Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1965 Pontiac

AMT68

Built from the 2004 reissue of the 1/25 scale 1965 Pontiac 2+2 and painted in Dupli-Color Toreador Red. Clear is Rust-Oleum in the green label can. I picked up a couple of these kits a few years back when I started building models after a long hiatus. At the time I didn't realize they were a rebadged Bonneville and not a true 2+2 body. While I've acquired a few Bonneville kits since then, not building this one was never an option because I find the body style far too attractive. So, I sanded off the 2+2 identification but still used the kits interior. That's why the title description is Pontiac and not a specific model. Funny thing is I actually like the look of the sides minus the scripts and may very well sand off the Bonneville emblems on my unbuilt kits. This was my first attempt at using styrene strips (.015x.030) to wrap a vinyl top area and .035 rods around the rear wheel openings to eliminate the skirts. Overall, I mostly satisfied, but when I look at the some of the close-up pictures, I can see room for improvement.

DSC_3813 - Copy.JPG

DSC_3767 - Copy.JPG

DSC_3766 - Copy.JPG

DSC_3855 - Copy.JPG

DSC_3811 - Copy.JPG

Edited by AMT68
  • Like 7

Great looking paint finish and the color shows the body lines well. The factory 8 lug wheels were the best-looking factory wheels from this era. The trim you added, often is best done on the bare plastic and allow the primer to fill any mini gaps.  

21 hours ago, oldscool said:

Beautiful! That is one of the best body designs from the 60's.

13 hours ago, charger74 said:

Very Nice 👌🏻

12 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

beautiful!

12 hours ago, DanL said:

beautiful...

Thank you Gerald, Eric, Ken and Dan.

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Very nice! That color looks perfect on it!

10 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Beautiful lines on that car, and fantastic color combo. Well done!

10 hours ago, bondo bill said:

very sharp build

5 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Beautifully done!  😎

Thank you Roger, EMRE, Bill and Harry.

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Excellent color choice, detail work and assembly, all beautifully done!

David G.

Thanks David G.

12 hours ago, Kah puts said:

That looks beautiful, I should know I've owned two of them ( 1/1 scale), your color selection is outstanding, bravo. 

Thanks Glen. It's definitely a classic I'd like to own on a 1:1 scale.

10 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Sharp car and model! Very tasty color scheme. Well done.

Thanks Rusty.

21 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking paint finish and the color shows the body lines well. The factory 8 lug wheels were the best-looking factory wheels from this era. The trim you added, often is best done on the bare plastic and allow the primer to fill any mini gaps.  

Thanks David. Yeah, there are a couple of gaps but some in the foil which I could easily touch up with chrome pen. There is a small gap in the wheel well molding that I needed to miter to better blend with the lower body side moldings. But I'll keep working on improving.  

1 hour ago, happy grumpy said:

That's a beautiful build Tom. From where I sit. You nailed it. As I often say, I'll take realism over accuracy any day. Your build looks great.

Thank you Mario. I enjoy taking a little creative license with my builds. 

9 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Beeeee-u-tiful!!!!👌

8 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Awesome paint work, very nice build !! 👍😀

4 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Sweet! I love that paint job!👍

Thanks Mike, Phillipe and Greg. I spend quite a bit of time wet sanding out the clear on my cars. 

3 hours ago, rsmodels said:

I like the old Pontiacs and you did a superb job on this one. The top looks great and the color contrast between the body, roof, and  interior looks fantastic.  

Thanks Rich. I always felt the '65 was the best-looking full-size Pontiacs of the '60's.