Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1961 Chevy Impala SS*

Zippi

24 minutes ago, TooOld said:

I'd work with the wrinkled stuff , the old foil is soooo much  better than the new stuff !  I found that by slowly lifting your piece of foil off of the backing it's possible to smooth the wrinkles out as you lift it , any remaining marks will disappear after it's applied to the body .  Worth a try !

Fellow USAF Vet here . :)

Thanks for the info.  From one Bob and one Vet to another, guess I'll just have to play around with the new and old to find something that works.  

6 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

One suggestion would be using the sizing for applying leaf to get the foil to stick. Another experiment might be to brush some elmers glue. Just a thought.  Not sure of other possible adhesives you could use.

Thanks for the suggestions Bob.  Working on my 29 Roadster today but Monday I'll get back after it again.

It's looking great Bob. I like the interior, I think the black floorboard is a good contrast to the blue and white. I had trouble with the foil when I tried it on the 57 gasser, have not tried it again yet. Hope you get it worked out. I had also read somewhere about using Elmers glue or Mod Podge? to help it stick. 

17 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

It's looking great Bob. I like the interior, I think the black floorboard is a good contrast to the blue and white. I had trouble with the foil when I tried it on the 57 gasser, have not tried it again yet. Hope you get it worked out. I had also read somewhere about using Elmers glue or Mod Podge? to help it stick. 

Thanks James.  Yeah....I'm going to get after it on Monday and see what I can do.

It looks great!

I concur, use the old foil.  The wrinkles should pull out as you lift it off. Hopefully it sticks ok, my theory on the wrinkles is that that are cause from the glue shrinking with age.

Edited by Ron57

4 minutes ago, Ron57 said:

It looks great!

I concur, use the old foil.  The wrinkles should pull out as you lift it off. Hopefully it sticks ok, my theory on the wrinkles is that that are cause from the glue shrinking with age.

Thanks Ron.

As usual, nice work on this one Bob.

I like that there is a bit of a rake to the stance, sort of a nod to custom trends of yore. The interior looks great, nice detail painting. I might have gone with a dark blue for the carpet rather than black, just my own personal preference. Nice engine and chassis too.

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

As usual, nice work on this one Bob.

I like that there is a bit of a rake to the stance, sort of a nod to custom trends of yore. The interior looks great, nice detail painting. I might have gone with a dark blue for the carpet rather than black, just my own personal preference. Nice engine and chassis too.

David G.

Thanks Dave.  I wish I could have gotten it lower but everything just seem to bottom out.  

On 11/18/2021 at 9:39 AM, Zippi said:

Everything is dry but still needs a little touch up in a few places.   I did a dry fit and I'm now wondering if the floor board should be blue vs the flat black.  

20211118_083258.jpg

20211118_083425.jpg

I think the flat black floor provides a nice contrast to the blue and white.  Enjoying this build and the results are looking GREAT.

3 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Since it is a hot rod the black floor looks perfect, although you could paint it red and be very patriotic 🏁

Don't know about the red but the black I thought looked pretty kewl.  I'm not one that needs my models to be period correct so I guess it works for me. 

I've found set backs can really put a damper on a project. Thats why many modelers have a few stalled projects. I'd say for the most part there are challenges that come up in each project as you have experienced through some of your previous projects. At least this issue is not a paint fiasco.

Its does help to have a couple of projects going for problems like this. I'm confident you will overcome this issue. Definitely a cool project.

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I've found set backs can really put a damper on a project. Thats why many modelers have a few stalled projects. I'd say for the most part there are challenges that come up in each project as you have experienced through some of your previous projects. At least this issue is not a paint fiasco.

Its does help to have a couple of projects going for problems like this. I'm confident you will overcome this issue. Definitely a cool project.

Thanks Bob.  Just finished my 29 Roadster so I'll be tackling the bmf issue tomorrow.

Well....I think I'm throwing the towel in on this one.  I have tried 3 different times with different bmf and it will not stick.  Even when I do get it to stick the blade pulls it off when I start to make a cut and that's with a new blade.  With all the handling of the body I've managed to mess up the foil that I did get to stick and the paint has taken a hit as well.  That's all for now fella's.  Back in the box she goes and I'm marking it on top "Only open on a good day"   

4 hours ago, Zippi said:

Well....I think I'm throwing the towel in on this one.  I have tried 3 different times with different bmf and it will not stick.  Even when I do get it to stick the blade pulls it off when I start to make a cut and that's with a new blade.  With all the handling of the body I've managed to mess up the foil that I did get to stick and the paint has taken a hit as well.  That's all for now fella's.  Back in the box she goes and I'm marking it on top "Only open on a good day"   

When I tried the foil now available from BMF (I hate calling it new) I also had problems when cutting it , the blade not only pulled at the foil it also put little tears or rips in it all along the length of the cut . A complete mess !  Now I've used the last of my "New Improved" Chrome on the '60 Dodge so not sure about the next build . I can't blame you for throwing in the towel , I guess we have to start thinking old school and go back to painting all of the trim . :(

2 minutes ago, TooOld said:

When I tried the foil now available from BMF (I hate calling it new) I also had problems when cutting it , the blade not only pulled at the foil it also put little tears or rips in it all along the length of the cut . A complete mess !  Now I've used the last of my "New Improved" Chrome on the '60 Dodge so not sure about the next build . I can't blame you for throwing in the towel , I guess we have to start thinking old school and go back to painting all of the trim . :(

I also had the tearing issue along the cut.  This build may never see the light of day again.  I'll be looking at kits now that require no foil or something easy to paint.