Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Tooling CUT in China is part owned by the China Govmt. Tooling cut outside but run in China is still owned 100% by the company.....and in theory can be moved out of China.  BUT if you request to move it and Chinia does not want to.....it MAY arrive at it's new destination 'damaged'.  This happened  to a model railroad manufacture.  In other words it's a mess. Revell can not run any TD stuff that is in China and selling it will be costly and filled with risk. I'd figure we will never see Rommel's, Circus Wagon, Paddy, and TJ Taxi again. IMHO only!! 

In addition, supposedly any existing tooling that is shipped to China and then modified in any way falls under the same categorization as if it was newly cut (if the narratives I've heard are true).

Not that it really matters.  They can change the "rules" however they want, whenever they want, and there's nothing the outside US or European companies can really do about it.

Shipping any vintage tooling to China is the deal with the devil: now that it's there, chances are it's never coming back.  So get those kits while you can.

• Like 1

Ooooooor Tom Daniel could stop being a pouty child about things and agree to new licensing with Revell. I've made my opinion that he's being ridiculous about things pretty clear, but I do appreciate he was not fully paid. But considering how many actual employees of Hobbico weren't paid their salaries in the end, and many more lost thousands of dollars up to their "life savings" when the ESOP collapsed...well pretty sure Tom could write that off as a business loss, and then suck it up and sign a new agreement...but those employees lost their jobs and all their money forever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Ooooooor Tom Daniel could stop being a pouty child about things and agree to new licensing with Revell. I've made my opinion that he's being ridiculous about things pretty clear, but I do appreciate he was not fully paid. But considering how many actual employees of Hobbico weren't paid their salaries in the end, and many more lost thousands of dollars up to their "life savings" when the ESOP collapsed...well pretty sure Tom could write that off as a business loss, and then suck it up and sign a new agreement...but those employees lost their jobs and all their money forever.

Not knowing what happened between TD and Revell I'll not agree 100%.

That said time tends to heal many wounds and Tom's son is handling much of the day to day stuff......some day licensing may come around again. I've had IP stolen and it does make you mad. 

PS: If you really want to know how China works.....book - The 100 year marathon.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Not knowing what happened between TD and Revell I'll not agree 100%.

That said time tends to heal many wounds and Tom's son is handling much of the day to day stuff......some day licensing may come around again. I've had IP stolen and it does make you mad. 

PS: If you really want to know how China works.....book - The 100 year marathon.  

Well China's workings really aren't the problem with Hobbico over extending itself in the R/C market, then proceeding to get itself sued by Traxxas. I am empathetic to Tom not getting paid what he was owed, bankruptcy discharges debts so the new Revell wasn't responsible to pay him. It's a shaft for sure, but he can always make that money back...again compared to the loss suffered by the actual employees. 

• Like 3

Just now, niteowl7710 said:

Well China's workings really aren't the problem with Hobbico over extending itself in the R/C market, then proceeding to get itself sued by Traxxas. I am empathetic to Tom not getting paid what he was owed, bankruptcy discharges debts so the new Revell wasn't responsible to pay him. It's a shaft for sure, but he can always make that money back...again compared to the loss suffered by the actual employees. 

And at least Tom is happily working with the model kit company this thread is nominally discussing which has resulted in some fairly solidly selling kits that will only motivate Atlantis to locate other long lost show rods in the vaults. 

25 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I wasn't saying the China issue had anything to do with Hobbico issues. You're right.

I was just trying to shine a light on why it would be hard for Atlantis to buy and get the Tom Daniels tooling that is in China and Revell is not really able to use.....right now. 

BTW I have worked with people in China on hobby products and the PEOPLE are great and many very talented. It's the government that is the issue. Thanks

• Like 1

The C-cab may be one of the bodies off the odd Revell corvair powered kits back then, der Guber Wagen, Moon Mixer?

The Paddy wagon from Mono is 1/24, and it’s HUGE compared to that chassis. It’s not the unrelated MPC fire truck, nor is it the MOc Caspars Paddy wagon. 
Small. Repurposed Hiway Pioneers van?

Mark, Dave V, Dave D, someone knows?

The C-cab, and some of the others, are probably kitbashed as "let's throw this out there and see if there's enough interest" things.  If they're going to take a swing at doing "partially new" kits, they'd be wiser to use the parts packs.  But that's just one more opinion, which doesn't count any more than any other.

35 minutes ago, keyser said:

The C-cab may be one of the bodies off the odd Revell corvair powered kits back then, der Guber Wagen, Moon Mixer?

The Paddy wagon from Mono is 1/24, and it’s HUGE compared to that chassis. It’s not the unrelated MPC fire truck, nor is it the MOc Caspars Paddy wagon. 
Small. Repurposed Hiway Pioneers van?

Mark, Dave V, Dave D, someone knows?

It could be a highly modified Patent Pending cab.....but I really doubt it. The mods would be as much as new tooling. Atlantis said there is NEW tooling coming. I think these guys are SERIOUS about model kits. I thought at first they'd do what they have been doing...running old tools. But I THANK Peter and Co for stepping up. It ain't easy, you'll not get rich....but boy is it fun! 

medicine.jpg

MEDMAN.JPG

On 8/19/2021 at 10:08 PM, Dave Van said:

Tooling CUT in China is part owned by the China Govmt. Tooling cut outside but run in China is still owned 100% by the company.....and in theory can be moved out of China.  BUT if you request to move it and Chinia does not want to.....it MAY arrive at it's new destination 'damaged'.  This happened  to a model railroad manufacture.  In other words it's a mess. Revell can not run any TD stuff that is in China and selling it will be costly and filled with risk. I'd figure we will never see Rommel's, Circus Wagon, Paddy, and TJ Taxi again. IMHO only!! 

In reality China 🇨🇳 owns the heart of the company.  I wish I would have bought a  Tijuana Taxi long ago but you can’t buy everything you like..

On 8/19/2021 at 11:04 PM, Casey said:

They did acquire some (many?), and have plenty more to reissue. The Unreal Roller was thought to be long gone or scrapped in the 1980 Monogram purge, but, surprise, it still exists and Atlantis just reissued it. Leap Hog and Roar N Peace, too, two kits not seen for 40 years. I'm sure there are others, too.

Thanks Casey..

21 hours ago, iBorg said:

I'd love to see Atlantis reissue all of this Corvair powered series.

While working for Revell I asked about these kits. 'No tire mold' was the answer AND they were not sure which versions they did or did not still have. But they were in ILL at one time. So let Pete know......maybe he will look into it. 

meter.jpg

moon.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Does anyone know if Atlantis acquired the tooling for the Revell 1/12 scale motocross kits?  The kits were the Husquevarna, Yamaha, Suzuki dirtbikes.

Revell yamaha - Copy.jpg

Not sure about the Husky and Suzuki, but presumably no, since Revell reissued the Yamaha within the last twelve months:

yamaha-250-dt-1-1-12-plastic-model-kit-07941-revell-w1200-h1200-f2f4f89c41147d9928131561fd4d63eb.jpg.ac0d92932ab3aab09e7ec53decb3400b.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Does anyone know if Atlantis acquired the tooling for the Revell 1/12 scale motocross kits?  The kits were the Husquevarna, Yamaha, Suzuki dirtbikes.

Husquvarna.jpg

Revell yamaha - Copy.jpg

Suzuki - Copy.jpg

Same question with the 1/12 and 1/8 Revell vintage chopper kits - Rough Rider, Chain Gang, LA Street Chopper, etc.

Since the topic of motorbike kits came up, but no one so far has asked about the four Revell 1/25th scale motorcycle parts packs, I was recently told by the principle at Atlantis that they do not have these particular tool(S) in their possession.  DRAT!   (I use the singular word for the tool as there have been rumors that all four motorcycle kits were contained in one single tool, and that part of the problem in marketing these kits back in 1963-64 was that everyone wanted the Harley Chopper, and to a lesser extent, the Triumph showbike, while there was comparatively less demand for the BSA, and way less for the Honda.  Meaning retailers were stuck with lots of the latter subjects and little available Harleys to sell.  A problem that I suspect would repeat itself today, though probably to a much lesser degree.   

Oh well, everything else they DO have and plan to reissue more than makes up for any disappointment over this....

Which brings to mind the topic of the 1/25th scale Harley Dyna Super Glide Sport tool that went along with the Revell F150 Harley kit of 2001.  As I recall, most or all of the bike parts were on a separate parts tree, leading one to suspect a separate tool.  While licensing costs could potentially be prohibitive, it would be super-cool to see that bike resurface as a separate stand-alone model kit at some point in the future....

DSC 0711 R-M Harley Dyna Glide Concord Purple Factory Stock

TIM   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Since the topic of motorbike kits came up, but no one so far has asked about the four Revell 1/25th scale motorcycle parts packs, I was recently told by the principle at Atlantis that they do not have these particular tool(S) in their possession.  DRAT!   (I use the singular word for the tool as there have been rumors that all four motorcycle kits were contained in one single tool, and that part of the problem in marketing these kits back in 1963-64 was that everyone wanted the Harley Chopper, and to a lesser extent, the Triumph showbike, while there was comparatively less demand for the BSA, and way less for the Honda.  Meaning retailers were stuck with lots of the latter subjects and little available Harleys to sell.  A problem that I suspect would repeat itself today, though probably to a much lesser degree.   

Oh well, everything else they DO have and plan to reissue more than makes up for any disappointment over this....

Which brings to mind the topic of the 1/25th scale Harley Dyna Super Glide Sport tool that went along with the Revell F150 Harley kit of 2001.  As I recall, most or all of the bike parts were on a separate parts tree, leading one to suspect a separate tool.  While licensing costs could potentially be prohibitive, it would be super-cool to see that bike resurface as a separate stand-alone model kit at some point in the future....

DSC 0711 R-M Harley Dyna Glide Concord Purple Factory Stock

TIM   

Can't Revell bring all 4 in one box? Or would licensing up the msrp too much?

About the HD-Ford F series set, I have to say that besides the bike, I like the way the R-M engineers designed the front clip with seperate grille insert, something I wish they would've done with that whole gen of F150's as it enabels the builder to achieve better cleaner builds  IMHO ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens