Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Workaround For Shaky Hands?

I don't know how much this could cost to recreate it for model car use but my hands are shaky. I have to build with no caffeine or other shake inducing stress triggers which is rare. Usually it's two hands for everything like applying glue, decals or any other detail work. It's pretty frustrating.

https://gizmodo.com/clever-maker-with-hand-tremors-turned-a-smartphone-gimb-1847009558?utm_source=gizmodo_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-06-01

I've had a hand tremor since my first back surgery in '07. Weird thing is, it only develops when I'm trying to do small things. Especially so when I'm working on a model. Seems the harder I try to control it, the worse it gets. Sometimes, I just have to stop and do something else. Detail painting is my nemesis! I have to mask or scribe around window trim that gets painted. I paint then sand down to the detail on gauges. I've had to develop different techniques for several things. Still, it can be frustrating trying to install a small part and I knock off or knock loose others. I figure when it gets too bad, I'll try a larger scale.

I get that same hand tremor in my right hand. Mine seems to be when I do some repeat motion like shaking a spray can. My work around is I’ve developed my left hand to do more.  I still can do my detail painting with my right hand, but it can act up at any time so I’m cautious. 

14 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I get that same hand tremor in my right hand. Mine seems to be when I do some repeat motion like shaking a spray can. My work around is I’ve developed my left hand to do more.  I still can do my detail painting with my right hand, but it can act up at any time so I’m cautious. 

These are the things we should all remember Before we leave overly critical comments on other builders projects.

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

These are the things we should all remember Before we leave overly critical comments on other builders projects.

I never leave critical comments,  just some friendly suggestions. The builder may be a young person just getting started and we don't want to run them off. 

I have slight hand tremors sometimes. I've been just holding the part in my left hand and the paintbrush or tool in my right, and bracing both hands against the top of my work table. That works out pretty good most of the time. 

No shaky hands yet for me, at least that's what I tell myself.  When the shaking starts I normally lay the part I'm detailing on the work bench and lay lead weights on the part to hold it steady.  Then, I lay my left hand on the work bench and hold my right hand to steady it.  Seems to work pretty good but it takes a lot of re-positioning.  I don't get this to often and I sometike just wait til it passes. 

I get a strange thing in my left hand, on top of general shakiness. If I'm holding small parts in it I have to use my thumb and forefinger as the other 3 keep trying to bend the wrong way. I've tried using clamping tweezers to hold the parts but that just makes the shakiness more of a problem. I have found that one of those anti rsi pads for computers helps if i rest the pinky side of my hands on it when working. Its still not better than non shakey hands but you might find it helps you too

• 3 weeks later...

How about using something like a painters maul stick or some sort of bridge to use as a hand rest to steady your hand?  Sign painters and artists have used them forever, I have a couple of them in my sign kit.  They are invaluable for off balance work both sign painting and striping.  You can make a bridge with a stack of books and a piece of wood that spans across the stacks with your work piece between resting your hand on the slat to perform the task that you need a steady hand to perform.  Another trick with both maul stick and bridge is using a two-handed grip on the tool, one hand grasps the tool or paint brush while your non-dominant hand holds and steadies your dominant hand.   If you find the bridge works for you, then you can make a more permanent bridge with a couple of pieces of wood to support the slat, either nail, glue or screw the pieces together.

Dick Blick and other art stores carry maul sticks, or just search for a painter’s maul stick.   You can easily make one yourself with a length of 1/2” or thicker dowel, a cork or rubber ball to attach to the dowel to provide control to the stick.

4 minutes ago, Skip said:

How about using something like a painters maul stick or some sort of bridge to use as a hand rest to steady your hand?  Sign painters and artists have used them forever, I have a couple of them in my sign kit.  They are invaluable for off balance work both sign painting and striping.  You can make a bridge with a stack of books and a piece of wood that spans across the stacks with your work piece between resting your hand on the slat to perform the task that you need a steady hand to perform.  Another trick with both maul stick and bridge is using a two-handed grip on the tool, one hand grasps the tool or paint brush while your non-dominant hand holds and steadies your dominant hand.   If you find the bridge works for you, then you can make a more permanent bridge with a couple of pieces of wood to support the slat, either nail, glue or screw the pieces together.

Dick Blick and other art stores carry maul sticks, or just search for a painter’s maul stick.   You can easily make one yourself with a length of 1/2” or thicker dowel, a cork or rubber ball to attach to the dowel to provide control to the stick.

That is what I use. Also, sometimes I wrap a tight gauze around my hand very tightly and it helps. When using a paint pen/marker to detail a model, I move the model instead of my hand with my arm and hand resting on a flat piece of 2X4 and the model on the slippery surface of my kitchen table. I use Endust on the table to make it slippery.