Model Cars Magazine Forum

Still no Poyglas or Wide Oval tire kits.

Mike C.

There are two new packs coming, a tire and wheel pack and a tire pack. AMTPP033 will be the Wire Wheel and Whitewalls set and will include 4 Firestone classic wide whitewalls with 5 K-H style wheels and center caps.  The extra wheel is for use in a Continental kit. It will even have a center cap decal set with 5 or 6 choices.  It should be out in the next month or so.  These wheels will also included in the upcoming 66 T-bird kit but you only get 4. 

AMTPP034 will be a set of big and little Firestone Wide Ovals (4 of each) It will be similar to the Polyglas GT set, but we can no longer do that one due to licensing issues with the Polyglas name.  No release yet for that one.

I would love to do some other tire packs, but we don't have the licensing for any other brands right now. 

-Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

There are two new packs coming, a tire and wheel pack and a tire pack. AMTPP033 will be the Wire Wheel and Whitewalls set and will include 4 Firestone classic wide whitewalls with 5 K-H style wheels and center caps.  The extra wheel is for use in a Continental kit. It will even have a center cap decal set with 5 or 6 choices.  It should be out in the next month or so.  These wheels will also included in the upcoming 66 T-bird kit but you only get 4. 

Do you have a picture of these K-H wheels?

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

AMTPP034 will be a set of big and little Firestone Wide Ovals (4 of each) It will be similar to the Polyglas GT set, but we can no longer do that one due to licensing issues with the Polyglas name.  No release yet for that one.

I would love to do some other tire packs, but we don't have the licensing for any other brands right now. 

-Steve

Steve....really glad to hear the wide oval bigs'n'littles are coming back....and thanks for figuring out the workaround (Firestone branding) given Goodyear's odd licensing hangup on the parts packs....TB 

4 hours ago, SteveG said:

What about some white letter tires for the Day 2 look? You know, once you had burned off the factory set, you would go down to the parts store and get whatever house brand they had. Some Coopers or Kellys or whatever other brand was popular. I would love to have some Canadian Tire Tornadoes, but I know that's a real niche market!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

What about some white letter tires for the Day 2 look? You know, once you had burned off the factory set, you would go down to the parts store and get whatever house brand they had. Some Coopers or Kellys or whatever other brand was popular. I would love to have some Canadian Tire Tornadoes, but I know that's a real niche market!

Dunno, it could all boil down how much they want for using their name and logo's. 

4 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Do you have a picture of these K-H wheels?

No photos handy, but outwardly they look the same as the wire wheels in the newer tool AMT 1962 T-bird.  The difference is that they are designed to be a drop in fit with the AMT annual kit style wheel backs and tires.  Seasoned modelers will find lots of other uses for them, I'm sure.

-Steve 

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

One could argue that the Polyglas and Wide Ovals are just this for pre-1971 cars.

49 minutes ago, Rodent said:

One could argue that the Polyglas and Wide Ovals are just this for pre-1971 cars.

GoodYear Polyglas OWL tires were available all the way until 1981. I know, because my dad put some clearanced ones on his Ranchero back in '82 and they are still in it to this day. They're hard as a rock and the truck is in my garage. 

OEM for 1975 were the same tires!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

21 hours ago, SteveG said:

It will be similar to the Polyglas GT set, but we can no longer do that one due to licensing issues with the Polyglas name.  No release yet for that one.

So, Right from the Horse's Mouth, No More Polyglas Tires, at least until Round2 can sort out the proper permissions. And, no word on is Round2 will be seeking those permits or even if they want to. 

But, the good news is, Round2 IS going to be releasing 'branded tires', just not the ones they had last time. So, a win for all of us! I am happy to see them responding to the market. They DO listen to us, but it does take time for them to respond and produce new product to satisfy our requests. However, this might explain the change in the printing on the tires in newer boxings of the Ex-MPC 68 Camaro kit that was reported by somebody recently. The change in licensing changed the tires that are put in newer issues of the kit.

Thanks, Steve, for sharing the answers to some of our tire questions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

I would love to have some Canadian Tire Tornadoes, but I know that's a real niche market!

YES!! We know it would never happen, but man, I would LOVE some Tornado 60s and Tornado 70s. May as well just make the 60s without tread, since almost every one you saw on the back of a muscle car was reduced to puddin' skins.

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Steve, are the Wide Ovals the hollow tires or the solid tires from the Baldwin Motion Camaro kit?

Same big and little hollow tires as the Polyglas tire set, just "rebranded" as Firestone Wide Ovals.  Also, you can look forward to some unique sidewall treatments on future kits.  The upcoming Monkeemobile will have the same big and little tires "rebranded" again this time as Goodyear Blue Streaks.  

-Steve

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Same big and little hollow tires as the Polyglas tire set, just "rebranded" as Firestone Wide Ovals.  Also, you can look forward to some unique sidewall treatments on future kits.  The upcoming Monkeemobile will have the same big and little tires "rebranded" again this time as Goodyear Blue Streaks.  

-Steve

The advantage of padprinting arming you as a company, against capricious licensors ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If it is any help, 4 of the 12 tires in AMT’s 1962 Pontiac Polyglas Gasser II kit are white-lettered big and little polyglas tires. (There are also 4 stock and 4 red pinstripe tires).

Edited by Sean H
added info