Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020 Kits !

Mr mopar

I like that they're offering the extra wheels and tires plus the interior options on the '62 Impala. This is just like the old days when they would put everything in the box. Just think of the mix and match possibilities.  

12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I still can't make up my mind if I prefer the body color or chrome on the nose and rear of the GTX, as I do like them both.

IIRC It's the elastomere (sp?) option,  I like it...but wonder what changes have been made to the tool, the front bumper looks the same, side markers are still '71, I assume the rr wheel wells were enlarged to accommodate the fat tires (had to do the same when I modified mine into a restomod) 

23 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

I assume the rear wheel wells were enlarged to accommodate the fat tires

I wouldn't expect any changes, other than the addition of new parts. This is basically a pre-bankruptcy Foose branded kit, without the attached name and notoriety-- new front and rear suspension parts with higher mounting points, etc. It won't be nearly as low, nor the tires nearly as wide as the movie car, with the new wheels and tires designed to fit within the physical constraints of the existing kit's wheel wells.

I'll bet that Casey, has the right of it. This tooling was all done Pre-Bankruptcy, and is now being leveraged by Blitz to recover costs.

Still My favorite MOPAR, so It is great to have it back.

It looks like the Elky, is going to be a Full Box, as well. Turbo, Camper Shell, possibly the flat bed cover, and three sets of wheels. (of course most here will only see two sets, but the Low Rider guys will be thrilled to see the third set back too) I hope they throw in the Black Knight markings from one of the original issues. Cool Graphics.

None of the chassis's in the Foose kits were altered for the big wheels so I can't imagine this one would be either. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the bumpers will most likely be chrome as well. It sounds like this kit is meant to buildable both stock or as the F&F version so chroming them is the better option.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence the cover shot for the box is of the movie car, taken from a high angle...from which you really can't make out the wheels and tires much. Looking at the side shot of the model, it's barely lowered, with no "tuck" at all visible.

Really, this is one of Revell's best ex-Monogram refreshed kits (like the '70 Plymouth GTX-to-Roadrunner), so I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up, especially since this new issue will include the non-Air Grabber style hood.

The ElCo still includes a set of staggered offset 1/24 scale Cragar S/S wheels, too, so good to have it back, too.

On 3/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Fat Brian said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the bumpers will most likely be chrome as well. It sounds like this kit is meant to buildable both stock or as the F&F version so chroming them is the better option.

I agree. Much like my Monogram '71, with the chrome bumper parts, it's preferable to have this choice, as stripping them is a whole easier than re-chroming them.

Edited by Roadrunner

6 hours ago, Dave Van said:

We'll have to see.....doubt any tooling changes as in body mods.......parts swapping from other versions...yes. I am happy that it will have stock stuff....a good kit. 

Plymouth3.JPG

Dave, is this release different then the last release under Previous ownership?

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Dave, is this release different then the last release under Previous ownership?

•  

Just reading the box info, no inside info, it looks like Revell is mixing different parts from the past versions, added a few new parts, to create this version. Only when we get it will we know. Unless Ed Sexton wants to chime in!!! 

4 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Just reading the box info, no inside info, it looks like Revell is mixing different parts from the past versions, added a few new parts, to create this version. Only when we get it will we know. Unless Ed Sexton wants to chime in!!! 

Thanks Dave!

2 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

I'm only in for the '69 Chevelle...

Maybe the '62 ... a '62 Biscayne 

would've been awesome  !!!

I would be in on a Biscayne also but Revell already had the Impala molds and with a little change in trim we have this new and improved version. I have seen pictures of MCW's Resin Biscayne that was based off of the AMT Bel Air kit and who ever did the master must know their Biscayne's since the roof looks correct. The big bonus on all of these new reissues is that Revell is pouring a lot of extra goodies in the box. 

On 2/25/2020 at 9:43 AM, Plowboy said:

Also hope they fixed the dash and door panels.

I did not buy the 68 kit as I have to be stingy with my new kit budget. As the owner of a real deal 69 Malibu, I have been impatiently waiting on the 69 that we all knew was coming at some point.  So I have no first hand knowledge of any issues with the 68 dash. That being said, if the folks at Revell did their research properly, the dash for the 69 version should be a completely different part. The bezels on the 68 dash are square and the 69 ones are round.

Edited by Toner283

7 hours ago, Toner283 said:

I did not buy the 68 kit as I have to be stingy with my new kit budget. As the owner of a real deal 69 Malibu, I have been impatiently waiting on the 69 that we all knew was coming at some point.  So I have no first hand knowledge of any issues with the 68 dash. That being said, if the folks at Revell did their research properly, the dash for the 69 version should be a completely different part. The bezels on the 68 dash are square and the 69 ones are round.

The problem with the '68 door panels is they're too thick (2mms each) at the top and cause them to lean in. They can be fixed. But, the dash can't. It's leaned in on each side and is 4 mms too narrow. The instrument cluster details are leaned and crowded looking. The whole dash is just inaccurate. I posted photos in the review thread of the '68 if you want to see them.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I just saw where several dealers are taking pre-orders for the GTX kit, and are calling it "New Tooling".  Anybody got info on that?

New optional wheels and tires, and new optional lowered suspension pieces, but basically the same old 1/24 Monogram Revell '71 Plymouth GTX kit.

• Select between stock and custom wheel combinations.
  • Select between stock and custom tire combinations.
  • Optional Stock and lowered suspension.
  • Molded in white and clear with chrome plated parts and soft black tires.
  • 87 Parts

1 minute ago, Casey said:

New optional wheels and tires, and new optional lowered suspension pieces, but basically the same old 1/24 Monogram Revell '71 Plymouth GTX kit.

• Select between stock and custom wheel combinations.
  • Select between stock and custom tire combinations.
  • Optional Stock and lowered suspension.
  • Molded in white and clear with chrome plated parts and soft black tires.
  • 87 Parts

IIRC the movie car is a '72, so it will be a lookalike at best.

Oh , how I long for a 1972 Road Runner .  Certainly , I have an MPC 1971 R.R. (1987 issue) and the Modelhaus '72 R.R. front and rear bumpers (etc.) , but a newer tooling would be even better . The Monogram-come-Revell 1971 GTX is the perfect basis for a replica of the 1972 440 Six Barrel R.R. that's been exhibited over the last few years .

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Oh , how I long for a 1972 Road Runner .  Certainly , I have an MPC 1971 R.R. (1987 issue) and the Modelhaus '72 R.R. front and rear bumpers (etc.) , but a newer tooling would be even better . The Monogram-come-Revell 1971 GTX is the perfect basis for a replica of the 1972 440 Six Barrel R.R. that's been exhibited over the last few years .

Round-2 has the perfect starting point; their 71 Charger.