Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

On 11/14/2020 at 8:48 PM, cobraman said:

Baby Driver is a pretty good movie. Saw it at the theater and again on direct. About a young getaway driver and there is plenty of action. Worth a look if you have not seen it.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, stinkybritches said:

Music also plays a very big part in this movie. 

On 11/19/2020 at 2:20 AM, slusher said:

I really enjoyed Baby driver!

Well, I watched it, and I don't think I liked it as much as you guys. I thought the music was distracting to the point of annoyance. 

I've seen worse movies, but wouldn't watch this one again. I think its problem is, it never decides what kind of movie it wants to me. Is it a chase movie? An action movie? A heist movie? A music movie? A young romance movie? It's all these things and yet not really any of them. I have to wonder how Kevin Spacey, Jamie Fox and John Ham ended up in it. Did they owe somebody a big favor? :unsure:

Just my opinion, of course. Hey, not everybody likes everything! B)

Baby Driver was a surprise to me. I thought it was going to be just a chase movie, but it really had a lot more. Very good! 

One to skip - Gemini Man with Will Smith. Bad: Script (predictable), directing (how many close ups of people talking to the side do we need?), acting (Like they were all on a Zoom call not wearing pants.), and CG (A little less than Call of Duty story line sequences.) Watch I am Legend instead.

Scott

68 Kill, anybody see this movie?Definitely a violent and strange movie at times.Actually there were some black humor.I I looked it.

Anybody see TrainSpotting 2?Its twenty years later,literally.I thought it was extremely funny,and was better than the first,Trainspotting,another great movie.IMO.

Six String Samurai ,,  anyone else seen this movie?

Post apocalypse/kung fu B-movie made in the late '90s. After the 3rd World War in '57 most of the US is a nuclear wasteland rules by King Elvis. 40 years later The King is dying and a new ruler has to be found. 

The Hero Buddy [Holly?] travels across the desert bound for Lost Vegas to compete with other musicians for the title of "King".  

with his guitar on his back [and his Katana duct taped to it's back] and a kid in tow, he confronts various characters trying to stop him along the way including "Death" who looks like Slash of GnR.

Most fun movie I've seen in ages with a great guitar soundtrack featuring The Red Elvises. 

Highly recommended.

Edited by Can-Con

16 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

68 Kill, anybody see this movie?Definitely a violent and strange movie at times.Actually there were some black humor.I I looked it.

Anybody see TrainSpotting 2?Its twenty years later,literally.I thought it was extremely funny,and was better than the first,Trainspotting,another great movie.IMO.

I've seen 68 Kill. Yes, definitely strange and violent. I found it to be entertaining once it got going.

1917. Many of you may have already seen it but finally watched it on Showtime or HBO or one of those cable movie channels. Thought it was great.

War movie that really captured my interest watching it as I got caught up in the story of 2 guys that have to get a message to another "company" so have to get from point A to point B to deliver it. I won't give anything away but reminded me of a video game where you have to deal with all these different scenarios along the way. Found myself in the characters shoes as they did this and had my heart thumping faster at times. Just a good story in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, TonyK said:

1917. Many of you may have already seen it but finally watched it on Showtime or HBO or one of those cable movie channels. Thought it was great.

"1917" was great.  The whole movie was shot in one continuous take, which I don't think had ever been done before.  Except maybe by Ed Wood, accidentally. ?

John Le Carre just passed away, so I'll probably watch "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" again soon.  Great book, great movie.  

For those who like real-life spy stories, I'll make another pitch for "The Assets," which reminds me of Le Carre.  It was an 8-hour ABC miniseries that ran in 2014.  It bombed in the ratings when first shown, but gets high scores now.

"The Assets" is about the hunt for real-life traitor Aldrich Ames, a CIA "legacy" thru his Dad.  He got a lot of people killed, mostly Russian "assets,"  including their top expert on stealth aircraft.  It's not a James Bond kind of story.  More like LeCarre, about the hard work of digging thru financial records etc.  to ferret out the turncoat.  The CIA team who finally nailed Ames was made up mostly of female CIA agents, which also made it more interesting.  

• 2 weeks later...

I might be the last person on earth to do so, but last week I finally saw the original The Fast and the Furious.

It was probably the third worst movie I've ever seen. There wasn't one believable thing in it. Not one believable character, car, bit of dialogue, plot point, or piece of action. Simply dreadful in every possible way. :angry:

At least Baby Driver had one good car chase in it. :unsure:

16 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I might be the last person on earth to do so, but last week I finally saw the original The Fast and the Furious.

It was probably the third worst movie I've ever seen. There wasn't one believable thing in it. Not one believable character, car, bit of dialogue, plot point, or piece of action. Simply dreadful in every possible way. :angry:

At least Baby Driver had one good car chase in it. :unsure:

So I am guessing you will not watch the other seven movies. ? Tokyo Drift was the absolute worst one If you can imagine. ?

• 3 weeks later...

After years of hearing about it, I finally saw Quigley Down Under on Netflix. Not bad at all. All the way through, I thought it could have easily been a Clint Eastwood movie, slotting in nicely between Outlaw Josie Wales and Pale Rider.  Research says that it was originally written with Steve McQueen in mind, but he passed before it could be done. Eastwood's name didn't come up. 

Yesterday I watched The DaVinci Code (Netflix), which I hadn't seen before. I read the book about 15 years ago, but don't remember too much about it, so can't say if the movie was true to the book, but the movie was quite good anyway--as good as any of the Mission Impossibles, and better than any of the Bournes. 

Now I'm gonna watch Angels and Demons. Also read that one about 15 years ago, and the only thing I remember is it had something to do with writing that could be read right side up or upside down. 

On 1/18/2021 at 2:10 PM, Snake45 said:

Now I'm gonna watch Angels and Demons. Also read that one about 15 years ago, and the only thing I remember is it had something to do with writing that could be read right side up or upside down. 

Just finished it--another ripping good yarn! The ambigrams didn't play as big as part in the movie as I remember them doing in the book, but still a good story well told. 

Now on to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, another one I read several years ago but have never seen. I hope it's as good as the last two. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it! Don't remember much of the book, except that the first 30 or 50 pages of it was the most boring thing I've ever read, but after that it took off and was pretty good. 

Just watched The Little Things, brand new movie in theaters today and also streaming on HBO MAX for the next month or so. Pretty good, very entertaining with a couple twists at the end, which are almost always a good thing. It's set in the early '90s so there are quite a few interesting old cars. One of the "star cars" is a minty '68-'72 Nova, possibly a '69 in Frost Green. Very cool. 

On 1/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, Snake45 said:

Just watched The Little Things, brand new movie in theaters today and also streaming on HBO MAX for the next month or so. Pretty good, very entertaining with a couple twists at the end, which are almost always a good thing. It's set in the early '90s so there are quite a few interesting old cars. One of the "star cars" is a minty '68-'72 Nova, possibly a '69 in Frost Green. Very cool. 

The wife and I watched that today. We enjoyed it very much. 

Seen on TCM recently:  "The Killers" from 1964.  (A re-make of the 1946 movie starring Burt Lancaster.) 

What a great car movie!  (For a while anyway.)  Many scenes were shot during a race at Riverside International.  A Shelby Cobra is definitely the star of this segment and there's plenty of other vintage iron (and fiberglass).  Also scenes at a garage on Ventura Blvd. in the Valley, where we see a Maserati and some other classics.  Look close during the Riverside sequence, and you see a '60 (?) Falcon Ranchero panel truck, white with blue Shelby stripes.

Great cast includes John Cassavetes, Claude Akins, and Angie Dickinson.  With Lee Marvin and Clu Gulager as two of the meanest hit men ever.  Also Ronald Reagan in his last movie role.

TONIGHT on TCM, Feb. 1 2021, there's a trifecta of 3 really bad movies!  Starting at 8 PM EST, "Plan 9 From Outer Space."  Followed by "The Swarm."  Then "The Conqueror," with John Wayne as Genghis Khan and Susan Hayward as the hot-blooded (and red-headed) Tartar princess.

Edited by Mike999

35 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Seen on TCM recently:  "The Killers" from 1964.  (A re-make of the 1946 movie starring Burt Lancaster.) 

What a great car movie!  (For a while anyway.)  Many scenes were shot during a race at Riverside International.  A Shelby Cobra is definitely the star of this segment and there's plenty of other vintage iron (and fiberglass).  Also scenes at a garage on Ventura Blvd. in the Valley, where we see a Maserati and some other classics.  Look close during the Riverside sequence, and you see a '60 (?) Falcon Ranchero panel truck, white with blue Shelby stripes.

Great cast includes John Cassavetes, Claude Akins, and Angie Dickinson.  With Lee Marvin and Clu Gulager as two of the meanest hit men ever.  Also Ronald Reagan in his last movie role.

That musht have been what The Lovely Mrs Snake was watching yesterday. I saw a brief part with a Cobra, Claude Akins, and a woman who was probably Angie Dickinson. Didn't recognize the Cobra driver but I guess that could have been John Cassavetes. Thanks for the heads-up! B)

On 1/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, Snake45 said:

One of the "star cars" is a minty '68-'72 Nova, possibly a '69 in Frost Green. Very cool. 

Yeah! I watched it too. Didn't that Nova sound souped up? Jarred Letto's performance was so creepy. Nailed the character... if he wasn't a murderer, he's the most misunderstood person on the earth! 

My movie review would be on Palmer 2021... it stars Justin Timberlake as Eddie who develops an unlikely relationship with his neighbor while struggling with his past. It really has a "Slingblade" feel to it. It's a good story and well done, although the film's message is revalant to current social topics and politically correct to a fault. It's thought provoking and worthy of it's performances.

Screenshot_20210129-224933_YouTube.jpg

Anyone else see Honest Thief ? I did not notice it referenced here. Anyway, Liam Neeson stars along with Kate Walsh, Jeffery Donovan and Robert Patrick.  It's about a back robber that has robbed banks for years but meets a woman who he falls in love with and then wants to turn himself in and return the 13 million he has in storage lockers. When he tries to turn himself in the police do not believe him as over the years many guys tried to cop to the crimes. The two FBI agents that finally believe him recover 3 million of the loot and then decide that turning the cash in is not the best idea. I will leave it there. Perhaps not a great movie but my wife and I found it enjoyable. Can't recall what station we watched it on. Could have been a pay movie.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Netflix): An anthology of several Western stories. There are a few light moments but all things considered not a "happy" movie. Only one of the stories has what I'd call a "happy ending." Kinda interesting, but I don't think I'd watch it again. 

Dunkirk (HBOMax): This is also NOT a happy-fun feel-good movie. Desperation is in every frame. I can't recall a single light moment in the whole thing. A good movie, but not a fun one by any means.