driveline worked and rotated the engine's blower drive belt and pulleys). It had won "1st Senior" at the MPC Flint Michigna contest a month earlier, and would later on go to win "Best of Show" at the 1970 MPC Indianapolis Contest. It still exists in my showcase, having undergone a reconstruction after the model was returned in many pieces after competing as a mail-in entry in the MPC National Finals (but not winning) later in 1970.

2v2Ha6Ajnx9hi3o.jpg

My other winning model was newly created just for the Detroit contest. It was a 1970 'cuda funny car, paired with a unique working "Hydra-Slide" chassis inspired by a real 1969 Mustang funny car that had a chassis that moved the engine/tranny forward or rearward on the frame, to address varying traction and strip conditions at match races across the country.

While the frame and powertrain were very robust and have stood the test of five decades intact (and still operates to this day - as seen in the photos at the link below), the 1970 'cuda body was a "hurry up" build that was hastily constructed from the just-introduced, new MPC annual kit. I was finished just in time for the Detroit contest. The bodywork was rushed, and as a result had already started to deteriorate by the time of the Detroit show. (Some well placed, last minute decals along the edge of the hood partially obscured the flaws.)

After the show, I repainted the 'cuda body, hoping that would address the issue. The repainted body, now Candy Blue with the Revell Anglia kit's "Skippers Critter" livery, was entered with the rest of the model at the aforementioned Indy MPC Contest and won "1st Senior' at that show.

After the Indy show, the body, particularly the hood area (where I had replaced the kit's "shaker" hood scoop with a flat panel) showed profound distortion and wavy surfacing. The A pillars supporting the drooped roof - never entirely correct from the beginning - broke apart at the beltline. Frustrated to put it mildly, I stuck it all in a box ...

2v2Ha6BEdx9hi3o.jpg

....and built an entirely new body for the chassis - a much modified Mustang based on the MPC 1969 version of the Ohio George Gasser.

2v2Ha6f5yx9hi3o.jpg

That Mustang body has remained with the chassis all these years, while the original 'cuda body resided in a forlorn box for the next 49(!) years; with the optimistic label "1970 'cuda funny car resto" printed on the box end.

Finally, in 2019 during my restoration of the "Dominator" funny car model that won 4th nationwide in the Dodge/MPC/Car Model magazine contest, I was inspired to dig out that old box and at least try to strip the 'cuda body of the paint and see what the potential was to restore it to the original 1970 Detroit MPC appearance.

Photos and captions at the link below cover the many challenges I faced in trying to restore the old 'cuda body. Here are just a few of those images....

2v2Ha6Begx9hi3o.jpg
2v2Ha6fkdx9hi3o.jpg
2v2Ha66nLx9hi3o.jpg
2v2Ha6tUdx9hi3o.jpg
2v2Ha6tJNx9hi3o.jpg

It took until January 30, 2020 to complete the restoration, and some issues remain. After two restoration attempts, there are still some minor undulations in the hood surface and one small surface crack. I had to use 50 year old MPC decals to replicate the original appearance, and they proved to be very problematic during applications. Finally, I had to accept that in restoring any 50 year old model, there will be flaws that would be unacceptable in a newly-build model today. But finally, the model that shared the "Best Detail" award at what was then the World's Largest Model Car Contest - has now been returned to its original appearance.

2v2Ha6AkLx9hi3o.jpg
2v2Ha6AbWx9hi3o.jpg
2v2Ha6AYnx9hi3o.jpg
2v2Ha6AqFx9hi3o.jpg
2v2Ha6AMFx9hi3o.jpg

You can see full details of each step of the restoration of the concept, along with more photos of the completed resto and images and details of the chassis/engine, including images showing the actual operation (still works today!) of the Hydra-Slide chassis, at this link....

Whew! Thanks for looking, and thanks for your interest....TIM

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, dragcarz said:

So Tim, I have to ask, did you become an architect, and do you still collect stereo equipment...?

Roger....thanks for the comments.  In response to your question, here's what I wrote under that picture at my Fotki album presentation on the model...."(As far as that future architecture career mentioned in the text, I worked in an Architect's office over the summer of my Junior [high school] year and quickly determined that wasn't what I wanted to do for a career. I ended up working 35 1/2 years in the auto industry in a number of executive level positions in marketing, strategy, and design, and thank my lucky stars to this day I went that route instead of architecture!)"

Now about that stereo equipment....not long after that magazine appeared, I took out a loan (still as a 15 year old, with I think my father as a co-signer) at the Olsen Electronics Store in Ann Arbor and bought their AM/FM Stereo receiver and two Utah 3-way floor speakers with 12" bass cones.  I still have both; the speakers positioned (along with two other smaller, more recent ones) in my basement rec room setup.  Within a few months of starting work at Ford, my first big purchase newly enabled by my pay checks was two JBL 4311BX Studio Monitors; generally considered the best speakers in the world at that time, and notably used as the studio monitors in most professional studios where rock artists recorded and produced their albums (they were the commercial versions of the consumer oriented "JBL 100" speakers which included geometric cube foam speaker grilles - mine blessedly omitted that feature).  These now 42 year old speakers are still rockin' in my first floor family room, and man do they still kick out the jams.  It was a ridiculously expensive expenditure back in 1978, but has proven to be well worth it over the ensuing years.  Then, starting the in mid 1980's and continuing through today, my stereo equipment has  all been of the Kenwood brand, originally bought new and more recently, through acquisitions of used/renewed Kenwood components.  I know, I know, way too much info but you asked!  :) 

Thanks again for the question....TIM

• Like 1

Heh guys....thanks so much for your comments.  

Too be honest, as I was posting the pictures in my Fotki album, and then typing out the missive above along with its photos, I was really wondering whether anyone would find all this to be evenly remotely relevant in today's context.

For many years, the widespread view of the model car community (at least the view held by the magazine editors at the time - we're talking 10-20 years ago here) was that modelers didn't care a whit about the past history of the hobby.  I always thought that was a bit short sided, but the evidence at the time seemed to support their view.   Thankfully, you guys (and many others) have ultimately proved them wrong on this subject.  

I suspect all modelers have stories of their early years not unlike mine above; I do thank my lucky stars that I was able to save some of my earliest modeling endeavors and finally get to a point where I was able to invest the time to return them to their original "glory days" status. 

It is really gratifying to hear that you guys share my sentiment for this part of our model car legacy....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

Very nice restoration. It's nice to see that it survived and you took the time to restore it.  These old models are a look into our hobbies early history and our attempts at building in that era.  I have a lot of my own early attempts at modeling, some too far gone to attempt a restoration however There are a couple I am attempting to make presentable. I have to restrain myself not to over restore as can easily happen.  Great job Tim !

Great story and it's a blessing that your early models still exist!  I really like that you are restoring these too!

And you are right, the resto need not be perfect to year 2020 standards. It's better that these models  reflect the level of detail, finish and state of the hobby back in that era some 50 years ago!   

Edited by Tom Geiger

Tim, It's great to see someone take the time to rebuild one of their models that has marked the history of model making in its own way.

To be able to enjoy it in addition to the magazine and its original article is a fact that few model makers can do.

You are a key figure in this hobby and it is reassuring for the future where patience and the desire to accomplish oneself tend to disappear in favor of ease.

Long live this wonderful pastime and thank you for sharing this renaissance! Forward-thinking and Inspiring!

I agree with everyone else. Amazing modeling for the time and at 15! Wow. I think I was just getting the hang of rattle can painting at 15. I only have 3 survivors left, but they are not near a pretty as yours. 

Thanks for posting the pics, the link, and the great story. 

Scott

6 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Good MC5/Michigan reference! And the story of the model is extra cool, too.

Steve....Yes...you caught my MC5 reference.  Cool!  I more or less grew up in Ann Arbor, and back then (late 1960's) the MC5 frequently performed at the Gallup Park Sunday afternoon concerts (or at least that's what I think I remember), along with SRC, The Rationals, Iggy and the Stooges, and maybe even The Frost although I think they were more Grande Ballroom in Detroit (I was a little too young then to travel that far!) 

TIM 

2 hours ago, AAFC said:

Great story! Just wondering, Tim, was the Hydro-slide chassis inspired at all by the Ramchargers' chassis for their, I believe, '67 Dart funny? If I recall correctly, it was called the Torque Reaction. 

James...no it was purely copied after a second-tier 1969 Mustang Funny Car, featured in, I believe, in one of the East Coast drag racing mags back then.   I saved most of my mags back then but this one has eluded me....

TIM 

Tim, I have recently been restoring some of my older street rod builds as well, some of which you covered in SRM many, many years ago. I'm not changing the colors or details just repainting to freshen up some old paint and techniques. I'm surprised how may of them have survived nearly 30+ years and a few moves. Oh, and just for the record, your old Track T with V6 and flames is still inspiring to me this day.

Cal

• Like 1