Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rodding trends - Lack of Model Ts?

Looking at the models on this board, the general trend seems to be for post-1929 vehicles, with a noticeable lack of Model T-based vehicles. When I was more in touch with trends in rods in the mid 1960s to early 1970s, the kits in the shops and the prototype mags I saw back then were heavily T-based from what I remember.

Have I missed something, or has the T fallen out of favour in modelling and/or the real thing?

steve

You don't see many Model T rods at car meets nowadays.
A Model T hot rod is quite easy and cheap to build but it seems like the later 28-31 Model A and 32-34 are more popular subjects, maybe because they are more useful and has better comfort and ride...I don't know.
But a cool Model T hot rod is allright i my eyes.

Edited by Force

Back when Model Ts were new, the average man weighed around 150 lbs.  Since then, some "evolution" has taken place rendering a T not so comfortable for the modern man.

I've noticed this with Willys coupes, both as drag cars and street rods.  At first the '37-'42 cars were favored, then racers went for the smaller, lighter '33-'36 coupes.  The pendulum seems to have shifted back to the later cars, as they are roomier than the early ones.

I think someone said that Model Ts back then were everywhere and were dirt cheap, whereas 32 Fords were made for 1 year and were already enormously popular. IE: supply and demand. Nowadays, you can buy either as a mass produced kit car. So if people have a choice....

Add to that the fact that Model Ts have limited legroom and cabin space and that we tend to be larger than we used to be - well, you get the idea.

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I think someone said that Model Ts back then were everywhere and were dirt cheap, whereas 32 Fords were made for 1 year and were already enormously popular. 

I've heard more than once that '32 Fords had poor resale value early on, particularly the V8 cars.  And that a good Model A Ford was worth more, and was easier to sell.

During the Depression, those fortunate few with the ability to buy a used car usually went with a known quantity.  There were a lot of myths about the V8 engine ("it used twice as much gas", "the cylinders are on a slant and will wear on the lower side"), things like that.  On top of that, there were a lot of problems with the early V8 engines.  So someone watching their wallet would gravitate towards something like the A, which was generally thought of as a good car.

As far as model cars go (in scale) I think with the recent emergence of new 29 kits a large majority seem to be building them more. I am getting near the end of my 29/32 phase and getting back to my T Bucket phase working on a Bob Johnston version of Tweedy along with a Roth version. Also a Kookie Car and a few random builds.  

I think Jon hit the nail on the head. I think any of us would like to build a T but for the most part the T kits date to the originals and while very nice at the time they leave a little to be desired next to the kits of later model vehicles issued since then. A new T kit with todays tooling might be more popular with buyers than what we had 20 years ago. 

The problem with the T kits is they all seem to have the same interior buckets. You need to do some scratch building to have something different. R&M has a few interior kits for the A and 32 but nothing for the T Bucket. But thats why we are builders and not just assemblers  

31 minutes ago, espo said:

I think Jon hit the nail on the head. I think any of us would like to build a T but for the most part the T kits date to the originals and while very nice at the time they leave a little to be desired next to the kits of later model vehicles issued since then. A new T kit with todays tooling might be more popular with buyers than what we had 20 years ago. 

Yah. The newest of them is, what, the ex-MPC "Switchers" T, which dates to the mid '70s? 

24 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I’d love to see Revell do their take on a T kit, like they’ve done with the Deuce kits and 29/30s

I know they HAVE T kits, but I’d be interested to see a modern-designed Revell take on a T.  Bet we’d see a bunch being built then!

Yah, me too, but I'm betting that's not a high priority on the new Euro-Revell's list. I think we'll be lucky if they get the '30 A Coupe tool up and running again. :unsure:

2 hours ago, espo said:

icm do a pretty good range of ts but they are all stock versions

It's kinda unlikely anyone today would build a real T rod on a T frame, 'cause any serious horsepressure would pretzel one.

So a dedicated T rod kit's just kinda unnecessary. There are plenty of T-bucket bodies floating around.

Build a T-bucket on one of the Revell or AMT model-A frames, or shortened '32 rails for something approaching reality.

What I'd REALLY like to see though, one of the all-time classic rod combinations never kitted, is the '26-'27 T body adapted to the recent Revell model A roadster kit.

26/'27 turtle deck T hot rod kits requested - Page 2 - Car Kit ...

Ace is onto something here!  I wonder if a very clever kit engineer could make a new 27 roadster body  fit the existing Revell  Model A/32 chassis AND the old Buttera T fender unit.  Sell it as the 27/32 combo with a  chopped screen but re-introduce the Revell T touring kit at the same time so that stock bodied builders would get a great donor kit.  it's a no-brainer and would fill a huge gap!

Back to the original question,  having been actively involved in Australian street rodding for nearly fifty years, like all things, trends come and go.  I would agree that there doesn't appear to be many new Model T based rods getting built right now but that doesn't mean that all the old T based rods aren't still out there.  

I've always thought that one of the greatest strengths of hot rodding is that everyone can live together.  Go to Louisville or Pleasanton and there will be retro rods alongside resto rods alongside billet rods, plus every other genre in between.   It's no good turning up at Indy, or Daytona, or Lemans with a twenty or thirty or forty year old race car but you can go to a rod run anywhere in whatever you've got.

The Revell Buttera series Ts were great kits and the AMT 25 T series weren't far behind.  Just a shame the 27 coupe and roadster were never tooled.  When it comes to buckets, the Switchers T that Snake mentioned is a great way to build a contemporary T bucket - it will require much less work that the AMT, Monogram or Revell versions.

Cheers

Alan

12 hours ago, espo said:

I don't know, I find the AMT 25 T double kit a very fun project, and it dates back to the early 60s!

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I don't know, I find the AMT 25 T double kit a very fun project, and it dates back to the early 60s!

I have to agree on that one and I also have built a few. While it is a fun quick build it's pretty basic as far as details, of course that leaves it up to the builder to fabricate everything and not everyone is into that much extra work. My point was to mention that nothing new has come along in a T for many years.