Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite/greatest body style ever?

Scotty (sfhess), stop bombarding this thread with all your pics! ...Read the original post. If you want to pointlessly post gobs of pics of all the cars you can come up with then start your own thread. ... I already asked nicely once... this is the second time, plus the PM I sent you,  now please show some respect.

I just went through and counted (49 pics) that you have posted. The guidelines in the O.P. request that you post up to 4, and could be up to 8 if you pick a car and a truck... Even if you changed your mind later in the thread (as per O.P. guidelines), that would give you up to 16 pics you could post... 49 pictures is clearly ridiculous.

Edited by Venom

12 hours ago, catpack68 said:

This thread really got derailed but this is my favorite all-time body style.70-73 split bumper Camaro.Modified or factory stock.

I agree on both counts, lol. The '70-'73 Camaro's, and Firebird/Trans Am's are a very close second to the '68-'72 GM A-body on my list! 

16 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I agree on both counts, lol. The '70-'73 Camaro's, and Firebird/Trans Am's are a very close second to the '68-'72 GM A-body on my list! 

I too agree on the A-bodies, and as much as I love my TA, the split bumper Camaro is a definately a favorite of mine, at least as Camaro's go.

19 hours ago, Venom said:

Scotty (sfhess), stop bombarding this thread with all your pics! ...Read the original post. If you want to pointlessly post gobs of pics of all the cars you can come up with then start your own thread. ... I already asked nicely once... this is the second time, plus the PM I sent you,  now please show some respect.

I just went through and counted (49 pics) that you have posted. The guidelines in the O.P. request that you post up to 4, and could be up to 8 if you pick a car and a truck... Even if you changed your mind later in the thread (as per O.P. guidelines), that would give you up to 16 pics you could post... 49 pictures is clearly ridiculous.

Sorry for violating your "rules" Joshy.  

Please stop disrespecting by using a diminutive of my name.  Like I said the second "t" is silent.

SCOTT Hess

I like Joshy... Joshy boy is another I go by sometimes.🤠

Well, hopefully we’ll be getting back on to seeing some more body styles that people have come to love most. It’s very interesting seeing them, and even the ones I find to be strange choices get me to thinking about them from a different angle so that I can come to appreciate what the poster sees in them. 

Carry on, Joshy

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Just because I posted a favourite doesn't mean I don't like the others, and the '70-'73 is hands down the best looking Camaro.

Agreed on the Camaro... The one above in bright red is absolutely stunning! ...And there are cars in here that I’ve never seen before that are just incredible!

Edited by Venom

On 4/23/2021 at 5:48 AM, catpack68 said:

This thread really got derailed but this is my favorite all-time body style.70-73 split bumper Camaro.Modified or factory stock.

DB2B1F45-F947-4052-B788-199D79D9EC6D.jpeg

C29B4120-1FA3-4820-9558-CD3BB127C609.jpeg

Best looking Camaro ever in mu opinion ...

Edited by slusher

Greetings...

A favorite would be the BMW E9 platform produced from '68 to '75.  This would include the 2800 CS, the 3.0 CS and CSi as well as the 3.0 and 3.3 CSL models. Body by Karmann Coachworks, while the funniest thing I've read concerning their handiwork is that Karmann invented rust - then licensed the process to the Italians!

1795853769_Image1.jpg.7d5b9bf05df4d5495a4ef3c210fbe1db.jpg

1031506787_Image2.jpg.a65b568233e29aac42c598132032ded3.jpg

1085261773_Image3.jpg.b5173131e0adfdffe2974fcb4a496cc6.jpg

...ignore the museum identification applied to the end of the front fenders above the beltline trim which looks strange indeed.  Chamonix (White) isn't a terrific color for this car, although these were amongst the best images I could find for a short search.  Yes - Mikey likes it!

514180236_MikeyLifeCerealimage.jpg.28705be6f870796f6faa9f87d13d2102.jpg

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

On 4/24/2021 at 10:31 PM, swede70 said:

Greetings...

A favorite would be the BMW E9 platform produced from '68 to '75.  This would include the 2800 CS, the 3.0 CS and CSi as well as the 3.0 and 3.3 CSL models. Body by Karmann Coachworks, while the funniest thing I've read concerning their handiwork is that Karmann invented rust - then licensed the process to the Italians!

1795853769_Image1.jpg.7d5b9bf05df4d5495a4ef3c210fbe1db.jpg

1031506787_Image2.jpg.a65b568233e29aac42c598132032ded3.jpg

1085261773_Image3.jpg.b5173131e0adfdffe2974fcb4a496cc6.jpg

...ignore the museum identification applied to the end of the front fenders above the beltline trim which looks strange indeed.  Chamonix (White) isn't a terrific color for this car, although these were amongst the best images I could find for a short search.  Yes - Mikey likes it!

514180236_MikeyLifeCerealimage.jpg.28705be6f870796f6faa9f87d13d2102.jpg

Mike K./Swede70

This is a great car. Beautiful and reliable. Bought one from Italy back in the day. Had to add side impact bars, change the beautiful wood steering wheel to a leather wheel and change the windshield. When gray market cars were a gray area.  I wish I never sold this one. Good job picking this car. 

On 5/1/2021 at 8:05 PM, Venom said:

That camera shot caught the meanest looking angle of this car for sure!

It sure did! I'd grown up in a GM family and my first two cars were a '65 Impala ($75.00) and '67 Impala ($200), both 2 doors, automatic and the standard 283 2 bbl and both were ratty I suppose but I was in high school and working at a Gulf station, so I loved them and was proud that I'd paid for them all by myself. But when Ford came out with the Torino fastbacks in '68, I fell in love and wished that Chevy's Chevelle and Mopar's mid-size cars could look that racy and have fastbacks. Right out of high school, I joined the U.S. Navy and gave the '67 Impala to my mom (the '65 had been junked). 

I saved my money in the four years in the navy, and when I got out, I went hunting for a used '70 or '71 Torino or Cobra with 4 speed stick and the big 429. I don't have photos of the two I bought, sadly, I did take pictures but have no idea what I did with them now. One was a mint condition '70 Torino GT with the 351 Cleveland 4 bbl, bright yellow. The other was a '70 Torino Cobra in not so nice shape but with the ultimate engine, the 429SCJ, a mean green color. Both were 4 speeds (Hurst), the beat up Torino Cobra had cherry bomb mufflers and drank lots of oil. Ford was sued by the insurance industry for lying about the HP in the 429SCJ engine. 

That car blew the doors off of a friend's Road Runner 426 hemi, another's 427 Z28, another guy's 454 SS and everyone else who dared challenge me. Although it did overheat and slurp lots of oil in the process. Sigh, those were the days, I was young and foolish. Good thing there was no official police department where I lived then, just a township constable who had a large area to patrol. 

8 hours ago, John1955 said:

It sure did! I'd grown up in a GM family and my first two cars were a '65 Impala ($75.00) and '67 Impala ($200), both 2 doors, automatic and the standard 283 2 bbl and both were ratty I suppose but I was in high school and working at a Gulf station, so I loved them and was proud that I'd paid for them all by myself. But when Ford came out with the Torino fastbacks in '68, I fell in love and wished that Chevy's Chevelle and Mopar's mid-size cars could look that racy and have fastbacks. Right out of high school, I joined the U.S. Navy and gave the '67 Impala to my mom (the '65 had been junked). 

I saved my money in the four years in the navy, and when I got out, I went hunting for a used '70 or '71 Torino or Cobra with 4 speed stick and the big 429. I don't have photos of the two I bought, sadly, I did take pictures but have no idea what I did with them now. One was a mint condition '70 Torino GT with the 351 Cleveland 4 bbl, bright yellow. The other was a '70 Torino Cobra in not so nice shape but with the ultimate engine, the 429SCJ, a mean green color. Both were 4 speeds (Hurst), the beat up Torino Cobra had cherry bomb mufflers and drank lots of oil. Ford was sued by the insurance industry for lying about the HP in the 429SCJ engine. 

That car blew the doors off of a friend's Road Runner 426 hemi, another's 427 Z28, another guy's 454 SS and everyone else who dared challenge me. Although it did overheat and slurp lots of oil in the process. Sigh, those were the days, I was young and foolish. Good thing there was no official police department where I lived then, just a township constable who had a large area to patrol. 

That’s a cool story ... to bad you didn’t still have either of those Torinos ... Reminds me of one of my uncles who always had really cool muscle cars, but totaled them all... His Mach 1 probably would have been the most valuable today.

On 5/3/2021 at 2:56 PM, Venom said:

That’s a cool story ... to bad you didn’t still have either of those Torinos ... Reminds me of one of my uncles who always had really cool muscle cars, but totaled them all... His Mach 1 probably would have been the most valuable today.

Well, when I got married, I sold the Torino Cobra, but it was junk by then, rusty and not running, so I got only $200 for it. I kept the Torino GT for awhile, but a guy at work made me an incredible offer for it that I couldn't refuse. Much higher than book value, so I said yes. Apparently, he'd done research and a car equipped that way was extremely rare. His intent was to drive it very little, then store it as the value increased over the years. But he wrecked it only 6 weeks after I sold it to him, a total loss and he was in the hospital a long time. 

2 hours ago, John1955 said:

Well, when I got married, I sold the Torino Cobra, but it was junk by then, rusty and not running, so I got only $200 for it. I kept the Torino GT for awhile, but a guy at work made me an incredible offer for it that I couldn't refuse. Much higher than book value, so I said yes. Apparently, he'd done research and a car equipped that way was extremely rare. His intent was to drive it very little, then store it as the value increased over the years. But he wrecked it only 6 weeks after I sold it to him, a total loss and he was in the hospital a long time. 

Wow! ... that’s really too bad...on both counts.

I'll play!

The 1980-1982 Corvettes.  

mcm8.jpg.e4e8eb9060875f19f84a817958d3f4df.jpg

I thought the front and rear caps on these was a vast improvement on an already good design.  You still see '74-'79 owners adding that rear cap to their cars.

Mine was a red '80 with red leather, but this was my favorite paint job (light/dark claret).  By that time emissions had neutered the engines, but driving down the road with the sun behind you cast a neat shadow thanks to those peaked fenders.