Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 3-in-1 Ford F-100 Pickup Truck

On 2/3/2024 at 8:08 PM, stavanzer said:

And, the Build.

Chris has it.

I usually bounce through each episode and I think he's never built anything more beautiful, better actually.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 11:19 AM, TarheelRick said:

Really getting antsy for my hands on these kits.  Any further updates to release?

Hobby shop here in Ontario, Canada has announced today that they received their shipment of 60 & 63 pickups today.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:08 PM, peter31a said:

Hobby shop here in Ontario, Canada has announced today that they received their shipment of 60 & 63 pickups today.

Unfortunately, I have no local hobby shops, only Hobby Lobby so I will have to peruse the internet for sales.

9 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Unfortunately, I have no local hobby shops, only Hobby Lobby so I will have to peruse the internet for sales.

I am in Charlotte and suffer the same fate. I have made Wes's Model Car Corner my go to shop for new issues like this. He's near Johnson City TN and it usually is a next day or 2 day ship time, depending on how fast the trucks are running.

Here is the link:

https://wesmodelcarcorner.myshopify.com/

He also has a FB page and posts information on it regularly as well as nearly every week he has a live show on Thursday nights where he opens up new releases and shows what is in the box as well as shares news and updates on kits and what is in the pipeline.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stavanzer said:

And, Chris has the Build on This one, Too!

Not that we really care about these things, but this is actually the second - not first - build of the kit.  The first one showed up on the FineScale website on January 23....just 'sayin....TB 

image.png.95d882a80faa9fecf397279b0c9355f1.png

AMT 1963 F100 Camper QuickBuild and Kit Review album | Funman1712 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I'm sorry, Tim.

You were indeed first.

Alan...we're cool.  My comment was in response to wording of the title HPI Guy chose for his video.  Of course, his included paint fading and rust applied to the kit, so those were indeed firsts.  Just not the build itself.  Best....TB 

• Like 2

The difficulty getting the wheels into the tires is an issue created by the manufactures of the new kits. Who in their infinite wisdom thought that this is a good idea? What was wrong with the two piece wheels? I recently built the Moebius Nova SS with this type of wheel and managed to scrape up the tire sidewalls. 

15 hours ago, Oldriginal86 said:

The difficulty getting the wheels into the tires is an issue created by the manufactures of the new kits. Who in their infinite wisdom thought that this is a good idea? What was wrong with the two piece wheels? I recently built the Moebius Nova SS with this type of wheel and managed to scrape up the tire sidewalls. 

Think the MO comes from diecast design, where it’s important that the tires won’t detach from the wheels when playing.

just do as Chris said on his YouTube channel HPIguys and cut the ribs from the rims.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:03 AM, Motor City said:

Is it just me or would the cream truck look better with blackwalls and the hubcaps?  I think the whitewalls look good on the red truck with chromed wheels.

It could indeed...there's five total wheel choices in this kit and double sided (whitewall/blackwall) tires, for a total of ten choices not including paint colors for the steelies.  You can see the plated chromed reverse wheels in the HPI video; here's the slot mags with blackwalls from my earlier build completion...

image.png.3ff4f23614cc8038210ff7859a1ec570.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads-up if that you are building a factory stock 1963 F100, the rear vertical moldings of the vent windows are black, not plated.  Likewise, the roof drip rail is body color, not plated. 

There is not as much reference material as usual regarding 1963 F100 Custom Cab interiors, and the 1963 Ford truck brochures show illustrations rather than actual vehicle images, but to the best of my ability this shows the correct paint layout for Custom Cab F100s that year.  Most of the interior is gray, with the exterior body color being applied to portions of the door panels and the lower section of the instrument panel as in the image below.   The door armrests are black. In the case of bodies painted 1963 Ford Rangoon Red, some of the interiors apparently wore the Corinthian White accent panels instead of red, but I would not stake a strong bet on that being definitive/covers all guidance.  I welcome any further guidance anyone can add here. 

The engraved section of the seatback and seat bottom wore a very fine multi-color horizontal pinstriped appearance which I did not attempt to replicate but would be an easy subject for an aftermarket decal or to be included on the decal sheet of the next version of the AMT 1963 F100 kit to be produced at some point in the future.  

Finally, the 1/1 Custom Cabs for 1963 included the upper body side molding that is so nicely engraved on the new Round 2 tool (it was a disaster in the original 1963 annual kit), and that molding featured a contrasting paint color insert.  Given the quick turnaround timing of my project I did not attempt to add that insert this time around, but I certainly will on a follow-up project later.  For the 1963 Corinthian White exterior, the 1/1 insert was bright red.   

Hope this info helps those of you building product-correct factory stock, or aged/patinaed originally factory stock models. 

Best...TB 

image.png.f84174fb4ad8e947eb0c5320d560d539.png

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Just a heads-up if that you are building a factory stock 1963 F100, the rear vertical moldings of the vent windows are black, not plated.  Likewise, the roof drip rail is body color, not plated. 

There is not as much reference material as usual regarding 1963 F100 Custom Cab interiors, and the 1963 Ford truck brochures show illustrations rather than actual vehicle images, but to the best of my ability this shows the correct paint layout for Custom Cab F100s that year.  Most of the interior is gray, with the exterior body color being applied to portions of the door panels and the lower section of the instrument panel as in the image below.   The door armrests are black. In the case of bodies painted 1963 Ford Rangoon Red, some of the interiors apparently wore the Corinthian White accent panels instead of red, but I would not stake a strong bet on that being definitive/covers all guidance.  I welcome any further guidance anyone can add here. 

The engraved section of the seatback and seat bottom wore a very fine multi-color horizontal pinstriped appearance which I did not attempt to replicate but would be an easy subject for an aftermarket decal or to be included on the decal sheet of the next version of the AMT 1963 F100 kit to be produced at some point in the future.  

Finally, the 1/1 Custom Cabs for 1963 included the upper body side molding that is so nicely engraved on the new Round 2 tool (it was a disaster in the original 1963 annual kit), and that molding featured a contrasting paint color insert.  Given the quick turnaround timing of my project I did not attempt to add that insert this time around, but I certainly will on a follow-up project later.  For the 1963 Corinthian White exterior, the 1/1 insert was bright red.   

Hope this info helps those of you building product-correct factory stock, or aged/patinaed originally factory stock models. 

Best...TB 

Thank you Tim, for all the information.  I do appreciate it!

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Best...TB 

Thanks for the info Tim! Just printed it for future reference.

Cheers

Luc

On 2/10/2024 at 1:37 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

IMHO, this is a needless Own Goal for Round2. They've never done this in kits before. Only Moebuis does it, and It is not a popular feature for them.

Combined with too stiff tires, and you have more time spent getting acceptable wheels than you really need to invest.

I hope this is not the start of a trend.

It is not a show stopper for sure, but why needlessly complicate a pretty simple process.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

I've read somewhere (lost track where) to warm up the tires some to soften them prior to wrestling them onto the rims.

Steve Goldman of Round 2 has suggested doing this.

Whether or not you do this, or mostly trim the wheel flanges with a sprue cutter as I did, to avoid damaging the tampo printing always insert the wheels from behind the outward face of the tire.  Doing it the other way will almost surely damage the tampo printing, and also may leave unsightly marks where the tire sidewall bent to accommodate inserting the wheel....TB  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Steve Goldman of Round 2 has suggested doing this.

Whether or not you do this, or mostly trim the wheel flanges with a sprue cutter as I did, to avoid damaging the tampo printing always insert the wheels from behind the outward face of the tire.  Doing it the other way will almost surely damage the tampo printing, and also may leave unsightly marks where the tire sidewall bent to accommodate inserting the wheel....TB  

Thanks Tim for your tips.  

On 2/11/2024 at 12:50 PM, tim boyd said:

There is not as much reference material as usual regarding 1963 F100 Custom Cab interiors, and the 1963 Ford truck brochures show illustrations rather than actual vehicle images...

You may be thinking of the standard gray GM truck interiors, Tim. It's true that these '61-'66 F100 series trucks had some gray accents, notably the cardboard headliner pieces and seat upholstery( some years), but the interiors were thoroughly painted in primary body color all the way through. The custom cabs had the extra white accents on the dash and doors. The only time the dash top changed to other than body color was with the optional black dash pad.

'63 base cab with non-original upholstery and speaker grill.

61ubf1int.jpg.5ba59a78a5ebab1f28595d123c50c289.jpg

'64 custom cab with original seat. I've looked everywhere and haven't come up with a preserved original '63 seat pic yet.

64f1cc4xint.webp.8eae33d36287794f9b4375ad7baddf0e.webp

Edited by mk11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mk11 said:

You may be thinking of the standard gray GM truck interiors, Tim. It's true that these '61-'66 F100 series trucks had some gray accents, notably the cardboard headliner pieces and seat upholstery( some years), but the interiors were thoroughly painted in primary body color all the way through. The custom cabs had the extra white accents on the dash and doors. The only time the dash top changed to other than body color was with the optional black dash pad.

Mike...thanks for your input on this.  Not too surprisingly, I suppose, this conflicts directly with the sources I referenced that said the primary interior color on 1963 F-Series pickups specifically was gray.  Your info certainly suggests that my info above is a far from settled topic and that more research is needed before we can come up with a definitive answer. 

Thanks again for the info and update...much appreciated.  TB    

• Like 1