Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

1 hour ago, MrMiles said:

i watched fast x. what a piece of garbage. how did this series get so far from its roots

I liked those movies and the idea that they do keep changing them and keeping them fresh. 10 movies about street racing would get pretty old pretty fast for me.

I heard a lot of people complaining that they're not "realistic" but it's just an action movie, not a documentary. 

Edited by Can-Con

The new Ferrari. 👎👎  I will removed certain words copy/pasted from elsewhere. 👺

Seriously, almost all drama, not much racing. Except for the lead-up and tragic wreck where the driver in love with the hot photographer gets cut in half, so it's a remake of 'Red Asphalt'. I'm sure half the CGI budget went into just the wreck scene.
Covers: I wasted most of my money on wine and women. The rest I just wasted (racing cars).
Lesson: Don't loan money to family, his ex-wife is a witch, which leads to....
Woke level: About a 5 out of 10. It's not the cheating and having out-of-wedlock surviving children vs. dead one it's all dad's fault men bad.  I missed something.
Best scene: Will admit, when they were at Catholic Mass and stop watches were involved, that was good.
At least: they used real Ferraris, exception with be the one logging airtime when the star in love with the hot photographer chick was viciously killed in the awesome wreck scene. 😅
Not sure I'm giving away any plot and letting the cat out of the bag that the old white haired driver won the big race, when the 💥 happened.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

The new Ferrari. 👎👎  I will removed certain words copy/pasted from elsewhere. 👺

Seriously, almost all drama, not much racing. Except for the lead-up and tragic wreck where the driver in love with the hot photographer gets cut in half, so it's a remake of 'Red Asphalt'. I'm sure half the CGI budget went into just the wreck scene.
Covers: I wasted most of my money on wine and women. The rest I just wasted (racing cars).
Lesson: Don't loan money to family, his ex-wife is a witch, which leads to....
Woke level: About a 5 out of 10. It's not the cheating and having out-of-wedlock surviving children vs. dead one it's all dad's fault men bad.  I missed something.
Best scene: Will admit, when they were at Catholic Mass and stop watches were involved, that was good.
At least: they used real Ferraris, exception with be the one logging airtime when the star in love with the hot photographer chick was viciously killed in the awesome wreck scene. 😅
Not sure I'm giving away any plot and letting the cat out of the bag that the old white haired driver won the big race, when the 💥 happened.

I'd never heard of this movie before. Now I really, REALLY want to see it! :blink: Fabulous review, just what I wanted when I started this thread so long ago! Well done and review on! B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Race for Glory - Audi vs Lancia 2024

Very well made but sligthly dramaticised in places but manages to include most a of the rule bending Lancia did to win the world rally constructors championship when audi were dominant. Theres some new action shots of classic rally cars and some moments that make you think of Smokey Yunnick in the way lancia thought. This was the year before group b took over and a proper underdog story. Its got enough factual content for those of us that know the story and enough ficyion to make the story flow without being a reimagination of the events. There were a few places that made me think I'm glad the producers didn't borrow my car to film this, but i'm sure its just sped up, lol. Very enjoyable movie that i didn't even know was coming out

Edited by stitchdup

This one is worth a watch, Sisu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu_(film)

It is based in Finland, set in late in WWII. The Nazis are leaving Finland, burning everything in their retreat. They run up against a gold prospector who is quite the warrior in his own right. A tad on the bloody side, but very well done. Mainly Finnish actors, nobody that I recognized.

It's been covered, but I went and saw Ferrari on the weekend.

Thought it was really good. Covers 1956-1957, and basically covers the lead up to the ill-fated Mille Miglia race/crash.

The movie focused more on Enzo's story than the cars. 

The car scenes were excellent. Except for the big crash, very little CGI. Lots of real cars doing real car things.

Adam Driver did a decent job playing Enzo. Odd choice, but he was good.

Penelope Cruz did great, and I could see her nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars next year.

I think it's worth watching.

Now I need to go and read Brock Yates' book, which is what the movie was based on.

Also need to go and watch Lamborghini: The Man Behind The Legend now.

Watched a couple of "foreign" movies recently, both on NEtflix.

Vikingulven - aka Viking Wolf

This is a Norwegian movie about a werewolf. It's overdubbed in English, and takes about 5 seconds to get used to. Very well done movie. Effects are good, the story is interesting, suitably gory for a werewolf movie without being too over the top. 

Highly recommend this one.

Blood Red Sky

This is a German movie, also overdubbed in English.  Excellent horror movie about a transatlantic flight that doesn't go well. Acting was good, story is great, effects were great. I'd watch this one again.

Also watched Killers Of The Flower Moon. Here's your big winner at next year's Oscars. I think the main actress won at the Golden Globes last night, and deservedly so. Tells the story of the Osage Nation murders. Just an excellent movie in every way. Although I preferred the book.

Watched "The Creator" on Star last week. 

Kinda slow for a si-fi movie. I was expecting a fast paced action movie but that's not what it is.

It had more of an Apocalypse now vibe but with AI and robots. 

Pretty good really. The acting and affects were good and it was an interesting story if you don't mind a slower pace.

I'd recommend it if your looking for a more cerebral si-fi movie.

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Watched "The Creator" on Star last week. 

Kinda slow for a si-fi movie. I was expecting a fast paced action movie but that's not what it is.

It had more of an Apocalypse now vibe but with AI and robots. 

Pretty good really. The acting and affects were good and it was an interesting story if you don't mind a slower pace.

I'd recommend it if your looking for a more cerebral si-fi movie.

I thought it was an excellent movie! Saw that in the theatre when it came out. Need to re-watch it for usre.

On 1/8/2024 at 7:16 AM, iamsuperdan said:

It's been covered, but I went and saw Ferrari on the weekend.

Also saw it yesterday, finally an historically accurate racing movie for grown-ups. Loved ever bit of it. Good script, casting, acting, art direction, non-CGI action scenes, incredible 12 cylinder  Ferrari sounds, touching human story (my wife probably would have enjoyed it). Loved Adam Driver’s understated conflicted portrayal of Enzo and Penelope Cruz’s portrayal of Enzo’s wife Laura stole the show.
Never been a Patrick Dempsey fan but his performance was fantastic as an aging Taruffi, also the dudes playing Peter Collins and de Portago were convincing. The tragic Mille Miglia crash scene was graphic and made it understandable why the Italian gov’t discontinued any future road racing on public roads. One of my favorite scenes was when Enzo discusses intake manifold design features with his young son while reviewing blueprints at the kitchen table as well as the touching final scene. 
Brock Yates, author of the book they based it on, would be pleased with the result. A “no Hollywood BS” racing movie, go see it!

Edited by papajohn97
Corrections

So often movies 'based' on novels fall short of the mark by deviating too much from the book. 

Jurassic Park was a good example of this having read the book 2 years before the movie came out. I can think of many more.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On 1/8/2024 at 10:22 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Also watched Killers Of The Flower Moon. Here's your big winner at next year's Oscars. I think the main actress won at the Golden Globes last night, and deservedly so. Tells the story of the Osage Nation murders. Just an excellent movie in every way. Although I preferred the book.

I’ve been wanting to see this movie. Yes, it won best actress - in fact, she is the first indigenous actress ever to win as Best actress.

Will it win best picture? I predict No. Oppenheimer will. However, Killers of the Flower Moon will be a great contender. 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:52 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

So often movies 'based' on novels fall short of the mark by deviating too much from the book. 

Jurassic Park was a good example of this having read the book 2 years before the movie came out. I can think of me y more.

The book is so much better than the movie! Would love to see a "by the book" remake.

On 1/14/2024 at 9:40 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

I’ve been wanting to see this movie. Yes, it won best actress - in fact, she is the first indigenous actress ever to win as Best actress.

Will it win best picture? I predict No. Oppenheimer will. However, Killers of the Flower Moon will be a great contender. 

Tough one. 

Oppenheimer, KOTFM, and Barbie all stand a very good chance at winning.

I've seen all three.

I think KOTFM probably should win, but Oppenheimer will win.

And Cillian Murphy will get best actor, Lily Gladstone will get best actress.

27 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Tough one. 

Oppenheimer, KOTFM, and Barbie all stand a very good chance at winning.

I've seen all three.

I think KOTFM probably should win, but Oppenheimer will win.

And Cillian Murphy will get best actor, Lily Gladstone will get best actress.

Barbie movie won the most ridiculous awards at the Golden Globes…. Box office attendance ROFL! 

War of the Worlds is a good example of every series and movies 'based' on H G Wells novel have ALL screwed it up completely. The BBC series was a bit more in period but even they messed it up big time!

To make one actually true to the story, now that would be a challenge for Peter Jackson!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Yes, I remember reading War of the Worlds when I was a kid and had envisioned it so well in my mind. Then I saw the movie and was hugely disappointed. Started to learn at an early age what Hollywood could do or not do with an original story. There have been some good movies adapted from books though.