Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Dodge Phoenix Convertible

TooOld

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think a common mistake is to make models sit too low. 
I’ve been guilty of that myself many times.

My opinion is that it looks just about perfect! 😉

Appreciate the encouragement .  I've already moved on , leaving it just as it sits . :)

Hey Bob @TooOld

Chassis work is really looking good. 

Just got back to this part of the forum. Been busy with outdoor projects.

Not much modeling so far this summer.

Watching you on this project makes me want to get mine out.

After I get the hood open, it'll start working on the Dodge Sonoramic Commando 413 long cross-ram - Love that engine!!

DSCN8114.JPG

Edited by carbuilder1950

On 8/6/2021 at 6:16 PM, John Goschke said:

Looks terrific up on all fours!  I agree that those AMT tires are great, with the perfect white wall width.  I've got no problem with a detailed curbside – keep that burnout at bay!

Thanks John I appreciate that !  

14 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

Hey Bob @TooOld

Chassis work is really looking good. 

Just got back to this part of the forum. Been busy with outdoor projects.

Not much modeling so far this summer.

Watching you on this project makes me want to get mine out.

After I get the hood open, it'll start working on the Dodge Sonoramic Commando 413 long cross-ram - Love that engine!!

Thanks David , that's a great looking motor !  It was kind of rare in the Phoenix but it sure was popular in the Polara , can't wait to see yours .

I've done enough of this kind of build to know that there's always a surprise during final assembly so I'm pre-fitting everything on this one , everything you see on the chassis is assembled with Tacky glue which is easily cleaned before paint .  The engine isn't complete only what can be seen from the bottom , and if you look closely you can see where I've drilled and pinned the front sub-frame with 1/16" rod .  The biggest issue was reshaping the exhaust to fit the new chassis , but after some hair pulling it's done . I've already assembled and disassembled both the chassis and the interior several times and fit them into the body . . . it all fits every time so I'm ready to start painting !

Still not getting much bench time but the Vermillion Red paint arrived Wednesday so I made some time , and since the chassis was still sitting in front of me I decided to paint it first .  Nothing fancy , no extra detailing , it's all done with spray cans .   I did use some tape for the fuel tank straps .

Plan on starting the interior next week !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the last couple of weeks or so working on the interior , compared to this painting the chassis was a piece of cake !  My seat decals actually went on with no problems at all , much easier than expected , it was foiling the piping that I struggled with . Mainly because of the current issue with BMF , but I finally was able to piece it together with remnants from an old sheet .  I figured spraying the door panels and seats with Dullcote would ruin the foil so I sprayed them with a Semi-Gloss clear , they still have too much shine so I may spray another coat . Other than that I'm happy with how the interior is looking .

Along with using embossing powder for the carpet I made a heel pad using a technique by an unknown modeler that was posted by Steve Guthmiller .

46 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Thanks Steve , definitely learned a lot doing it this way !  If I could do it again I'm sure it would be better .

Well, that’s the great thing about taking on these kinds of modifications.

You learn so much by taking the plunge and they just get better with each successive attempt.

I’m just really happy to see that there are others doing this sort of thing, especially with interiors.

These old kits deserve this kind of attention, and this way I get to see what they “should” look like without having to do them all myself! 😉😁

Steve