Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris CBP 2022

Jantrix

22 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

I did some research and this came up on the official site.

“The 2022 Peking to Paris Motor Challenge will now take place in 2023.”

Ok, wow!  I wonder when they changed that and why?  https://www.endurorally.com/events/the-8th-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge-2022/ That is really subtile on the web site.  No big announcments or anything.  Just a side note.  Bummer.  

So, do we continue and do a 2022?  I am kind of partial to holding it anyway.

I picked up a Tamiya Lotus Super 7 for this run, kind of inspired by James May's Caterham from the Grand Tour's Madagascar episode. I'm going to lift it a bit and run the other pairs of tires from the beetle. I'd like to find a twin cam 1600 Lotus engine too.

1078103128_images(2).jpeg.039b8893eeebcaf8374937183ce47996.jpeg00a_Caterham.jpg.2987dd4507b6c60765da5bae0995d63a.jpg

• Like 1

I really don't want to make an issue of this so I will say, please build what you want.  There is no prize, purely just for fun but here it is.  The rules for the real deal PtoP are very specific.  It is for as close to period correct generally unmodified vehicles.  Contrary to the name this is not a "race" rally.  It is a endurance rally.  Taking what is essentially an unmodified factory stock car, with very modest upgrades, loaded with all the spare parts and camping gear you are going to need to get to Paris.  Purpose built rally buggy's and other vehicle that you would run in Paris/Dakar may not participate in the real deal.  It is a gentleman's race. 

As I said, please, build what every you want and have fun with it.  As for me, I am going to stick to the spirit of the real race. 

• Like 1

Am I understanding this correct, a Ranchero or El Camino would not be allowed?

If that is the case, I’m left with a 64 Cutlass Convertable, 53 Ford Convertible, 64 Belvedere or a 71 Mustang. At this point I think I will use the 71 Mustang as it is a POS kit and uninspiring for any other use. 

I would like to enter. I am choosing the  Moebius '55 Chrysler 300. Can I request the #12 if it is available? I will be using the Tim Flock version because it has all the stock stuff, headlights, wipers etc, but it also has the nascar interior with the back seat removed, and the heavier duty wheels, etc. So it probably won't need a lot of mods. That means I have a better chance of actually finishing it, lol! s-l1600.jpg.20e176619f6513182b95e183d89f8a46.jpg

Edited by larman
  • Like 1

Got my '34 Ford kit ordered. I had vacillated between the Tudor Sedan and the Coupe. I had chosen a coupe, but since I'm doing this, I've chosen to go with the Tudor Sedan instead. More Cargo Room, and the weight differences seem negligible. I partially based this change on reading the story of "Ruby" the Model A, sedan that completed the P2P a few years ago. One Thing I know that I'll do, after reading their story. I'll take a few extra wire wheels, if I chose to keep them. 

So, Now I start on the engine, and wait.