Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1955, Powell pickup

The Atomic City Jo-Han booth was quite nice.  I took a couple pics.  I have no idea if this Jo-Han has any connection to Okay’s Jo-Han.  They had T-shirts, 3D printed parts and other merch.  Had a neat Jo-Han factory front diorama.    They have more pics on their FB page.. https://www.facebook.com/AtomicCityModelCars/

IMG_0866.jpeg

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The Atomic City Jo-Han booth was quite nice.  I took a couple pics.  I have no idea if this Jo-Han has any connection to Okay’s Jo-Han.  They had T-shirts, 3D printed parts and other merch.  Had a neat Jo-Han factory front diorama.    They have more pics on their FB page.. https://www.facebook.com/AtomicCityModelCars/

IMG_0866.jpeg

This is a completely different entity than Okey's adventure. If you're ever in Dayton, OH the Atomic City shop is a very cool place to visit. 

4 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

This is a completely different entity than Okey's adventure. If you're ever in Dayton, OH the Atomic City shop is a very cool place to visit. 

That's what I thought..I'd like to visit sometime (over 6 hrs round trip across the state, though). 

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, Chuck Most said:

Isn't that Atomic City guy the one who's recently made claims he has the rights to the Johan name?

He in fact does own the rights to Johan USA, Oldies LLC. No connection to Okey what so ever. https://www.facebook.com/AtomicCityModelCars/

sells in the store & online...

atomic city rod.jpg

Edited by thatz4u

• 2 months later...

So, 2 months later.

Nothing from Okey on the Powell, Nothing From Atomic City & Nothing from Anybody else.

It looks like all of this was just Vaporware.

Moebius is still producing things (albeit much more slowly than the market wants), Round2 is still showing new things and seems to have finally gotten the shipping delays for the new stuff ironed out and Atlantis may have some new Jim Keeler inspired Hot Rod kits out before 2025. We wait for Revell to share any details about the "Stranger Things" kits, but by the time Revell gets around to actually releasing any kits, the show will be over, and the 'buzz' they hoped to profit from will be over. Typical of most Model Companies over the last 50 years.

So far, at least, Round2 stands Head & Shoulders above the others, just by having some new kits promised every month, even is shipping dates get a bit extended. Whoever (or Whatever) is running (or ruining) Revell now, seems to be firmly stuck in the 1990's, so the company moves awfully slowly, by modern standards. I think they are leaving an enormous amount of money on the table by not running some fairly recent tools right now. The '32 Fords {all of them} need to be in the catalogue at once. The Starsky & Hutch and the stock Torino both have vanished from H.L. and the 64-65-66 Chevy Suburban has gone away too. There are other recent tools that are probably in demand too, and the Whole '29-'30 Ford Coupe/Roadster debacle is yet another mistep for a company that his been in Deep Kimshi since the Hobbico disaster. I really hope Revell can get their Mojo back but the VC firm running things appears to have just given up on everything that is not Europe..........

Which is fine if you are in Europe.

Anywau. I wish to build the Powell when it comes out. I hope the guys from Atomic City have not bitten off more than they can chew. (Maybe they have atomic ache) At least they are trusted names in the hobby. Maybe we'll see new Dodge and Chevy pickups from the companies that have teased those subjects. But, for now, if it isn't Round2, I am not holding my breath waiting for news.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stavanzer said:

So, 2 months later.

Nothing from Okey on the Powell, Nothing From Atomic City & Nothing from Anybody else.

Moebius is still producing things (albeit much more slowly than the market wants), Round2 is still showing new things and seems to have finally gotten the shipping delays for the new stuff ironed out and Atlantis may have some new Jim Keeler inspired Hot Rod kits out before 2025. We wait for Revell to share any details about the "Stranger Things" kits, but by the time Revell gets around to actually releasing any kits, the show will be over, and the 'buzz' they hoped to profit from will be over. Typical of most Model Companies over the last 50 years.

So far, at least, Round2 stands Head & Shoulders above the others, just by having some new kits promised every month, even is shipping dates get a bit extended. Whoever (or Whatever) is running (or ruining) Revell now, seems to be firmly stuck in the 1990's, so the company moves awfully slowly, by modern standards. I think they are leaving an enormous amount of money on the table by not running some fairly recent tools right now. The '32 Fords {all of them} need to be in the catalogue at once. The Starsky & Hutch and the stock Torino both have vanished from H.L. and the 64-65-66 Chevy Suburban has gone away too. There are other recent tools that are probably in demand too, and the Whole '29-'30 Ford Coupe/Roadster debacle is yet another mistep for a company that his been in Deep Kimshi since the Hobbico disaster. I really hope Revell can get their Mojo back but the VC firm running things appears to have just given up on everything that is not Europe..........

Anywau. I wish to build the Powell when it comes out. I hope the guys from Atomic City have not bitten off more than they can chew. (Maybe they have atomic ache) At least they are trusted names in the hobby. Maybe we'll see new Dodge and Chevy pickups from the companies that have teased those subjects. But, for now, if it isn't Round2, I am not holding my breath waiting for news.

Round2 is cranking out stuff at a pace never seen before, so....maybe good that the competition is moving at a slower pace, my wallet definitely agrees ;)

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:33 PM, stavanzer said:

So, 2 months later.

What do the guys at faux-JoHan Part Duex have to do with the Powell? That was an Okey Spaulding creation and plan and those two entities don't have anything to do with each other.

I'm not going to do a line item reply here, but I'll just point out the '29 and '30 Ford were reissued 4 and 3 years ago respectively which is well after the Hobbico bankruptcy. What else do you want Revell to do about those? The Stranger Things kit...did you expect them to release the kits within 3 months of showing them at a trade show? Because until the Revell Home Office debuted them publicly on New Years Day, they technically weren't announced yet. We just knew because someone at the New York Toy Show "smuggled out" pictures. That event (much like the German Toy Faire) isn't open to the public. 

Edited by niteowl7710

13 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

We just knew because someone at the New York Toy Show "smuggled out" pictures. That event (much like the German Toy Faire) isn't open to the public. 

Unless they take your cell phone when you walk into the show nothing was smuggled out. Anything on a table or picture shared on the net is ment to be shown. Social media is the cheapest form of advertising you can get. We are all creatures of habit and they know it. 

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

What do the guys at faux-JoHan Part Duex have to do with the Powell? That was an Okey Spaulding creation and plan and those two entities don't have anything to do with each other.

I'm not going to do a line item reply here, but I'll just point out the '29 and '30 Ford were reissued 4 and 3 years ago respectively which is well after the Hobbico bankruptcy. What else do you want Revell to do about those? The Stranger Things kit...did you expect them to release the kits within 3 months of showing them at a trade show? Because until the Revell Home Office debuted them publicly on New Years Day, they technically weren't announced yet. We just knew because someone at the New York Toy Show "smuggled out" pictures. That event (much like the German Toy Faire) isn't open to the public. 

To further the point on Revell....the '29A/'30A tooling was substantially damaged shortly after the ''30A first went into production in mid 2015.  It took a major effort (manpower, tooling resources, and funding) to redo the missing tooling for the reintroduction of those kits several years back.  While it took way too long (from my perspective as a hot rod kit builder) for the kits to return, the new Revell Germany team (and its US support arm) deserve major kudos for actually making it happen.  Likewise, the new Boss 351 kit is in my personal judgement clearly the best muscle car kit ever produced in 1/24th-1/25th scale.  Personally, I'd rather see fewer kits introduced from Revell, done really well, than a litany of new kits produced to a lower standard.  

As I think about it in broader terms, we as model car/truck builders are in a really good position right now.  We have Revell's new approach with the '71 Mustang and C8 Corvettes, we have Round 2 reintroducing old kit topics with simplified build processes and outstanding fit/finish refinements, we have Moebius producing long wished for topics from the first generation of muscle cars/missing 1960s era pickup and light duty trucks/and the golden age of 1960's-early 1970s drag racing, and finally have Atlantis reissuing ancient Revell/Monogram kit topics that sell for 1/5th of the price of the originals on the auction sites.  And not to mention (but to mention(!) the existing and relatively new overseas kitmakers producing JDM and international automotive/racing-rallying/exotics topics.  And further, the yet to be determined output of the new Ohio/Atomic group owners of the Jo-Han trademark.  

Yes, I'm an optimist, and perhaps overenthusiastic cheerleader for our hobby and its kitmakers, but this is my POV FWIW...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Unless they take your cell phone when you walk into the show nothing was smuggled out. Anything on a table or picture shared on the net is ment to be shown. Social media is the cheapest form of advertising you can get. We are all creatures of habit and they know it. 

I swear some people on this forum will argue about anything just to hear themselves type.

You know exactly what I meant and being pedantic about it is pointless. Revell didn't release those images, and you as John Q Public couldn't enter the facility to see anything in there.

8 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Yes, I'm an optimist, and perhaps overenthusiastic cheerleader for our hobby and its kitmakers, but this is my POV FWIW...TIM 

I'll go one further and say that social media in all of it's forms (including this forum) have allowed people who want to be informed, know about upcoming kits months (and occasionally more than a year) in advance. Pretty much everyone here is old enough to remember when kits just - POOF - magicly appeared in stores.  You might have an inkling if you subscribed to The BluePrinter, or sent regular SASEs to Hobby Heaven which always had upcoming kits as part of their mail order list. 

But now people don't get the kit THEY specifically want, on the time frame THEY feel is appropriate - well the entire enterprise is clearly a failure!

Revell released 13 kits *specifically* to the North American market in 2023...I guess one a month is pathetic when you compare it to Round2 meat and potatos of reissuing xyz 60s kit for the umpteenth time... 🙄

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:33 PM, stavanzer said:

I said:

#1, Nothing from Okey on the Powell,

#2 Nothing from Atomic City,

#3 & Nothing from Anybody Else.

Three Different Subjects. I did not confuse anything with anything else.

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The Stranger Things kit...did you expect them to release the kits within 3 months of showing them at a trade show?

No, I do not expect that. What I do expect, is exactly what seems to be happening. A Model Company (this time it is Revell) announces a New Product with a Pop Culture TV/Movie tie-in, just it time for that Pop Cultural Phenomena to be winding down or over. There is a 5th (and Final) Season supposedly coming in 2025, almost three years after Season 4. Not a great look for an audience that has a short attention span. I applaud Revell for recognizing the property and how it could drive sales. But I think they are outside the OODA Loop on this project. I really hope I am wrong. I want that '85 Blazer!   I remember buying "Dune" kits on clearance for several years after the movie vanished.

I will admit I am hard on Revell. You mention 13 kits? Were they all cars? How long did it take Round 2 to release 13 kits in 2023? Seems that there is a big market for the "xyz 60's kits) you mentioned.

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'll go one further and say that social media in all of it's forms (including this forum) have allowed people who want to be informed, know about upcoming kits months (and occasionally more than a year) in advance. Pretty much everyone here is old enough to remember when kits just - POOF - magicly appeared in stores.  You might have an inkling if you subscribed to The BluePrinter, or sent regular SASEs to Hobby Heaven which always had upcoming kits as part of their mail order list. 

And now the "Back in the Old Days" commentary...

It does not work when there are comments, about the price of kits, and how cheap they were 10/20/30/40/50 years ago. It also does not work when we compare the distribution of information 25 years into the 21st century......

Modern Systems are driving new pathways for the release on knowledge. You might not like it. Heck, I might not like it. Nonetheless, it IS how things work now. So, I expect that the  companies trying to do business in today's environment adapt to how things work now, and not use 30 year old business communication tactics. Round2 seems to have a much better grasp of this business reality than Revell does. Witness Chad, and the Monthly Round Up of Products. I am sure that this monthly video, is driving sales, and not just in America. Nothing is stopping Revell (or others) from doing the same thing. But Revell's outreach is not as dynamic as Round2, not as frequent or informative.

So you ask what I expect. That is what I expect. Something more geared to the world we live in today.

• Like 2