Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod Lincoln Wagon

Oldmopars

I love wagons like Oprah loves bread. When the Lincoln kit came back out I had to have one. I do not like the way the custom roof looks. It is too curved at the B pillar, and there is no way there could be access to the back. 
I started by cutting the glass top to insert just the roof section in and glued that in place. I then added a header above the rear door. 
I then cut out the B pillar and removed the drip rail. I made new B pillars that are more angular to match the lines of the car. Then I added a drip rail that continues all the way around the roof like it would have been from the factory. 
I am calling this a Hot Rod because it is going to be powered by the Boss 429 from the 1970 Galaxie. I know this would never have happened, but maybe the stock MEL blew up and Dad wanted more power. It should move the wagon pretty good. 
The roof rack is from the 1977 Ford Van. It will also get a couple of Surf boards from the 1965 Chevy wagon. 

D3DD4322-4504-4DD3-821A-59F8AAB62AB9.jpeg

FF48710E-0042-48EA-94AD-7572B78D9612.jpeg

5952125A-EF9E-423E-BAA1-48E73213185B.jpeg

Edited by Oldmopars

Having destroyed one f these in my youth, I obtained a re-issue several years ago but have yet to crack the cellophane!  every time I see someone build one of these I home in on the details.  I really like where you are going with this.  You are correcting the proportional details that many leave box stock and I think you will have a much more believable wagon as a result. Mine is destined to tow a front engined rail so I love the roof rack on yours - just the spot for spare slicks!

Cheers

Alan

I did a little more on the B pillars. Or are they C pillars, as there is really no B? 
Anyway, the mods looked better than the original roof, but I thought they needed a little bit more. I added some character to them to make them look more formal. A little .040 round in front and some .030x.060 in the rear. 
when I BMF it, I will include the forward round part. 

EDE70197-B155-43B4-92D6-0D94F0F8F946.jpeg

70E06826-D62F-4DEF-B183-DCAC50BB91E3.jpeg

2 hours ago, espo said:

I like the changes you have made to the roof. This makes it look more feasible than the kits B Pillar. Would a bushed aluminum looking insert on the B Pillar fit with your design plan ?  

Yes, that was part of my plan. I want it to look like an up scale wagon, one Lincoln would have made. If I could find some small emblems to put there, I would. 

Ii got some more work done on the Lincoln. I now have the first coat of primer on the body. This allows you to get a better picture of the final car. Still a lot of sanding and fixing, but it looks pretty good for a first primer coat. The silver strip in the B pillars is some aluminum foil to show the trim that will be installed in the final car. 

I also painted the engine block Ford Engine Blue, and the interior a base black. I will flock or emboss the carpet then figure out the interior color. 

The body color is going to be a dark metalic blue or green. The final interior color will have to work with that. 

20211106_111748.jpg

20211106_111755.jpg

20211106_111805.jpg

I have thought about the rear gate. I have added to the roof so it has a real opening back window, and scribed seams for the tail gate. However, anything else I could do would take away from the lines of the car. It would involve cutting the rear bumper and messing up the back of the car. 
I plan to display it with the back window “down” and maybe a surfboard sticking out. 

Maybe have the rear window open upward from the tailgate. You could put a surf board sticking out on top of the tailgate and the rear window eitheer up or down resting on the surf board. I'd put a "towel" between the surf board and the rear window in that case.   

Yes, I like that idea. However I am thinking more along keeping the tailgate closed and hinge the upper glass. Kind of like 55-57 Nomads. 
Originally I was thinking the glass would just roll down into the tailgate like on late 60’s to early 70’s wagons. 
We shall see. The open upper glass would add something. 

Edited by Oldmopars

• 3 weeks later...

I got some work done on the Lincoln today. The interior is finished, carpet is flocked, engine is in. I need to touch up some paint around the radiator, but it is getting there. 
The engine is the Boss 429 with stock MEL air cleaner. 
I put some paint on the body, but with the cold weather I put the body in my dehydrator. I think it may be too warm as it caused some bubbles to rise up from the primer. So, I will sand it and hit it again next weekend. Should be an easy fix. 

EA1198BF-92BF-4364-A050-EB49B76862EF.jpeg

Edited by Oldmopars
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I got some work done on the Lincoln today. The interior is finished, carpet is flocked, engine is in. I need to touch up some paint around the radiator, but it is getting there. 
The engine is the Boss 429 with stock MEL air cleaner. 
I put some paint on the body, but with the cold weather I put the body in my dehydrator. I think it may be too warm as it caused some bubbles to rise up from the primer. So, I will sand it and hit it again next weekend. Should be an easy fix. 

EA1198BF-92BF-4364-A050-EB49B76862EF.jpeg

Nice looking interior,  it’s hard painting in cold weather. Going to warm up here this week. I hope to paint some..

I am so going to do this!  I have been sitting on this kit for years, decades even, waiting for inspiration to hit.  The mods you have done have improved the design in both proportion and style.  I can see this towing a long wheelbase front-engined dragster in the same colours to a Cacklefest.  Sooooo cool!

Cheers

Alan