Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting Comparisons

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I always thought the Opel GT looked like a mini-Corvette. 

Back in the '70s, a friend had a green Celica like that one while I was driving a '69 Camaro. I always though his car looked like a mini-Camaro or mini-Mustang. 

Opel GT and Corvette. Both GM products. And Celica? Like the European Ford Capri, the Japanese answer to the immensely popular American Ford Mustang, and other like pony cars. 

The picture of the Camaro and the Toyota Celica reminds me of the first time I ever noticed the Celica. I had just moved to another part of the state and gotten a new home. My girlfriend and I went for a walk around the new neighborhood around dusk. We walked about a block and turned down another street and there was this fastback style car that I didn't recognize. We stopped for a moment to look it over. I wasn't interested in imports at all but in the lighting it reminded me more of a Mustang than anything else.  

10 minutes ago, espo said:

The picture of the Camaro and the Toyota Celica reminds me of the first time I ever noticed the Celica. I had just moved to another part of the state and gotten a new home. My girlfriend and I went for a walk around the new neighborhood around dusk. We walked about a block and turned down another street and there was this fastback style car that I didn't recognize. We stopped for a moment to look it over. I wasn't interested in imports at all but in the lighting it reminded me more of a Mustang than anything else.  

Our family car was a '77 Celica GT liftback (exactly like the one below) which was a blatant knock off of the '69-'70 Mustang Sportsroof design, flared rear lip and all.

1976-1977-toyota-celica-GT-liftback-rear-three-quarters.jpg.448f301291dcb841d95086de89967dea.jpg

boss302_1969_102_ashx.jpg.04d385b07408aa6936052bf59cd2e4b7.jpg

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Our family car was a '77 Celica GT liftback (exactly like the one below) which was a blatant knock off of the '69-'70 Mustang Sportsroof design, flared rear lip and all.

1976-1977-toyota-celica-GT-liftback-rear-three-quarters.jpg.448f301291dcb841d95086de89967dea.jpg

boss302_1969_102_ashx.jpg.04d385b07408aa6936052bf59cd2e4b7.jpg

That is kind of what it looked like to me also. This was in late 1973 so it would be the earlier body styles which looked even more alike. I do recall that the Toyota was nicely trimed with moldings and the first rear window slats I remember seeing.     

The Opel GT was openly referred to as a "Baby 'Vette" back in its day. Kind of a poor man's entry-level 'Vette.

The Falcon and the Mustang?  They don't look anything alike at all . . . until you skin them!

There always has and always will be a lot of cross-pollination in automotive styling. Some more notorious than others, but always. Even occasional outright Xerox theft.

??

I always hear the Opel GT called "poor man's Corvette".  As for the general resemblance of those cars, there is nothing surprising - similar type of cars will often look very similar.  Maybe because the designers of car makes are like-minded (and often migrate from one company to another), plus there is always spying going on, where each manufacturer tries to spy what their competition us up to.

Cars are just 4-wheels with a body.  You can find resemblances between makes throughout the automotive history.  You can see similarities in many car makes made in 1910s, '20s, '30, and so on.

Also, human brain tries to find commonalities, and it is pretty good at discovering them, then taking photos to prove it.  :D

Edited by peteski

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Here are two photos I found on the web a few years back that I found interesting. I'd like to see what you guys think. And have you seen any others like them? 

IMG_2118.JPG

The early Celica has always reminded me of the first gen Camaro. Mostly the roof line and rear quarters.

Edited by NOBLNG

15 hours ago, Danno said:

The Opel GT was openly referred to as a "Baby 'Vette" back in its day. Kind of a poor man's entry-level 'Vette.

That was what everyone I knew called them when I was young was a "poor man's corvette"

Edited by SCRWDRVR

12 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

4843305151_f89f748d6e.jpg.08a3417755d3e8565b13e07c121b79b0.jpg

I was surprised to see the above photo. I never noticed before how much these two from the front ends look similar. I suspect that the Porsche had that look first? If so, it's another good job of Japanese copying. Having these two come up behind you on the highway, you'd have to look twice to tell which one it is. 

The above is the reason I'm not a big fan modern cars. They are greatest cars ever, in terms functionality. They run better. Last longer. Are much more economical and reliable. But they all, to my eyes anyway, look too much a like. 

This last summer I bought a fairly new 2017 Chevy Cruze, with only 14,000 miles on it. Metallic Black. It's a very nice car. I love the way it does what does. It even looks pretty good to me. I like the car a lot. But... I see there is a Chevy in that group of cars above. I can't tell what kind of Chevy that is. Is it a Cruze or a Malibu? And I drive a Cruze! I should be able to tell. Sad.