Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

Atlantis will probably prioritize tooling new tires based on how many kits can utilize those tires.  If they have two or three motocross bikes in the same scale, that use the same tires, that would probably take priority over a tire that can only be used in one kit.

As for photos of wrong scale kits, Revell did that a number of times.  Several of their 1/25 scale drag car kits used photos of assembled 1/16 scale kits with the wiring and fuel lines left off.  The funny cars' Cragar Super Trick wheels (fronts in particular) are the giveaway.

• 2 weeks later...

"H1440 Jungle Jim Camaro -- Tooling was updated. Restored Hemi Engine and back wheels were resized. New rubber slicks and front tires. Kit also also includes optional ford engine. Updated decals and new box art."

I'm trying to find something nice to say about this kit, but, words fail me. 🤐😬

241811818_4387402101339956_7335007518453517343_n.jpg.d3825c3d1740908d6b7393594f3e65d9.jpg241811818_4387402101339956_7335007518453517343_n.jpg.d3825c3d1740908d6b7393594f3e65d9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Some kits have nostalgia value for people who built them first time around...the early Revell funny cars definitely fall into that category.  Not for everyone, but enough people will buy them to make the effort worthwhile for Atlantis.

They make money on them, some of that money goes into something you or I will want.  Works for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

A Ford engine in a Camaro??🙄    Say it ain't so!!!!

Says a Hemi also... no idea if Hemi or Ford drag engines in Camaro funny cars was a thing in real life...it's not a real Camaro anyway, just a cartoon body.

Edited by Rob Hall

4 hours ago, Casey said:

"H1440 Jungle Jim Camaro -- Tooling was updated. Restored Hemi Engine and back wheels were resized. New rubber slicks and front tires. Kit also also includes optional ford engine. Updated decals and new box art."

I'm trying to find something nice to say about this kit, but, words fail me. 🤐😬

Well, it definitely looks like a 'funny car'...now if that is funny ha ha or funny weird is in the eye of the beholder, I think...

The Ford OHC engine goes with the chassis.  The chassis originated with Revell's Maverick funny car, also the Boss Mustang (the one with the body from the '70 coupe annual kit).  That engine looks to be equal in (lack of) detail with the OHC engine in the Revell gasser kits.  Revell was cheaping out in that period, copying parts from earlier kits for use in new ones.

Funny cars were built with different make engines and bodies almost from day one.  JJ had switched to the Hemi around 1970, his number two '69 Nova (driven by Clare Sanders) ran a 426 Hemi while JJ was running a Chevy in his.  He linked up with Sanders to get up to speed in regards to building and tuning the Hemi.

1971 was a shakeout/transition year of sorts with funny cars.  Prior to that, funnies with different engine/body were sometimes called Wacky Racers (after the cartoon series).  '71 brought in all-out use of the narrow dragster style chassis (first used by Mickey Thompson under his '69 Mustangs), and wider use of Hemis, mainly the 426.  The Ramchargers started selling "over the counter" ready to run nitro 426s in '69, others like Keith Black and Ed Pink stepped up to compete.  By the end of the '71 season, guys with the old style chassis and non-426 engines were pretty much relegated to also-ran status.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Well, it definitely looks like a 'funny car'...now if that is funny ha ha or funny weird is in the eye of the beholder, I think...

Yes, it looks funny, but not really close in proportion nor shape to any then-current Camaro Funny Car.

As Mark mentioned, this was a universal style chassis, which also appeared under similarly ill-proportioned Ford Maverick and a '69 Mustang Grande'(!!) bodies, too, so not terribly accurate from the get go.

Here are the instruction sheets for both the Maverick and Mustang F/Cs to get an idea of what you'll be getting:

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1309/revell-1216-maverick-funny-car

https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/261/revell-1209-mustang-funny-car

25 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Atlantis is just running what REVELL tooled. I'll get one out of nostalgia and support Atlantis. 

Well, they don't HAVE to run everything, but IMHO, this particular kit was a less than ideal choice, but I'm assuming it was chosen due to the Jungle Jim licensing they currently have, and the mold didn't need a ton of work to be viable. The body on these three F/C kits are halfway to being in the Deal's Wheels caricature series in all honesty, and there are major inaccuracies all around. Well, hopefully anyone considering this kit will do a quick bit of research to spare themselves some future disappointment-- I feel it's that poor of a kit.

• Like 2

I picked up a built one of those Revell Camaro funny cars awhile back, with the intention of piecing the front fascia (and maybe the hood area) into an MPC body.  As I recall, the pieces do fit together way better than anyone would expect, but the Revell front fascia slants inward a bit towards the bottom.  I'll probably attack that one again over the coming winter.

1 hour ago, jchrisf said:

This one should be on the website in a few weeks according to an email I just received

ut

As noted in my recent book on drag racing model kits, this kit tool is actually a well conceived and executed mid-engine funny car proposal from Mr. Daniel.  If you like late 1960's/early 1970's funny car replicas, this one is well worth your money in my opinion....TIM 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jchrisf said:

This one should be on the website in a few weeks according to an email I just received

unnamed.jpg.b76b59e2393606fc903fa30a1bda4fc4.jpg

Nice to see NEW Decals for this kit ,I'll have to get two of them ! I hope they put a new set of rear slicks in this one ,Like the original had . 

Edited by Mr mopar
  • Like 1