Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

Best movie I ever saw that kept to the book was 'Day of the Jackal' written by Frederick Forsythe that was made in the 1960's starring English actor Edward Fox as the cold assassin. It was a superb film full of atmosphere about an assassination attempt on President De Gaulle in France and kept closely to the book. Far, far better than that abomination of a film 'Jackal' with Bruce Willis playing the lead that was very loosely based (and I mean very loosely) on a similar theme, different time, place and victim.

Frederick Forsythe has written a number of really good novels. I read 'Cobra' recently about a clandestine operation being set up to destroy many of the world wide narcotics cartels together. A brilliant read that would make a really good techno thriller.   If only Peter Jackman, Ridley Scott, or someone similar could pick this one up!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

I got to see ferarri this evening and it left me a little non plussed about it. The style it was filmed in looked great and had a very operatic feel to it but the screenwritting felt like someone from hallmark wrote it on their day off and their theasaurus was nearby. The visuals were impressive and the definite highlight of the movie and not just for some shiny red paint jobs. Overall itsa movie i can say I've seen but not one i'd add to my collection, though if i were a ferarri fan my opinion might be different. this is reviewed just as a movie

The Hateful Eight by Quentin Tarantino. We have been talking about watching some old movies that we enjoyed in the past and we can get this for free at our local Library instead of on our cable that offers free movies and pay for view on anything we would want to see. Being a Tarantino film you had better be comfortable with any plot that includes a curtain blood and mayhem plot. This is a western set in the years after the civil war during an approaching blizzard in the mountains. The lead in with the credits will make you want to get a heavy coat on. The actors include Samuel L. Jackson, one of my personal favorites, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, who plays her part very convincingly. Bruce Dern, Walton Coggins, Demian Bichir, Tim Roth and Michael Madsen. No one makes it out alive, but the under lying plots are interesting to watch unfold. Great acting and the wilderness setting is very believable. 

Gilles. One of my all time favorites. Yes, Pironi survived F1 (almost didn't) and then goes on to boat racing and dies. Some guys have to live life in the fast lane and it can catch up with them but that's the only way they know how to live.

I'll have to see if I can see this documentary.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

T-34. A Russian movie with subtitles. An intense action filled story about a Russian tank crew fighting the Germans in WW2. Was on the edge of my seat most of the time and once I got used to reading the subtitles I was fine with it. They did a great job giving you lots of in-tank views that added to the drama.

Kind of reminded me of Das Boot (German version) and what it's really like inside the machine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

1955 The Racers, starring Kirk Douglas and the intoxicatingly beautiful Bella Darvi. An unlikely story about a broke driver who destroys his own car at Monaco trying to avoid an errant poodle. The dog's owner turns out to be a ballerina who moonlights as a gambler, and with her winnings she buys him a second-hand machine in which he wins the Mille Miglia. Noticed by a top team, he's given a ride, wins the world championship, gets badly injured, makes a comeback, gets cocky, etc. etc. etc. 

Not a great film, but great period front-engined formula and sports cars (when's the last time you saw an Osca MT4?), European scenery, and worth watching just for Bella Darvi...assuming you like sophisticated '50s-style French women.

image.png.c0e54332559f387e706f577c36b60a6d.png       PS: It's free on YT.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

Roadhouse (2024) An absolutely STUPID remake! The acting is BAD and the script is ridiculous. After beating up the biker gang that is hired to harass the owner of the road house…Dalton (Jake Gyllenhaal) gives them all a ride to the hospital and one of them thanks him for the ride???🙄 Yeah…totally believable.🤯

The wife and I watched the current version of Roadhouse last night. 

Wasn't expecting much going in but we liked it. The action was great, it had a sense of humor and didn't take itself too seriously. If you're looking for a serious movie, this ain't it.

Overall, if your expecting a shot for shot of the original, you'll be disappointed but if you take it for what it is, a different story that's similar to the original but still it's own thing, it's a pretty good, fun time waster. 

Went and saw Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire last night.

Was pretty good. Not as good as the last one (Afterlife) but still a fun watch.

Story is a little cliché, so I think it's totally time to hang up the proton packs.

The Marvel franchise went the same way. After Endgame, every Marvel movie has been the same thing rehashed: a massive threat is...well...threatening to end life as we know it, cue the heroes to save the day. THe movies are still okay, but just not as interesting now.

Same for Ghostbusters. At least with Afterlife, it was an interesting storyline, with the new characters and whatnot. 

Frozen Empire is good, but just not as interesting. 

Makes me want to build my Ecto-1 though.

:)

I watched the original ghostbusters last night for probably the first time in 25 years or more. It still holds up but the thing that stuck out to me the most was how much smoking was in it. It seemed like it was every time you saw the male actors they had a cig in their hand

On 3/24/2024 at 7:12 AM, NOBLNG said:

Roadhouse (2024) An absolutely STUPID remake! The acting is BAD and the script is ridiculous. After beating up the biker gang that is hired to harass the owner of the road house…Dalton (Jake Gyllenhaal) gives them all a ride to the hospital and one of them thanks him for the ride???🙄 Yeah…totally believable.🤯

I am not a Jake Gyllenhaal fan or his sister.  Love and other drugs with Ann Hathaway is the only movie I liked him in. Road house should not have been remade..

17 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I watched the original ghostbusters last night for probably the first time in 25 years or more. It still holds up but the thing that stuck out to me the most was how much smoking was in it. It seemed like it was every time you saw the male actors they had a cig in their hand

True. And they actually address Ray's smoking habit in the new movie!

20 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

saw Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

We went and seen the movie Friday afternoon. Like you said it's not as good as afterlife, But it's actually doing better in it's first 4 days than afterlife had. Since March 25, it's made more then 2 millon dollars more than Afterlife in it's opening week! As for Afterlife FX has been showing the movie , and we watched it Yesterday late afternoon.....

On Friday's Our local cinema has a deal for seniors . The first movies of the day are $5.00 , and they also get a bag of popcorn with a soda for free. So for my roommate and I it cost a total of $27.00! His ticket is $5.00, mine $10.00. Bucket of Popcorn $7.00 plus a large drink $5.00. Free refill's on both the bucket and drink! My roommate can down almost 2 buckets of the popcorn. Plus we can bring home the refill's!

• 2 weeks later...

I was visiting in WA, stayed at an Airnb and watched Netflix with family.  I don't watch TV, and do not keep track of the latest movies, so I got a whole years worth in one week.  'Wheelman' was interesting, totally filmed within a car, no sets at all.  'Idiotacracy' was funny, kids said that Crocs were props made for the movie, and look what happened.

I recently saw The newer version of (The Last House on the Left).Great,suspensfull,& violent movie.Pretty sick ending..I Also recently saw Trainspotting 1,&2.I thought the second one was better than the first.Its literally 20 years later.I thought both TS 1,& TS 2 were hilarious films,with a great sound track..Check it out…Sorry,i have to ask,but is this post for “new” movies,or any movie,new or old.Cause I have not been to the movies in like over 5 years.Wow.Theres no theaters really near me.🤔.And no clue what the last movie I saw was.

Edited by NYLIBUD

9 hours ago, thatz4u said:

not realistic

But it's actually loosely based on actual event's .100 Boxes  containing a total of 728 gold bars went missing and never recovered, The gold was found by the U.S.Army, But some how those 100 boxes never made the trip with the rest  to Frankfurt Germany!

• Like 1