Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

A couple of realistic but very grim foreign WWII movies.  

"The Bridge" (Die Brücke), Germany 1959.  IMDB synopsis: "A group of German boys is ordered to protect a small bridge in their home village during the waning months of the second world war. Truckloads of defeated, cynical Wehrmacht soldiers flee the approaching American troops, but the boys, full of enthusiasm for the "blood and honor" Nazi ideology, stay to defend the useless bridge."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052654/

"Come and See," Russia 1985:  Partisan war against the Nazis in Belarus.  Director Elem Klimov fought Russian censors for 8 years to get this movie made.  When he finally got it made, Russian officials took it over and used it as a propaganda movie celebrating the Russian victory in WWII!  I'd call this one "unforgettable." However much you might want to forget it.  A caption at the end of the movie reads: "628 Belarusian villages were burnt to the ground with all their inhabitants."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

I mostly watched the new movie conjuring devil made me do it. 

I fell asleep during it, but the parts i saw didn't keep me interested. im going to rewatch it when im not tired. 

The show i really like was the reef. It was free with Amazon prime. Based on a true story. i thought it was excellent 

https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Damian-Walshe-Howling/dp/B07PH3YKC5/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=the+reef&qid=1623253585&sr=8-3

38 minutes ago, youpey said:

I mostly watched the new movie conjuring devil made me do it. 

I fell asleep during it, but the parts i saw didn't keep me interested. im going to rewatch it when im not tired. 

Thanks! I started it the day it became available but only made about 15-20 minutes before I was bored senseless. Kept thinking, "I've seen this before when it was called The Exorcist." In search of something else to watch I haven't seen, finally started watching House of Cards on Netflix, which I wasn't gonna do. OMG, whatta ride THAT thing is! I'm at the end of Season 2 now and I'd put it right up there with Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Ozark, Justified, or anything else you'd care to name. Wow! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

The Big Lebowski is on Netflix again this month, so I gave it another try. (It was discussed in another thread, the one about real crime movies, but that thread seems to have disappeared for some reason.) Although I'd seen it twice before, turns out I didn't remember anything about it except maybe some bowling. Not a great movie but not a horrible one, either. Not sorry I watched it but probably wouldn't want to see it again. 

Also saw The Untouchables again, which I hadn't seen since it first came out. I remembered it as pretty good, but I was wrong. It's pretty bad--a real hamfest. Definitely won't be watching that one again, ever. 

After waiting an entire year(Covid) we finally got to see"Quiet Place Part Two. White knuckle suspense just like the original Quiet Place. This has a couple pre-quile scenes at the beginning for those who didn't catch the first one. Very well made and enjoyable to see if you like monster movies. You can the original one on demand if interested.

10 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

After waiting an entire year(Covid) we finally got to see"Quiet Place Part Two. White knuckle suspense just like the original Quiet Place. This has a couple pre-quile scenes at the beginning for those who didn't catch the first one. Very well made and enjoyable to see if you like monster movies. You can the original one on demand if interested.

Thanks for the review! The original finally showed up on one of the streaming services I get so I got to see it a couple months ago--pretty good! I could have sworn I saw a commercial that said QP2 was going to be on the HBO-MAX deal for the first 30 days after its release, but it wasn't, so I must have been mistaken. I'll wait for it to show up streaming somewhere. 

41 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks for the review! The original finally showed up on one of the streaming services I get so I got to see it a couple months ago--pretty good! I could have sworn I saw a commercial that said QP2 was going to be on the HBO-MAX deal for the first 30 days after its release, but it wasn't, so I must have been mistaken. I'll wait for it to show up streaming somewhere. 

Our little village has the only theater in our county and all admissions are $ 5.00. Got to support on small single screen theatre within walking distance of our house plus see a good movie. Popcorn is great as well.

On 6/19/2021 at 3:07 PM, misterNNL said:

The Quiet Place.... what a stupid movie. A wasted hour and a half, two hours of my time watching that. 

Have heard a lot of buzz about the John Wick movies, so when I found them on free streaming (USA network), sat through all three of them.  Probably the best bad movies I've ever seen. 

I've said that the Bourne movies are basically a live action Road Runner cartoon. The Wick movies are basically a live action Tom & Jerry (or Itchy & Scratchy) cartoon with guns. Lots of guns. 

And what a tragic waste of a '69 Mustang. They probably wasted more than one, even sadder. :angry:

Your time would be better spent watching the Youtube videos of Keanu shooting real guns, which he got pretty good at in preparation for the movies. Halle Barry, too. 

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Have heard a lot of buzz about the John Wick movies, so when I found them on free streaming (USA network), sat through all three of them.  Probably the best bad movies I've ever seen. 

I've said that the Bourne movies are basically a live action Road Runner cartoon. The Wick movies are basically a live action Tom & Jerry (or Itchy & Scratchy) cartoon with guns. Lots of guns. 

And what a tragic waste of a '69 Mustang. They probably wasted more than one, even sadder. :angry:

Your time would be better spent watching the Youtube videos of Keanu shooting real guns, which he got pretty good at in preparation for the movies. Halle Barry, too. 

Compared to how many ‘69 Chargers the studio wrecked during the filming of Dukes of Hazzard television show.😏

On 6/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, Snake45 said:

The Big Lebowski is on Netflix again this month, so I gave it another try. (It was discussed in another thread, the one about real crime movies, but that thread seems to have disappeared for some reason.) Although I'd seen it twice before, turns out I didn't remember anything about it except maybe some bowling. Not a great movie but not a horrible one, either. Not sorry I watched it but probably wouldn't want to see it again. 

Also saw The Untouchables again, which I hadn't seen since it first came out. I remembered it as pretty good, but I was wrong. It's pretty bad--a real hamfest. Definitely won't be watching that one again, ever. 

The Big Lebowski has got to be one of the funniest movies ever.Two other very funny movies I just recently watched again for the umptinth time,was Train Spotting 1,and 2.The second one was funnier than the 1st,but they are both great flicks.Give them a go.🤣😂.

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

The Big Lebowski has got to be one of the funniest movies ever.

When I think "funniest movies ever," I think Animal House, This Is Spinal Tap, Raising Arizona, and Stripes. Deadpool and Deadpool 2 were pretty funny, too in their own way. And I laughed much more than I'd planned to at the "new" Nat Lamp Vacation

Just now, Snake45 said:

When I think "funniest movies ever," I think Animal House, This Is Spinal Tap, Raising Arizona, and Stripes. Deadpool and Deadpool 2 were pretty funny, too in their own way. And I laughed much more than I'd planned to at the "new" Nat Lamp Vacation

Oh without a doubt.”Animal House”is definitely one of the funniest movies,along with “Stripes”,and “Raising Arizona”Loved the classic “Spinal Tap”.Been years since I saw that one..”King Pin” was great,as well Adam Sandler’s,”That’s My Boy”Check it out if you haven’t seen it yet.Also “Theres Something About Mary”,&”Along came Polly”.But the very best movies have got to be Godfather 1,and 2.They rank in my top two movies. 

Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood !  was a great film . Classic 'alternate history' or 'revisionist history' at its finest . Whoever was in charge of recreating Spahn's Ranch (which burned-down in Sept. 1970) did a fantastic job with capturing its appearance . With the exception of a few historical inaccuracies --truly , only would be noticed by a geek like me-- the film really captures Los Angeles / Hollywood in 1969 .

Another stick of dynamite is Doctor Sleep . Many mind-bending vignettes and scenes . Carl Lumbly as Scatman Cruthers' character from The Shining is spot on ! 

Pink Floyd : Live At Pompeii -- Director's Cut (1974) . Excellent live and studio footage of the band at their -- in my opinion -- height . The 1974 Director's Cut is an 'improvement' upon the 1972 release , as it features Gilmour & company in the studios , and chatting during a meal at the studio canteen . 

Yes it was! My wife hates it when I do the scene where Papillion asks if he looks alright and says he feels pretty good. I think I do it pretty well and that's why she hates it so much.

That movie made me hate nuns because they double crossed him. LOL

45 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Papillon was an excellent movie.Great for a rainy day.Nice and long.And I’m talking about the original.,with Mr.Steve McQueen

523D5193-A381-4500-B5DD-E0C850D87430.jpeg

McQueen and Hoffman gave among heir best performances. If you want to see Dustin Hoffman in something completely different, search for Straight Time. It costars Theresa Russell, Gary Busey, Harry Dean Stanton, M. Emmet Walsh, and Kathy Bates. He made it just around the time he did Tootsie. The two performances couldn't be more different. Also, look up High Risk https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082516/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_102 Siskel and Ebert rated it as one of the top 10 hidden gems of the 80s along with Straight Time.

PS My brother visited Devils Island as a tourist back in the 90s.

18 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

McQueen and Hoffman gave among heir best performances. If you want to see Dustin Hoffman in something completely different, search for Straight Time. It costars Theresa Russell, Gary Busey, Harry Dean Stanton, M. Emmet Walsh, and Kathy Bates. He made it just around the time he did Tootsie. The two performances couldn't be more different. Also, look up High Risk https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082516/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_102 Siskel and Ebert rated it as one of the top 10 hidden gems of the 80s along with Straight Time.

PS My brother visited Devils Island as a tourist back in the 90s.

Devils island must have been amazing to visit.Maybe a bit scary.lol

I just finished the new Prime movie The Tomorrow War .  Don’t want to give much away but it is much the typical us against the aliens . In this one the us of the future come back to the now to get people to travel to the future to help fight the war we are loosing . If you like this type of movie you probably will enjoy it . My wife and I did . It’s a bit over two hours long . I would say it is pretty well done but seems like I have seen some aspects of it before in other movies .  At least it was free unless you count what we pay for the service .  

22 hours ago, cobraman said:

I just finished the new Prime movie The Tomorrow War .  Don’t want to give much away but it is much the typical us against the aliens . In this one the us of the future come back to the now to get people to travel to the future to help fight the war we are loosing . If you like this type of movie you probably will enjoy it . My wife and I did . It’s a bit over two hours long . I would say it is pretty well done but seems like I have seen some aspects of it before in other movies .  At least it was free unless you count what we pay for the service .  

without giving away anything, the last 10 or 15 minutes ruined the entire movie. it made the entire beginning of the movie pointless. Also they went from well versed in military to idiots.

Edited by youpey

Finally got to see Get Out (on FXX). An original and genuinely creepy movie--I liked it a lot. 

Also saw No Sudden Move on HBO/MAX. Pretty good and a bit offbeat, reminded me at some points of Tarantino and/or Cohen Brothers stuff. Don't waste your brainpower trying to figure out what it's about, they don't get around to telling you until the very end. Just enjoy the ride of whatever's going on on the screen at the moment. 

On 4/11/2021 at 12:49 AM, JollySipper said:

Have you guys seen a movie called "Big Fish"? Excellent Tim Burton flick, if you're into him at all....... I like all Burton's movies.

Yes, a couple of years ago. Didn't move me at all, found it to be meandering nonsense.

steve