Model Cars Magazine Forum

What You Find At Goodwill Stores

OldTrucker

I used to frequent the Lincoln Heights store north of downtown L.A., which sometimes got movie/TV studio donations. Among the goodies I picked up back in the day:

• Several UCLA and one University of Washington basketball uniforms, left over from filming the movie The 6th Man  
  • VHS tapes with dailies and second unit footage from movies like Iron Will (months before it came out) and The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, plus a gag/outtake reel from the Fame TV show
  • VHS dailies of a scene from The Island of Dr. Moreau, in which all of Marlon Brando's lines are being read to him by someone off camera; he just repeats them (unfortunately I think this was lost in a move)
  • Something cool but also a mystery: a Rolodex full of old celebrity addresses and phone numbers dating to around maybe 1972 at the latest. Whose Rolodex it was I've never figured out, although there are a lot of New York City numbers - and two cards with numbers noted "King Peter's Doctor" and "King Peter's Lawyer". I'm guessing the owner may have been a columnist or press/booking agent?
  • Like 2

This could be a dangerous topic...😬🤫

Some of my finds over the last few months :

1436083375_PXL_20220302_2347154012.thumb.jpg.30a5852e30e5e84698018b8bb1845746.jpg

Found a Sony Betamax player a few months ago, and a Marantz record player, but most of my purchases lean toward practical. I'm huge proponent of re-using instead of buying new, so, Goodwill suits me just fine.

Game used goalie stick from Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jason Elliott.  Got it autographed in person when he was with their AHL affiliate.

Radio promo CD two pack of Sammy Kershaw Feelin' Good Train 

Rarely stop in there anymore as most of the items at the ones in my area are more expensive than buying new at Wally World

Edited by HomerS

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Found a Sony Betamax player a few months ago, and a Marantz record player, but most of my purchases lean toward practical. I'm huge proponent of re-using instead of buying new, so, Goodwill suits me just fine.

Casey, do you actually use that video player?  I have a Betamax Time Life Video "The Kinks, One For the Road" tape in the original box from 1980.  It was a freebie (leftover at a flea market at the end of the day). The box is a beat up, but the tape cassette looks to be in good condition.  I couldn't resist picking it up (the price was right) as I never seen a Betamax tape, but I have no way to play it (I have a VHS unit).

Anyway, if you want it, PM me and I can mail it to you (I'll ask you to cover the postage).

Edited by peteski

54 minutes ago, peteski said:

Casey, do you actually use that video player? 

No, I only bought it to flip it eventually. I'd like to find a remote for it first, but doesn't seem likely to happen.

I have a friend who has a few Betamax tapes, but thanks for the offer. Had it been Spinal Tap, I might've taken you up on the offer. 😁

I used to go there on a whim. Always find something useful for model building. Now prices for used stuff are the same if not more for a new item.(example is used folk art paint, 1.20 at wall mart 1.99 at goodwill) The good stuff is picked out in my area by Goodwill and put on their auction site.( Brings more $$$$) I have seen and have won some models on the auction site. Prices are fair.  Good luck hunting guys!

I find all kinds of crazy stuff at my local thrift shop. I mostly go there for typewriters, vinyl LP's and VHS tapes. Found a few model kits and tons of loose Lego bricks. Just recently I found a really nice Yamaha steel string acoustic guitar with case for $24.99. 

I've found old Thomas Bros Guides (1969 L.A. & O.C. , 1973 L.A. & O.C.) which is something I collect (oldest I have is 1957 L.A. & O.C.) .

Two of the best scores were (1.) Renauld Spectaculars sunglasses from c.1965. Grey-green lenses with silver frames. I gave $5.00 for them... lost 'em at a party months later. (2.) Brand new suede Hushpuppies slip-ons, in my shoe size. Those were $50.00 shoes back then -- I gave $2.00 for them.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:52 PM, Casey said:

This could be a dangerous topic...😬🤫

Some of my finds over the last few months :

1436083375_PXL_20220302_2347154012.thumb.jpg.30a5852e30e5e84698018b8bb1845746.jpg

Practical eh? Whatcha gonna do with that Mercedes emblem, hang it around your neck? 😎

Occasionally I find model kits at thrift stores, but not as much as I used to. Today there was a 4x4 "Quadzilla" monster truck, but I had to pass on it. $9.99 and it was missing about half the parts!

A few years ago I acquired a center console for a 69-70 Impala for $15. Hung that on my wall!

While back, I found a 60s Mattel VacUform toy in pristine shape in the original box for $3.98!

Another time I got a Monogram 1/8 Jaguar XKE for $5. Missing the engine. At the time, I didn't know where I was going to get another engine so I sold it. This was before ebay.

Back in the 80s and 90s, I used to be able to find model kits practically everytime I want in to this one store I used to haunt. Paid anywhere from .49 cents to $4. It was feast time back then!

My wife and I (selectively) buy a lot of stuff at the Goodwill.  All of her cookware is the Revereware copper-bottom pots & pans, made in USA.  She used my 3M headlight polishing air tools to remove years of tarnish and now she shines them every time she uses them.  We've also occasionally found old US made cast iron skillets.  Lamps, furniture, tools (cherry picking made in USA), recently a key cabinet, clothes.  I picked up cross country skis and boots, snow shoes, a winter coat.  My wife finds cut crystal glassware.  Movies, vintage (~1960s) sewing machine, vintage stereo equipment, vintage small appliances (the ones mom bought and kept for a lifetime), complete movie/surround-sound system witn 4 subwoofers... lots of stuff, too much to think of or list.  A lot of what we buy is our best attempt to avoid buying anything new from China.  We have a Goodwill in town that's on the way home from work.  I am noticing though that less and less of the good stuff is ending up on the shelves.  Donors are lined up to the street but the shelves aren't full.  A lot is going online and that's too bad.  And prices are starting to get ridiculous.

55 minutes ago, Casey said:

It's actually a paperweight from Keeler M-B, in Grand Rapids(?), MI.

Well that explains it. I thought it was an actual emblem from a car.

28 minutes ago, Kromolly said:

A lot is going online and that's too bad.  And prices are starting to get ridiculous.

Pretty soon even brick and mortar Thrift Stores will be going the way of Local Hobby Shops.

Online only.

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Did you buy those? The Cougar Eliminator is really desirable! Wonder if it was a Boss 302.

Don't I wish :rolleyes:. This was in Palm Desert, CA a couple weeks ago; the '75 Buick LeSabre convertible sold for $6000 - body, top and interior were OK but the 350 engine was a rat-eaten mess. The '69 Cougar Eliminator was a one-of-101 former Hertz Sports Car Club rental; all of those had a 351/FMX combo and sunroof. A bit worn but only 23k miles;  they were asking $40,000 and it sold for $35k.

I have never been able to find model kits when I go, either bad timing or just not getting donated to Goodwill. Last Fall I was looking for a 2 drawer file cabinet for my office and a new, cheaply made one was $129.00 at Staples. They had a better quality one that is more like what you would expect in an office but it was $199.00. My wife has a friend who is hard core Goodwill shopper (long story) and told her to keep an eye out for one. Two days later she called and said the one nearest us had one for $1.99! A little scuffed but was well built and works great!

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Well that explains it. I thought it was an actual emblem from a car.

Pretty soon even brick and mortar Thrift Stores will be going the way of Local Hobby Shops.

Online only.

I agree, I am seeing the decline in nice available stuff at Goodwill and other thrift stores.  It's hard to imagine that with all of the shipping and extra handling, time & labor to list, etc. that the thrift stores are making anything more than if they just sold the stuff in the store.  The other sad thing is that they will look to see what someone is LISTING an item for on ebay and then price and item accordingly.  The internet has all but ruined the good deal at thrift stores.  But once in a while I'll still find a good score.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

I have never been able to find model kits when I go, either bad timing or just not getting donated to Goodwill. Last Fall I was looking for a 2 drawer file cabinet for my office and a new, cheaply made one was $129.00 at Staples. They had a better quality one that is more like what you would expect in an office but it was $199.00. My wife has a friend who is hard core Goodwill shopper (long story) and told her to keep an eye out for one. Two days later she called and said the one nearest us had one for $1.99! A little scuffed but was well built and works great!

Not too many years ago I would find model kits at reasonable prices.  Not anymore.  The rare times I see a kit it's typically been started, may or may not be complete, and it's overpriced.

There's a lot if luck involved, honestly. You only judge the selection based upon the one hour per week you spend inside the store, so who's to say what came and went the rest of the time?

Here's another, better shot of the paperweight, as well as a few other things which caught my eyes:

1941289010_PXL_20220306_1552363672.jpg.907ac6206a547ac88abc80f26d990a92.jpg

587497304_PXL_20220306_1552397452.jpg.45f4b6ed9ec26ca878e97606450729c3.jpg

1450585917_PXL_20220306_1553269502.jpg.46cde35a08d586eeb8cb46a46dd5353b.jpg

631414959_PXL_20220306_1553306402.thumb.jpg.9f1e22d4861499a94996aa603da7e14f.jpg

906768661_PXL_20220306_1553405882.thumb.jpg.8fa210cabfe48645d5cda9235583ea10.jpg

423102330_PXL_20220306_1553593792.jpg.cf6c22b3f5f4a0dc9c635b1793b72391.jpg

This was a timely find😁:

1256491742_PXL_20220306_1554509132.thumb.jpg.bd89c2b64786fb82e2fc2d81c00d41b5.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

If we're talking specifically about Goodwill, I've gotten a few scores there... more in previous years than recently. I found the console below for $40 in the local Goodwill. It's Danish teak from the mid 60s, built by cabinet maker Poul Hundevad. These go for $1500+ in worse condition than this one.

786827417_PXL_20220306_1700491543.thumb.jpg.41ea7da3e3014e1dfc1803cd7eaac683.jpg

The lamp is a rare chalkware piece from Jo Wallis. I haven't seen another one like it to date it. It was painted with gloopy black enamel when I found it. I repainted it in a more appropriate finish.

PXL_20220306_170151784.thumb.jpg.097d1fd82eb5e3fd6dbee619ac774e63.jpg

The painting below was actually found by a buddy of mine who had it for a few years before his girlfriend banished it from the house. He paid $15 for it. It has pride of place in my entry way now.

PXL_20220306_170217182.thumb.jpg.8c174c94d8d5e00536c921ef077b94cd.jpg

I tend to haunt local thrift places and antique stores as well as checking out those types of stores when I'm traveling in the area. Most of my wood furniture is mid-century pieces that I've bought cheap and restored. It's so much better built and beautifully designed than the new stuff.

• Like 2

I swear to God - back in the early eighties  -  when Pocher went belly up - some of their kits ended up on goodwill store shelves - I bought a Rolls Royce Sedanca kit from the South Miami store for a silly price - silly low - and built that

sucker. - it still sits in a display case in my office …