Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kitbashed 1970 'cuda 340 factory resto

tim boyd

A model I've been wanting to build for what...just about 50 years now.  Just finished last week and never seen outside my workroom until tonight.    

A 1970 'cuda built just the way I would have ordered it from the factory had a been a few years older when it came out. 

DSC 0714

14 other overall and detail shots at this link...and thanks for looking....TIM

PS - thanks to several of you, particularly Bill Geary and Bill Coulter, for body refinement ideas and approaches; those thoughts largely paralleled my own thoughts and helped to reinforce my work plan ....TB 

Edited by tim boyd

I like how you setup the photo link for additional pictures. Considering the era that this build is set in this would be considered very understated. I agree with you on the appearance, this is a really great looking build. Great paint color and finish. The side stripes are just enough. Very cleanly detailed. 

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Beautiful build, Tim! You have great taste. What kit is this, the new Revell? 

Hi Richard....it's a kitbash of the new Revell AAR and (2013 issue) Hemi 'cuda kits, with a lot of refinement to the body to more closely replicate the proportions and body surfaces of the real car....thanks for asking ....TIM ////////////

Thanks everybody for your comments and feedback.  

David...agreed this one skews to the understated side...which was always my preference in the muscle car world.  That's also probably why I felt the 1971 version of the 'cuda was a complete and utter failure....overstated in every possible way.  Of course, collectors to day love both versions, but supporting your point, the '71 seems to be a bit more highly valued even now...

Glad you guys liked the car and the build....Best Regards everyone....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

15 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Hi Richard....it's a kitbash of the new Revell AAR and (2013 issue) Hemi 'cuda kits, with a lot of refinement to the body to more closely replicate the proportions and body surfaces of the real car....thanks for asking ....TIM ////////////

Thanks for the clarification. The term "resto" threw me...I was wondering if it was a rebuild of an original MPC, or something of the kind. 

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks for the clarification. The term "resto" threw me...I was wondering if it was a rebuild of an original MPC, or something of the kind. 

Richard....got 'ya....that term "resto" I used was intended to apply to a model built to replicate a 1/1 scale car restoration , fresh from the shop.  Sorry for less-than-clear use of words! 

Best....TIM  

27 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Nice BS23H0 , Tim !  EB5 with black interior ; excellent choice . 

I recognise black primer on the underside --- must've been built in Los Angeles ? 

Heh John....true confessions time.....that black is intended to replicate the factory applied undercoating applied over the gray primer to the driveshaft tunnel, front and rear wheel wells, and area underneath the rear axle, which is what I''ve seen on some restorations.   Unfortunately, my airbrush was misfiring for that application and things got really sloppy!   

Thx for the comments on the body/interior color combo.  I originally was thinking the EB5 with the mid-year White with Blue interior, then the White with Black interior, which is really better for model cars as the interior details are easier to see, but then I went with the Black as that is without question what I would have ordered for the real car.  Why not the White with Blue or Straight blue interior?  I already built the Revell Hemi-'cuda back in 2013 in the black exterior with blue interior combo, and didn't want another one in the display case. 

Best....TIM l

DSC 0717

DSC 0726

Edited by tim boyd

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

that black is intended to replicate the factory applied undercoating applied over the gray primer to the driveshaft tunnel, front and rear wheel wells, and area underneath the rear axle, which is what I''ve seen on some restorations.

The effect certainly works . It's not very often that someone goes through the added effort to replicate the undercoating ( or , "blackout" in some instances ) in those areas , especially on the radiator core support .