Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020 Kits !

Mr mopar

On 7/22/2020 at 7:45 AM, Dave Van said:

My build was inspired by this car from the real 'Gone in 60 seconds'.  I do not like the vinyl top....but now that the kit is coming back I may build it too......

You'll need a set of these (save, reduce and print) - oddly, it had Illinois plates:

1427839285_gi60s71roadrunner.jpg.3e5a073c08ab86b8e8e4ed7d33b4b387.jpg

On 3/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Per the Firebird...  I never liked the nose on this car!   Years ago a friend of mine in NJ had a brother who ran an auto repair shop in Tennessee.  Cars down there were rust free, especially clean of the dreaded rear window surround rust commonly found on up North cars!   He wanted a nice reliable daily driver, so his brother rebuilt the car top to bottom for him.  He flew down and drove it home.   It was a very nice car even though I didn't like the nose!  

Oh, man... heresy! I'm the opposite. I think that's the most beautiful T/A ever made. The "Gen 2.4" (i.e. '79-81) nose and tail are simply perfection in my eyes. Of course, I own an '80, so I'm biased. 

Since I'm a T/A guy, I of course, have that kit. It's not very good. It seems there are no really good T/A kits of that generation in 1/24 or 1/25, and almost all kits in all scales get major details, like the tail lights, wrong. I wouldn't bother with this one, although it pains me as a T/A Owner to say that...

5 hours ago, Faust said:

Oh, man... heresy! I'm the opposite. I think that's the most beautiful T/A ever made. The "Gen 2.4" (i.e. '79-81) nose and tail are simply perfection in my eyes. Of course, I own an '80, so I'm biased. 

Since I'm a T/A guy, I of course, have that kit. It's not very good. It seems there are no really good T/A kits of that generation in 1/24 or 1/25, and almost all kits in all scales get major details, like the tail lights, wrong. I wouldn't bother with this one, although it pains me as a T/A Owner to say that...

For what it's worth, I have the 1/24 turbo firebird snap kit and the 1/8 turbo trans am and the 1/8 '79 Trans am kits from Monogram. All of them seem very nice, though you will pay a fortune for the big kits, and the small kits are snap. I got good results out of the MPC 1/16 firebird as well.

TApic01.jpg.b7fbb330720604ff1b1d2512bf297c42.jpg

Edited by Hawk312

Wow!!!

That looks fabulous! 

The Snap Kit's good, eh? Yeah, I don't think I'll every be able to afford the big kits, atlhough I do have the Round 2 reissue of the '79 Tenth anniversary (which isn't presented as such)  in 1/16. It's generally nice looking, but the tail lights are so, soooooo WRONG. Seriously, did they even look at a T/A?

Nice work on that one, though, man!

23 hours ago, Hawk312 said:

For what it's worth, I have the 1/24 turbo firebird snap kit and the 1/8 turbo trans am and the 1/8 '79 Trans am kits from Monogram. All of them seem very nice, though you will pay a fortune for the big kits, and the small kits are snap. I got good results out of the MPC 1/16 firebird as well.

TApic01.jpg.b7fbb330720604ff1b1d2512bf297c42.jpg

I'd love to have the Monogram 1/8th scale kit, but not at any cost....

• 3 weeks later...

*lights a dumpster fire of speculation*

Ya know what's interesting there? The fact that the Super Bee is listed as 1/25 scale. 

Hobby Search has the scale correct on the S-10, which more than a few people I've talked to think is 1/24 because Monogram, even though the kit came out in 1993, well after Monogram started making 1/25 kits.  They also have the scale correct on the '78 El Camino (which was also added along with the other expected kits from the last announcement) as 1/24.

Also interesting is the lack of a photo of the model. The S-10 which some rumors had as destroyed or at least the stock parts lost hasn't been run for a lot longer than the last reissue of the Monogram Super Bee (which last saw action in 2009). Seemingly odd that Revell managed to test shot the molds on that kit and get one to the box art guys, but not a more recently run and presumably known condition Dodge. 

Last factoid, Hobby Search doesn't just go find a photo. If you don't supply an image to them, the pre-order would go up without one and a genetic "Coming Soon" shadow box. So someone supplied the photo of the real car to go with the listing.

Go forth and speculate rampantly!

Edited by niteowl7710

19 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

*lights a dumpster fire of speculation*

Ya know what's interesting there? The fact that the Super Bee is listed as 1/25 scale...

Also interesting is the lack of a photo of the model...

I had the same thought! We usually don't see 1:1 car images used by Revell, unless the kit is in development. Bring on the 1/25 Super Bee!  ?

11 minutes ago, Matt T. said:

I had the same thought! We usually don't see 1:1 car images used by Revell, unless the kit is in development. Bring on the 1/25 Super Bee!  ?

I'll speculate. :)

I have been stumping for years for Revell to use the 1/10 master for their '69 Super Bee (if it still exists) to work up a '68 Coronet Super Bee or R/T in 1/25 (much like the way they used the 1/10 master or existing engineering for their 1/24 '70 Mustang Boss 429 to work up the 1/25 '69 Shelby and '69 Mustang Cobra Jet kits way back when).

Since the sale, my hopes for that move have just about died.

Unfortunately, I think it's just a picture of the car because they don't have a built example to photograph yet, and it's essentially going to be the 1/24 kit. Maybe they have tooled up a new standard hood and some other bits, though?   

Still- if they manage to come up with a 1/25 '68 Coronet out of that '69 kit, that would be boss.

34 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

I'll speculate. :)

I have been stumping for years for Revell to use the 1/10 master for their '69 Super Bee (if it still exists) to work up a '68 Coronet Super Bee or R/T in 1/25 (much like the way they used the 1/10 master or existing engineering for their 1/24 '70 Mustang Boss 429 to work up the 1/25 '69 Shelby and '69 Mustang Cobra Jet kits way back when).

Since the sale, my hopes for that move have just about died.

Unfortunately, I think it's just a picture of the car because they don't have a built example to photograph yet, and it's essentially going to be the 1/24 kit. Maybe they have tooled up a new standard hood and some other bits, though?   

Still- if they manage to come up with a 1/25 '68 Coronet out of that '69 kit, that would be boss.

Doubt the wood bucks are still around.  Must were tossed or given away. 

Computer design is mandatory anyway.  

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Doubt the wood bucks are still around.  Must were tossed or given away. 

Computer design is mandatory anyway.  

So would it be possible for them to derive CAD files from the existing tool, or would that be too far removed?

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

So would it be possible for them to derive CAD files from the existing tool, or would that be too far removed?

Scanning the 1/24 body would be a good start on a new tool 1/25......I do not see the German owners seeing that as good ROI....but never know!