Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

5 minutes ago, alexis said:

Could that be a Re-worked TD Paddy Wagon with a different Engine? Really hard to tell.

Dave V, that is a totally different Track Nose on the Blue Car, it seems. Neat, though.

I can see it's different now......

The C Cab is not the TD Paddy Wagon or a variant of it.......it LOOKS more like the MPC Fire truck kit

fire13.jpg

For those of you who are not familiar with the original Revell Parts Packs and/or the three "Double Kit" dragster model kits that were based upon them, the detailing and in-scale accuracy of some of these suspension parts remained unmatched for essentially the next 40 years or so of model car kit tools.  I think it is extremely exciting to think that we will be able to source these parts, once again, and at a (comparably inflation adjusted) reasonable price, for our drag racing and hot rodding kitbashing projects.  

Way to go Peter (Vetri), Jim (K), Alan (C), and anyone else associated with this effort to bring these kits and their components back to the hobby kit market...TIM 

PS - Mr. Vetri has some even further ideas under consideration; if these kits sell well we might see even more ambitious projects from him and his team in the future.   Or....once again we have the fate of our own hobby in our own hands (and wallets)....TB 

• Like 2

The C-cab looks like it is based on the Tweedy Pie.  The altered velocity stacks are back...maybe the Tweedy Pie restoration parts were tooled overseas and not part of the deal?

One of the dragsters pictured has suspension parts from the dragster chassis accessory pack.  The double kits used only the roadster chassis accessories, dividing the parts between the two cars in each double kit.  Hopefully, with these being issued as single kits now, the dragster accessories will find their way into some of the kits.

• Like 1

I thought of that as well being a modified Paddy Wagon body. I'm betting if anything its a modified Paddy Wagon. Rotate it level. Remove the windscreen and fill in the side window. Then the name on the sample. "Smokey's Barbecue" with the pig image. Remember the 60's slang terms for the police? 

61hUWtdovuL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

1 hour ago, jchrisf said:

Sigh - * pulls out credit card *

😁

I think they've listed them incorrectly though - they're 1:32nd scale...

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark said:

The C-cab looks like it is based on the Tweedy Pie.  The altered velocity stacks are back...maybe the Tweedy Pie restoration parts were tooled overseas and not part of the deal?

One of the dragsters pictured has suspension parts from the dragster chassis accessory pack.  The double kits used only the roadster chassis accessories, dividing the parts between the two cars in each double kit.  Hopefully, with these being issued as single kits now, the dragster accessories will find their way into some of the kits.

The modified stacks never left. Revell tooled up a chrome new tree with the chrome wheels, 5 spoked mags, and other missing Tweedy Pie stuff on it. Let's hope Atlantis got that insert (or tool) as well, because those new stacks are even nicer than the originals.

20210819_182527.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

25 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

The modified stacks never left. Revell tooled up a chrome new tree with the chrome wheels, 5 spoked mags, and other missing Tweedy Pie stuff on it. Let's hope Atlantis got that insert (or tool) as well, because those new stacks are even nicer than the originals.

20210819_182527.jpg

The markings on that bag tell the tale...

9 hours ago, Dave Van said:

TD Paddy Wagon is still at Revell. It was last run in China and was not in the lot in ILL. Now with Revell and TD split on unfriendly terms....maybe Atlantis will end up with it at some point. 

I wish Atlantis could acquire the Tom Daniels molds so we could see them again..

18 minutes ago, Muncie said:

but... if they have been tooled once, new Revell should have the data sets to make new tooling.  These parts are far superior to the same parts in the old Tweedy Pie tooling.  That section of the original tooling is worn out.

New Revell has the tooling (or really the "rights" to the tooling - any tooling in China "belongs" to China, and will never leave as long as the PRC exists in its current state).

No incentive for new Revell to give those CAD files to Atlantis, they're a competitor.

Tooling CUT in China is part owned by the China Govmt. Tooling cut outside but run in China is still owned 100% by the company.....and in theory can be moved out of China.  BUT if you request to move it and Chinia does not want to.....it MAY arrive at it's new destination 'damaged'.  This happened  to a model railroad manufacture.  In other words it's a mess. Revell can not run any TD stuff that is in China and selling it will be costly and filled with risk. I'd figure we will never see Rommel's, Circus Wagon, Paddy, and TJ Taxi again. IMHO only!! 

Edited by Dave Van

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I wish Atlantis could acquire the Tom Daniels molds so we could see them again..

They did acquire some (many?), and have plenty more to reissue. The Unreal Roller was thought to be long gone or scrapped in the 1980 Monogram purge, but, surprise, it still exists and Atlantis just reissued it. Leap Hog and Roar N Peace, too, two kits not seen for 40 years. I'm sure there are others, too.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Concerning the C cab.....could it be a new tool or a tool that Revell had cut and never issued? It is not derived from the Pie Wagon, that body has a definitive inner curve to it from bottom to top, I'm told its not the Paddy Wagon because that tool is supposedly in China (and I'm not questioning people who I view as either experts or near experts). The MPC Fire Truck is too narrow (about a person and a half wide and has several body details that are different. Those differences would not be worth modifying from the tool. 

It really is a small tool to cut. Could that be what this is? Or did Revell actually cut the tool in the early 70's to get some more mileage out of the Tweedy Pie and instead of offering the C Cab offer us the Rod Father and Canned Heat. 

Maybe someone with contacts with Atlantis can get an answer.