Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1964 Nova SS - first detailed look inside the box...

tim boyd

Just now, RichCostello said:

From the looks of some of the extra parts in this kit (4barrel carb/manifold, traction bars, 4 speed console) it seems like a street machine version might happen in the future. Anybody know if this is a possibility?

Count on it, in some form or another.  TB

On 3/9/2022 at 3:53 PM, RichCostello said:

From the looks of some of the extra parts in this kit (4barrel carb/manifold, traction bars, 4 speed console) it seems like a street machine version might happen in the future. Anybody know if this is a possibility?

Last weekend I walked into Pegasus Hobbies and bought my pair of new Nova kits. I got to talking with the owner (who also owns Moebius) and he confirmed there is a Street Machine version of the ‘64 (that the additional parts apply to + more on separate trees not seen yet) and a Stock version of the ‘65 coming later. He also said these two kits have been selling like crazy in just the few weeks they’ve been out. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Last weekend I walked into Pegasus Hobbies and bought my pair of new Nova kits. I got to talking with the owner (who also owns Moebius) and he confirmed there is a Street Machine version of the ‘64 (that the additional parts apply to + more on separate trees not seen yet) and a Stock version of the ‘65 coming later. He also said these two kits have been selling like crazy in just the few weeks they’ve been out. 

Great to hear and shows the owner that there's money to be made with all new kits of selected vintage automotive subject matter.

3 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I got to talking with the owner (who also owns Moebius) and he confirmed there is a Street Machine version of the ‘64 (that the additional parts apply to + more on separate trees not seen yet) and a Stock version of the ‘65 coming later. 

Pretty surprised to hear plans like that being disclosed in the public domain at this time.   We will see additional versions of the '64/'65 Chevy II tool on the hobby store shelves, but I expect that they will see production down the road a bit, as there are a couple of other nearer term, higher priority projects underway there right now from what I hear.   Anyway, something to look forward to!   Thanks Dennis for passing this along.  TB 

Edited by tim boyd

On 1/8/2022 at 8:11 AM, Rob Hall said:

There was a '62 convertible also.  AMT made a kit. 

The 1963 NOVA SS convertible was a one year (Nova/SS/ convertible) offerring . No SS in 1962. I had read that Chevy was going to drop the Nova hardtop in 1964 but ultimately decided to keep it. Too bad Chevy didn't keep the convertible in 1964 and 1965.

2 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

The 1963 NOVA SS convertible was a one year (Nova/SS/ convertible) offerring . No SS in 1962. I had read that Chevy was going to drop the Nova hardtop in 1964 but ultimately decided to keep it. Too bad Chevy didn't keep the convertible in 1964 and 1965.

I never said anything about the SS.  I was talking about the AMT annuals.  They made a ‘62 Chevy II convertible kit.  I have one.  

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Pretty surprised to hear plans like that being disclosed in the public domain at this time.   We will see additional versions of the '64/'65 Chevy II tool on the hobby store shelves, but I expect that they will see production down the road a bit, as there are a couple of other nearer term, higher priority projects underway there right now from what I hear.   Anyway, something to look forward to!   Thanks Dennis for passing this along.  TB 

Well, Tom’s a pretty chill guy and I’m a familiar face as I’ve been going there on the regular for 15 years. I mentioned the extra parts in the ‘64 and that’s when he freely said there will be a street machine version and a factory stock ‘65. I think we all figured as much. I also commended him on fixing the proportions of the top (which he said wasn’t cheap considering the tool was basically production ready) and he told me he was grateful for the feedback in the other thread of yours. I told him it’s unfortunate that the conversation devolved like it did and he said it didn’t bother him at all. He wanted brutal honesty. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Some time ago (think it was last summer or early fall), someone briefly posted test shot pics, including the street machine parts.  Main thing I remember is a cowl induction hood.  They showed 3 body shells: the 2-door sedan and a pair of hardtops.

I made the assumption that the hardtop bodies were different, but I may be mistaken.  At the time I didn't review the pictures in detail because I was short on time, and assumed they would be posted everywhere.  Think they must have been taken down pretty quickly.

Was just watching HPIGuy Chris' build of this kit. Looks good, but (like the AMT/Ertl '67 Mustang) it appears to have a power steering ram cylinder, but no power steering pump. C'mon model companies, do a little research please. Or hire me as a consultant to help with this kind of thing.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 9:41 PM, Robberbaron said:

Some time ago (think it was last summer or early fall), someone briefly posted test shot pics, including the street machine parts.  Main thing I remember is a cowl induction hood.  They showed 3 body shells: the 2-door sedan and a pair of hardtops.

I made the assumption that the hardtop bodies were different, but I may be mistaken.  At the time I didn't review the pictures in detail because I was short on time, and assumed they would be posted everywhere.  Think they must have been taken down pretty quickly.

On 9/22/2022 at 10:58 AM, casassa said:

Here are pix of some builds Dave Metzner had on the Moebius table at the HMCA show in May. 

DSCN5546.JPG

DSCN5549.JPG

Thanks for posting the pictures, Jim.  There's the third body variation and the cowl hood that I recall seeing in the "leaked" photos.  Aside from the hood and the rally wheels, I wonder what the other differences/additions are?  I can't recall if the stock '64 included that mesh air cleaner (I know it had several sets of valve covers).

Regarding the '65 SS hardtop, I believe this will be the first time that Moebius has kitted a subject that was released previously by a different manufacturer, although I believe the stock '65 AMT was only a Craftsman kit (curbside).  And, of course, it got butchered into the altered wheelbase "Rat Packer" long ago.

15 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Thanks for posting the pictures, Jim.  There's the third body variation and the cowl hood that I recall seeing in the "leaked" photos.  Aside from the hood and the rally wheels, I wonder what the other differences/additions are?  I can't recall if the stock '64 included that mesh air cleaner (I know it had several sets of valve covers).

Regarding the '65 SS hardtop, I believe this will be the first time that Moebius has kitted a subject that was released previously by a different manufacturer, although I believe the stock '65 AMT was only a Craftsman kit (curbside).  And, of course, it got butchered into the altered wheelbase "Rat Packer" long ago.

Robert, good question!  For one, there is an entirely different street exhaust system, most of which can be already found among the extra (unused) parts in the '63 Nova SS kit...If I am remembering correctly (check the link to the pix at the beginning of this thread) I recall a separate set of cylinder heads as well.....TB 

Edited by tim boyd