21 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful shade of Red!

Thanks Carl !

21 hours ago, Bucky said:

A striking color! 

Thanks Bucky !

17 hours ago, CabDriver said:

That’s gorgeous Bob - great color!

Thanks Much Jim !  Like a lot of colors this one really looks better in person .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David G. said:

Excellent looking paint! A great color for that body style.

David G.

Thanks david !

5 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

@TooOld

Bob, Bob, Bob...the color is just GORGEOUS!!!

This will be a stunner when it's done.

Gotta go get mine out, and just drool a bit :lol:.

Thanks David ! Get it out and take some pics .

4 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

This is a jaw dropping build! The craftsmanship on each part is out standing! That dash is just incredible!! And the rest of the interior is just flawless! Great job on each part of this build!! A true inspiration 

Thanks very much Anton !

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a month since I've worked on this mainly because I was hesitant about foiling the body . Not because I don't like to do it , I don't mind at all and I've gotten really good at it !  I've been putting it off because I have very little of the "New Improved" stuff left , I used the smaller pieces on the interior and might have just enough left for the body .  I do have a sheet of what BMF is selling now but after experimenting with it I'm not looking forward to using it .

I decided to compromise and paint the windshield frame and the top/boot trim piece , this will give me enough foil for the rest of the body .  After some careful masking I sprayed it with some Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Chrome , not the best but my compressor is down so I couldn't spray it with Molotow . Another compromise but it's done now and I can move on . Once it dries for a few days the foiling can begin !

2v2a7fA1NxfdcaD.jpg

4 hours ago, espo said:

I like how your "spray chrome" looks, it will be interesting to see how well it holds up to any handling in the finishing of this build.  

Shouldn't be an issue , Everything has been pre-drilled pre-fit and pre-assembled , it's basically finished . Plus once my bodies are painted I always wear gloves and I don't plan on handling the windshield frame .

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Shouldn't be an issue , Everything has been pre-drilled pre-fit and pre-assembled , it's basically finished . Plus once my bodies are painted I always wear gloves and I don't plan on handling the windshield frame .

As long as it's not Molotow, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I'm no expert on these "chrome" paints, but I'm pretty sure that most of the actual paints are much more durable than Molotow ink.

Steve

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

I do that also with my bad had that holds the model.  Couple Gus gave me a hard time for using gloves..

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted an update but finally had some time last week to work on a few things .   After painting the top boot I applied the snaps by dabbing a little clear and then positioning the washers , when everything dried it was sprayed with some semi-gloss clear .

Also glued the headlight lens in place to finish the grille/bumper .

The big task was foiling the body . Not a lot really but it was more difficult since I was piecing together small pieces of the New Improved Chrome I have left . The side trim for example used six or seven pieces and took a couple of hours to finish each side . The rest was pretty straight forward except for the taillight bezels which are a combination of foil and Molotow Chrome .

There are several small details to take care of and then I can start the final assembly .  I might just finish it this year !!

On 10/14/2021 at 6:20 PM, Bucky said:

Did you use a base color under the chrome paint? It looks really good from here!

It was sprayed directly over the red paint .  These chrome paints spray very heavy so you need to hold the can at least 18 inches from the part being sprayed and move the can side to side quickly .

5 hours ago, David G. said:

Beautiful!

Often, the tiniest details make the biggest difference.

David G. 

Thanks David !

5 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Awesome build Bob! 

Thanks Dan !

4 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Everything looks wonderful, Bob! Nice work! 👍😎

Thanks JR !

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Incredible work..

Thank you Carl !

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I remember foiling those tail light bezels on my '60 Dodge!

If you can foil those, you can foil anything!!!

Steve

Thanks much Steve , they were a real challenge for sure !  I doubt the current thicker foil would have worked .