Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1964 Olds Cutlass F85 Convertible

Casey

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I haven't seen a lot from Round 2 that has really interested me in recent years, but this one will be a definite must have when it is released.

It is also a very good sign of possible things to come!

A huge thumbs up to Round 2 for taking the risk to re-issue some of these terrific old long lost annuals!!

Steve

Definetly hats off to Round 2.  Glad Round 2 is doing this.  I beleive we will be seeing more now that Round 2 sees the demand and need to get these old annuals up into production again.

6 minutes ago, alexis said:

Mark, is a 1964 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Wagon that much bigger? I thought the the huge Battleship sized GM Wagons were a product of the later 1960's.

VC had a 5 inch longer wheelbase.   There was also a regular wagon on the regular wheelbase. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Enough difference that someone will point it out if you don't include it!  I'm pretty sure they also offered non-Vista wagons also.  Why the longer intermediate wagons?  Because Buick and Olds weren't offering full-size wagons in those years.

Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Fiesta Rocket 260 hp ( © GM Corp. CC-BY 3.0)

1964 Buick Le Sabre Station Wagon - Car Photo and Specs

Olds and Buick offered full-size wagons for 1964,.  Buick  next offered a full-size Estate wagon for 1970.  It was a one-year design, and probably cost a lot of money to tool for the body and glass.  GM then came out with the full-size wagons with the hidden tailgate for 1971.  Olds' version was the Custom Cruiser, and Buick carried on with the Estate name. 

So there was overlap between the mid-size and full-size wagons for '64, but not for the rest of the decade.  The longer wheelbase and Vista roof gave Buick and Olds a unique identity, separated them from Chevy and Pontiac, and justified their higher price tags.  This was back when GM was still very good at separating each division with different features and identity while still sharing unseen, relatively mundane items like chassis and inner sheet metal.

45 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Olds and Buick offered full-size wagons for 1964,.  Buick  next offered a full-size Estate wagon for 1970.  It was a one-year design, and probably cost a lot of money to tool for the body and glass.  GM then came out with the full-size wagons with the hidden tailgate for 1971.  Olds' version was the Custom Cruiser, and Buick carried on with the Estate name. 

Very odd that Buick and Olds didn't do a full-size wagon from '65-70 (except for the '70 Buick).  That '70 Buick full size wagon presumably shared the roof and glass w/ the Chevy and Pontiac B-body wagons.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

So there was overlap between the mid-size and full-size wagons for '64, but not for the rest of the decade.  The longer wheelbase and Vista roof gave Buick and Olds a unique identity, separated them from Chevy and Pontiac, and justified their higher price tags.  This was back when GM was still very good at separating each division with different features and identity while still sharing unseen, relatively mundane items like chassis and inner sheet metal.

Mark,

The Sport Wagon ('64) and Sportwagon ('65-72) and Vista Cruiser had an optional front-facing third seat.  Chevy had a rear-facing third seat, which Dad refused to buy.  I think the Pontiac Safari also had a rear-facing third seat as an option.  We had a 2nd generation '68 Vista Cruiser, which was a bit narrower than our '68 Wildcat.  It was a great handling car for its time and size.  The wheelbase should have been several inches longer to provide wider rear doors and some legroom for the third seat.  The tinted roof panels were really something.

Rob,

I think you are correct that the '70 Estate wagon shared the same basic body stampings as the Safari and Impala/Caprice wagons.  Each division had unique exterior sheetmetal such as doors, fenders, quarter panels and hood.

Getting slightly off track, GM intermediates in the '68-'72 time frame sometimes shared the same roofline, but had different quarter window treatment (for coupes and two-door hardtops).  Compare the '69 and '70 Chevelle which have different quarter windows but share the same roof.  Another example is the '68 GTO/Le Mans versus the Cutlass/442.  The difference in quarter window shape there is due to the bottom of the window area as designed into the quarter panel!  

On 12/12/2020 at 10:33 PM, 1972coronet said:

I'm hoping that someone will make a hardtop for this bad boy . Certainly , a 4 door body can't be far behind --- the B09 sedan ! 

Given the popularity of 1:1 4-doors, and police models in the plastic world, this could make a good seller, especially if care is taken to include correct equipment. I don't know how many departments actually ordered these (if any), but if there were some, the correct decals would be pretty neat. If not, this would be a good car to use as a detective's/supervisor's/cheif's car.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:47 AM, alexis said:

Mark, is a 1964 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Wagon that much bigger? I thought the the huge Battleship sized GM Wagons were a product of the later 1960's.

The Vista Cruiser and Sport Wagon shared the 120" with the El Camino, as I remember reading, so that frame was used on all of them, helping adjust the costs of the frame and long driveshaft. The frame horns would differ to accept the different bumpers/front ends.

I would use a '65 El Camino as a starting point for the under-carriage, and then modify from just in front of the rear wheels by swapping in the Chevelle rear 1/3 of its chassis plate, cutting as flush as possible to the leading edge of the wheelhouses.

The body would require grafting lengthened rear doors onto the Chevelle, and changing the quarters over to the Olds, probably using some sheet plastic to blend things in. The tailgate, I think, had an applique' like the trunk on the F-85, so that would need to be added, too. The El Camino roof could be used to fill in the space between the raised section of the Vista Cruiser roof and the front. The raised bump on the back of the Chevelle roof could be cut out and lifted to form the sky-view windows. The only way to form the sky-view windows would be thin sheet plastic, curved to correct contour, glued in place, with very thin plastic around the openings for the trim.

A 2-seater would be easiest to replicate. Start by pretty-well hacking up the Chevelle interior, including removing the front seat. Sand the front seat smooth, and replicate the Olds' rear-seat upholstery pattern on it. The sides, once cut, should have the Olds' front door panels spliced in part into the rear door of the of the Chevelle panels, after sanding them smooth. Use Evergreen and a scriber to match the Olds door-panel.

Yep, lots of work, and not easy, but it can be done.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Wood graining was optional on the '67 Sportwagon and standard on the '67 Vista Cruiser Custom.  It wasn't available on the earlier models, so it would be "easier" to make a Vista Cruiser model, but it's not an easy task.

Edited by Motor City
correcting comments on wood graining availability

8 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

The Vista Cruiser and Sport Wagon shared the 120" with the El Camino, as I remember reading, so that frame was used on all of them, helping adjust the costs of the frame and long driveshaft. The frame horns would differ to accept the different bumpers/front ends.

The El Camino of that generation had the same 115" wheelbase as other regular A-bodies.   Only the Vista Cruiser and Sport Wagon had the 120" wheelbase. 

Just found out that Round 2 is re-issuing the 1964 Old's F-85 Convertible kit, in March of 2021.  Too Bad I have an original issue kit but with 20% of the parts off the sprues. I think the value just took a nose dive. Well I think that I will build this one stock and get the new issue to build the Race version with the Judson Super chargers. My kit is 100% complete so if Round 2 leaves any custom or race parts out, I will have them. Just need some decent decals, since mine are useless at at 57 years of age. I never expected to see this kit available again ever. Ditto on the new 1963 Nova wagon. My wish is to have Round 2 re release the AMT " Wild Dream" and "Uncertain T" double kit, if it still exists. Anyone know if it does ?

AMT-R2-1200-2.jpg

Eric...the chassis/suspension/engine assemblies for both the Wild Dream and King T kits are still around.  They've reappeared in various forms countless times under various MPC show rod kits, as well as their "Monster" kits series.   

The Wild Dream and King T bodies and interiors, however, and to the best of my knowledge, only saw two issues (the original AMT Double Kit in 1965, and the individual two MPC kits that appeared a year later in 1966).  As to whether those body inserts still exist, anybody knows, but my guess is probably not.  

Best....TIM 

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Wow!

I thought we might have to wait a while, but I never expected to wait 100 years!! :lol:

Steve

Whoops! Yeah, of course I meant March of 2021. ?  But, you never know. We have seen some long delays from model manufacturers in the past. I'm still waiting for that '71 Demon 340 Round 2 claimed was on it's way. And the '50 Studebaker Ertl promised us long ago. Thankfully, I didn't have to put any money down on those two. But, Model Roundup did take my money for F-85 Cutlass. So assuming that one is really happening. And before March of 2121. 

I hope it's coming this March. I'm not sure I'll be around in 2121! 

Edited by unclescott58

14 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Whoops! Yeah, of course I meant March of 2021. ?  But, you never know. We have seen some long delays from model manufacturers in the past. I'm still waiting for that '71 Demon 340 Round 2 claimed was on it's way. And the '50 Studebaker Ertl promised us long ago. Thankfully, I didn't have to put any money down on those two. But, Model Roundup did take my money for F-85 Cutlass. So assuming that one is really happening. And before March of 2121. 

I hope it's coming this March. I'm not sure I'll be around in 2121! 

I contacted Round 2 a few months ago about the 71 Dodge Demon.  They stated to me that they will not be releasing it at this time  This was back in June..