Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/25 289 Cobra--1st look, (I think)

Well this is kind of bizarre.   The box is labeled 1962 289.  In 1962 Cobras had 260s and no flared fenders and what looks like the large grille opening and the exhaust pipes exiting the body and not under the frame which appears to be a leaf sprung chassis.  Then there is the grille bars which comp Cobras did not use. 

I do not have experience with the 1/25 Sunny kit which was a mishmash of features but it sure looks like that is what it is. The one option I can think of is to graft an AMT nose on and call it an FIA.

I think JC is familiar with the Sunny kit and can join in.

Edited by Gramps46

Revell is re-issuing the Sunny/Academy/Minicraft kit.  It most closely represents an AC 289 which was a 427 body/chassis with the small block 289 engine. 

With a little work the kit can be built as a FIA Roadster:

DSCN4457DSCN3181

With a little more work (to be accurate this requires changing the suspension to coil-overs) it can also be built as a 427:

DSCN3470DSCN2977

Edited by afx

4 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Well this is kind of bizarre.   The box is labeled 1962 289.  In 1962 Cobras had 260s and no flared fenders and what looks like the large grille opening and the exhaust pipes exiting the body and not under the frame which appears to be a leaf sprung chassis.  Then there is the grille bars which comp Cobras did not use. 

I do not have experience with the 1/25 Sunny kit which was a mishmash of features but it sure looks like that is what it is. The one option I can think of is to graft an AMT nose on and call it an FIA.

Check to see if the badge engraving on the front fender says 427. My Minicraft branded version, labelled on the box as a 289, has the 427 emblem on the fender.

Edited by Bainford

4 hours ago, lucky 130 said:

Ray, don't throw your money down a black hole. It is one of the most inaccurate kits I've ever seen.

I have the Sunny kit and aside from a few unique parts as others have said it’s not as bad as putting a Cobra badge on a Miata but if nothing else it’s a starting point if you want to mix and match parts with some of the HRM parts.  So if it’s over $20 I’d say pass unless you really got to have it for the box art and maybe the decals or wheels.

10 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Actually, if you're careful, you can carve the grille opening down to fit the 289 grille and just have to fill in a bit along the bottom.  It is not perfect by any means, but it is another body in 1/25 to monkey with.

It does show how much RoG does NOT care about American subjects.  1962 Cobra....right..

Sunny brought that thing out ages ago. Shel didn’t know or didn’t bother. 
they called it an AC originally. Prob stood for Absolute CXxx ? 

Arii/etc should have been burned at stake for the C111 though

Edited by keyser

Since we are mentioning disappointing Cobra’s let me show the one that disappointed me . This kit sure looks like a replica of the Shelby Super Snake . When I got it and opened it up I discovered it is just a stock standard kit . Not the right engine and not the right correct hood . False advertising I think . 

D9E4BE03-1764-4345-AE8F-F48605833CC8.jpeg

Wix did a diecast of the super snake I think. They did awesome 427 s/c. 
if it wasn’t them it was Franklin Mint Franklin Mint 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake Limited Edition  Sry. 
One very cheap on bay now. 

Edited by keyser

25 minutes ago, keyser said:

Wix did a diecast of the super snake I think. They did awesome 427 s/c. 
if it wasn’t them it was Franklin Mint Franklin Mint 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake Limited Edition  Sry. 
One very cheap on bay now. 

Both covered very well down in the Diecast section. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Both covered very well down in the Diecast section. 

I know that. Unsure if many others wander down that far to the diecast section. Ray does. 

Yes, sir!! Sorry, won't do it again. Didn't think it was offensive LOL. 

People get upset about the darndest things. Complaining about inconsequential stuff makes me laugh. 

Edited by keyser

7 hours ago, keyser said:

I know that. Unsure if many others wander down that far to the diecast section. Ray does. 

Yes, sir!! Sorry, won't do it again. Didn't think it was offensive LOL. 

People get upset about the darndest things. Complaining about inconsequential stuff makes me laugh. 

Wasn't offensive. Not "upset." Just pointing it out for those who might be interested. 

As Sgt. Hulka said....:lol: