Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020 Kits !

Mr mopar

1 hour ago, monza77 said:

It is my understanding that the original AMT  El Camino had the same wheelbase as the hardtops. The 1968 to 1972 El Caminos were built on the 4dr and wagon chassis (116.0 WB) vs the HT chassis (112.0 WB). Anyone ever compare the two ?

The AMT '69 Camino chassis is the correct length. That's why if you buy the Jimmy Flinstone '70 or '72 Elky resin bodies, which were made from '69s, repro '69 chassis are part of the deal. B)

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Given Revell's history of doing Baldwin-Motion versions of kits, it wouldn't surprise me if they did a '69 Chevelle B-M at a later date. 

B-M didn't build that many '69 Chevelles--and I've only found pics of a couple--but since these were 100% custom cars anyway, there's no reason you couldn't build your own following the various typical B-M mods of the day. 

A COPO/Yenko version would be interesting. (Except for the wheels and stripes, these are actually the same cars, as the '69 Yenko Chevelles were actually 9562 COPOs available in only limited colors.) 

54 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The AMT '69 Camino chassis is the correct length. That's why if you buy the Jimmy Flinstone '70 or '72 Elky resin bodies, which were made from '69s, repro '69 chassis are part of the deal. B)

Thanks for clearing that up.

15 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

.Probably will along w/ the Pro Touring style wheels and tires...wonder if they have made any engine or interior changes..

I was wondering when the Fast and Furious is over I don’t think we will see any reissues the cars my be collectible some day...

16 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

If it's photo you need of the 1971 GTX go to You Tube and type in Dom's 71 GTX to see the real car !

I found pics of the actual cars engine, I just didn't know if it was supposed to have something crazy in the movie that was talked about but never shown.

While many are sort of poo pooing the '69 Chevelle I'll be welcoming it as something new to play with. For those who wish to build an accurate COPO Chevelle a good reference of an original COPO is featured in the April 2020 issue of the Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine. We're coming up on the first of March and I'm holding a April issue ?? Many good pictures and an interesting story on the car. 

34 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I found pics of the actual cars engine, I just didn't know if it was supposed to have something crazy in the movie that was talked about but never shown.

The movie cars most likely used Chevrolet V-8's, so that they could have stunt cars that could be reliable, inexpensive and consistent. That's what they did with at least some of the Chargers used in later movies.

Per the movie's dialog, massively ridiculous horsepower figures were thrown out there- like "2000 horsepower", "3000 Horsepower" and "5000 horsepower". No description of the actual engine, though. Basically, it's a magic item conjured by Dom Toretto's sorcery.  

I think some of the JADA diecasts show a Gen III Hemi with an older 440 Six Pack style air cleaner.

If I were try to build one to "movie spec", I would try to do some kind of quad-turbo Gen III Hemi.  

Most likely we will be getting the stock engine (440 6bbl) with this kit, or maybe the stock block with some kind of crazy intake. 

I just hope they do a '72 Rear bumper setup. That would complete the outside look of the car, and it would be a nice piece to adapt to other builds.

2 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

The movie cars most likely used Chevrolet V-8's, so that they could have stunt cars that could be reliable, inexpensive and consistent. That's what they did with at least some of the Chargers used in later movies.

Per the movie's dialog, massively ridiculous horsepower figures were thrown out there- like "2000 horsepower", "3000 Horsepower" and "5000 horsepower". No description of the actual engine, though. Basically, it's a magic item conjured by Dom Toretto's sorcery.  

I think some of the JADA diecasts show a Gen III Hemi with an older 440 Six Pack style air cleaner.

If I were try to build one to "movie spec", I would try to do some kind of quad-turbo Gen III Hemi.  

Most likely we will be getting the stock engine (440 6bbl) with this kit, or maybe the stock block with some kind of crazy intake. 

I just hope they do a '72 Rear bumper setup. That would complete the outside look of the car, and it would be a nice piece to adapt to other builds.

well the engine is a 383 nothing fancy here with a small round air cleaner. that's all https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dom's+71+gtx&&view=detail&mid=62318DE131BDA5C57D0A62318DE131BDA5C57D0A&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddom%27s%2B71%2Bgtx%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

56 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

In that case, they could probably keep the current engine and dig up that old 4bbl intake from the original Monogram "Satellite" release. It would be nice to have that intake and Thermoquad car back, too.

3 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

The guys on Street Outlaws routinely throw out numbers in the 2-4000 HP range. Of course those aren't actual street cars, i.e., you can't imagine one being driven on an actual street to get somewhere. 

I'm pretty sure that their cars would have been competitive with ANY nitro funny cars of 1968, maybe '69, though. Maybe even up through 1970. That's why I watch those shows--they remind me of the early funny car and pre-Pro Stock match race circuses. Good times! B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

The guys on Street Outlaws routinely throw out numbers in the 2-4000 HP range. Of course those aren't actual street cars, i.e., you can't imagine one being driven on an actual street to get somewhere. 

I'm pretty sure that their cars would have been competitive with ANY nitro funny cars of 1968, maybe '69, though. Maybe even up through 1970. That's why I watch those shows--they remind me of the early funny car and pre-Pro Stock match race circuses. Good times! B)

I won't pretend to know the calculations myself, but there are calculations out there that can determine horsepower from vehicle weight and quarter mile time. I would guess that some homebuilt cars could get to 2000 horsepower nowadays, but that would be a fairly radical build. I think there were blown "street" cars that were built to about 1400 hp even 30 years ago.

"Street" driven would be relative. There are some people that would drive almost ANYTHING on the street if they could. It just comes down to what a given driver is willing to live with.

There are tales of Mopar Super Stock cars that were street driven (and street raced), even though they might not have been street legal, per se. There are stories of a few Hemi Darts & Barracudas that were nominally street driven when nearly new.

I do know of one guy who had a blown and tubbed '69 Camaro in the early 90's, in my old neighborhood. The springs in the back were so light, that nobody could sit in the back seat. He didn't drive it as much as park it, because it had a blower and a fuel cell, so both fuel economy and range (while using Cam-2) were severely limited. It really looked great sitting outside of the Roy Rogers all night Friday night, but in all the months he camped out there, I think I might have seen it rolling under it's own power maybe once.     

Now, a Hellephant engine is available from Mopar rated at 1000 HP, and with advancements in engine management, the new Hellcats & Demons at 700+ HP are drivable street cars. You can actually drive them for a little while now, too ;)

7 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Yep, that's the same car I saw too.

2-3000 on the bottle does not mean a real 2-3000hp. LOL. Saw Deep south the other day. Built motor for $4500. Not getting 2-3000hp for that. Tighty whitey dyno maybe

69 cool, FF RR too. B/M likely 

Maybe Round 2 will do wagon off 68 Elky?

Edited by keyser

2 hours ago, keyser said:

[Baldwin-Motion version]  likely . That would be quite nice . I'd also like to see Revell add a TH-400 to their line of their nice 396-427-454 engines .

Maybe Round 2 will do wagon off 68 [ El Camino ] . An issue of their lovely '68 El Camino with building options would be nice : non-A/C belt & pulleys ; L-79 (necessitating a non-SS grille)  ; camper shell ; L-88 bonnet ; etc. , etc.

On 2/27/2020 at 12:23 AM, slusher said:

I was wondering when the Fast and Furious is over I don’t think we will see any reissues the cars my be collectible some day...

Fast & Furious # 9 I believe is coming out this April or May and from what I hear, # 10 will be the last one.

The AMT 350Z can be hard to track down.....and it is far from movie correct. 

I like movie cars so I have all the kits....and there are a few that I'd like to see as kits. 

Tokyo Drift was the last FnF movie that was 'CAR' based.....after that they became car stunt movies. 

I'll buy the FnF Plymouth.....

f&f31 (1).JPG

f&f31 (10).JPG

FNFMITSU6.JPG

18 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

The AMT 350Z can be hard to track down.....and it is far from movie correct. 

I like movie cars so I have all the kits....and there are a few that I'd like to see as kits. 

Tokyo Drift was the last FnF movie that was 'CAR' based.....after that they became car stunt movies. 

I'll buy the FnF Plymouth.....

f&f31 (1).JPG

f&f31 (10).JPG

FNFMITSU6.JPG

Love those Dave, do you remember the yellow you used on the Monte Carlo? I have that kit...

33 minutes ago, High octane said:

Fast & Furious # 9 I believe is coming out this April or May and from what I hear, # 10 will be the last one.

After the last one Nick, they better be better or I will not go to see it. 8 was terrible to me and many cast members are gone. Thanks for telling me...

2 minutes ago, slusher said:

After the last one Nick, they better be better or I will not go to see it. 8 was terrible to me and many cast members are gone. Thanks for telling me...

I have enjoyed all of the F & F movies. Although they'll never get any awards, they do make money and that is the name of the game. Car movies just pump up my andrenalin and I enjoy the popcorn too.