Model Cars Magazine Forum

Usps is horrible these days

youpey

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but more people are buying online and creating more work/shipments for all parcel delivery services (FedEx, UPS, USPS) so delays are to be expected. Add in the fact that the Postal Service has been chronically understaffed and they are going to have problems.

Maybe but tell me why a package mailed from  Pennsylvania  going to Minnesota  goes to Florida,  sits for 2 weeks then goes to Iowa for a week and finally get here,  or why a package from California goes to my post office,  then gets sent to New Jersey,  then comes back to my post office and finally gets delivered? 

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Maybe but tell me why a package mailed from  Pennsylvania  going to Minnesota  goes to Florida,  sits for 2 weeks then goes to Iowa for a week and finally get here,  or why a package from California goes to my post office,  then gets sent to New Jersey,  then comes back to my post office and finally gets delivered? 

It's logistics!  LOL

4 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I had some bad experiences in the last couple months, starting with an ebay purchase that was within three hours of here at the Denver facility, then was inexplicably sent way out west (Salt Lake City) before it was finally rerouted back to here. 

Another purchase went from a small town in Pennsylvania to Philadelphia, where it sat for about ten days before it was sent off to a facility in Florida.  God knows why.  I live in the heart of the midwest.  

My most current ebay buy was purchased on the 20th and "shipped" from Houston on the 21st.  This should be about a 4-day trip at most, but the latest "update" on the 25th says it will be late (possible delivery date - Feb 6th) and is currently on its way to the next facility.  Funny how the tracking doesn't show them having been anywhere near another facility in all this time.     

Edited by Monty

I get Motorsport magazine from England every month but December and January never showed up. Contacted Motorsport and told them it's probably the USPS fault but they immediately sent the two magazines and I got them in about a week. Wonder what happened to the others?

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I get Motorsport magazine from England every month but December and January never showed up. Contacted Motorsport and told them it's probably the USPS fault but they immediately sent the two magazines and I got them in about a week. Wonder what happened to the others?

Some guy at UPS isn't done reading them yet. 

Some companies are using Covid and the resulting delays in mail service as an excuse for slow service, also to try to broom everyone over to "autopay" or "direct payment".  One of my credit card companies issued an e-mail about it.  I didn't get my December statement until after the due date, and the January one is late as well.  I reconstructed the December statement and sent a payment, and have done the same with January, the information I put together matches exactly the balance due in their e-mail.  Funny, the other credit card statements have been getting to me on time with no delays.

I also noticed that the bank I use has been remodeling their branches to eliminate all but a couple of teller windows.  The branches are more sparsely staffed also.  It will be an excuse to trim a bunch of jobs, and get everyone accustomed to lower quality of service.

It is not only USPS, DHL is not any better.  I get my prescriptions through home delivery.  Received an email stating the package had been shipped from Kentucky on January 7th and was given a tracking number.  After a few days I did not receive the package so checked the tracking number.  It showed the package had been received at the Raleigh, NC (100 miles away) center.  Waited a few more days, took the tracking number to the local USPS, they checked it and told me the package had not been released to the USPS.  Waited a couple more days, sent DHL Customer Service 🤣 an email on the 26th of January asking why the package was still in Raleigh, amazingly received the package on the 28th.  Already had my doctor issue an emergency short fill at the local drugstore, which cost me more than the full 90 day fill  from home delivery.

Personally knowing several mail carriers, and after speaking with them, and the postal workers at the counters at a couple local offices, there seems to be two major problems. They all seem to blame the same things. One is the virus, as more people are now buying online more than ever. Also the virus affecting the health of workers. Some are short staffed over it, at a time where more people are needed. And the other problem is the postmaster general, DeJoy and the upper management not knowing anything about how to run the postal service. I waited over a month for a very valuable book that I’m grateful it arrived without damage. Usually when something sits, or gets tossed around at a post office for a month, has a good chance of being destroying the mail. I sure feel terrible for the people who rely on the postal service to get their medical supplies and medications. Bad enough there is a virus, but also dealing with incompetence at the top. 

On 1/25/2021 at 9:36 AM, cobraman said:

That's a long time for a firearm to be bouncing around. I used Fedex next day the last time I shipped a pistol. it was not cheap but it got there quick.

Yes it IS a long time. As an FFL dealer, we can use USPS to ship handguns, (only dealers can us them for handguns), and it is always less costly, and almost always faster than UPS or FedEx. Except this time! 

I ordered a model through Amazon from Round2. It was shipped via USPS on Jan 26, on the 27th it went from South Bend, IN to Pittsburgh, PA (in an hour!) to Washington, DC on 1/30 and left the Washington, DC distribution center at 10PM 1/30. I'm interested to see where it goes from there - I pass the Washington distribution center daily on my way to work. The projected arrival date for the package is Feb 9-12. I wonder what the odds are it arrives early this week? 

My package went to the Southern MD Distribution Center then to my local post office yesterday. That's where I saw it this morning, so I thought maybe tomorrow or Wednesday? Nope, it was sitting on my front porsche :) this afternoon. I was quite pleased - it was as many as 11 days early.

We've certainly had more than our share of delivery issues (both incoming and outgoing) recently, I'm not sure how I lucked out with this one. 

I actually have couple of positive experiences.  Couple of items I bought on eBay. Both shipped on Jan. 29th, standard First Class Mail. Both small (about 5 x 7) padded envelopes.  One mailed from RI, the other from CA.  I'm in MA. Bot arrived today (Feb 1st).  Quite reasonable, especially for the one from CA.