Model Cars Magazine Forum

Long term 1957 Buick Century Caballero Wagon

Ace-Garageguy

I fell in love with these massive road-crusher wagons, and started working on a way to model something like them. I'm also kinda thinking about going for a phantom 2-door with a Nomad-flavor raked rear gate.

Caballero! Buick's 1957-58 Luxury Station Wagon | Mac's Motor City Garage

57 Buick Century Custom Wagon! | Classic cars trucks, Buick wagon ...

I snagged the best '57 Century promo I could find, here compared to an AMT '58 body shell. The bumpers of the promo are styrene and have no warp or shrinkage, but the acetate body shrinkage is very obvious. Still pretty straight though.

DSCN7702.JPG.dcb24c2ef001a4afb5661814ca1a41e4.JPG

Body masked, prepped for molding one side in f'glass, holes clayed, coated with PVA mold release.

DSCN7705.thumb.JPG.e28db532952f2a912628632817d1b209.JPG

RH mold layup

DSCN7707.JPG.fb234342662dec5355ca53255f3bc87b.JPG

Popped off...

DSCN7720.JPG.f6e451864b73bddf24ab322f2d171dee.JPG

...and everything cleaned up, first mold trimmed.

DSCN7721.JPG.682a38bef330fb25ccf3d474e1ffe3f8.JPG

The plan, for now, is to copy individual panels and build them up on a cut-down '58 clone, adjusting dimensions as necessary. It's pretty obvious the '58 Century is very similar to the '57 under the skin, so I believe I'll only be doing what GM did, just backwards...and smaller. The '58 chassis is typical AMT period blobular, so a clone of it will get hacked into a more detailed representation.

The LH side is warped worse, so I'm going to be doing individual panels.

DSCN7871.JPG.cd4168e82e32fa646020ce05d9d5aee9.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
  • Like 3

• Ace-Garageguy changed the title to Long term 1957 Buick Century Caballero Wagon
On 12/18/2022 at 9:15 PM, NOBLNG said:

That is a beautiful wagon! Those older vehicles had so much more character than anything today.😎 I’ve never seen these tricks you’re using here so I’ll follow along.🙂

On 12/19/2022 at 4:47 PM, Bullybeef said:

I dig this idea, wagons from that era are so cool. Can’t wait to see some more work aka mock-up.

On 12/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, cobraman said:

Very interesting. I will be watching.

Thanks for the interest and comments, gennelmen. As I said, this will be a long term project, learning as I go, but based on successful techniques I've developed over the years.

For anyone interested, here are two threads that go into said techniques in some detail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

Lots of cool stuff going on with this build. Following this for sure. 

Welcome aboard.  :D

For what it's worth, the original plan was to find a Modelhaus '57 Buick to start with. They're out there, but usually cost several hundred dollars at least.

The mold for the Modelhaus '57 was obviously taken from an acetate promo, and careful analysis of every photo of one I could find online shows the acetate original had already started the warping, shrinking process when the Modelhaus molds were pulled.

A critical eye will see that there's a whooptee in the front fender, and it looks like the width is a tick narrow relative to the bumpers as well. These issues are consistent with the slightly more severe warping of my own acetate promo.

index.jpg.4cbc2406d918a468c028412187e3c013.jpg

With the price and rarity of the Modelhaus kit, which would still require substantial correction prior to making new molds, I elected to start with the best original acetate model I could find.

EDIT: This just in...it looks like Modelhaus already did a 2-door phantom, but I'd bet the chances of finding one are akin to finding snowballs in Cuba.

index.jpg.f367819e0c2efee509a8ef36195999fa.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Nice !  Expensive but nice.

Yeah, but I think I'm going to pass this time.

Last big-ticket kit I bought was a Modelhaus '57 Mercury Monterey to do the Mermaid. Scratching that would have been too much.

Just A Car Guy: 1957 Mercury Monterey Mermaid

But already I have a semi-decent acetate promo of the '57 Buick as a starting point.

And that almost 400 bucks is about 10% of what I need for a real quick-change for the '32.

Decisions, decisions...  ;)

You could buy it, make molds of the relevant parts of it that are useful to you then sell it, probably for the same or more than you paid. From an intellectual property standpoint this wouldn't be quite "kosher" but it would seem to be OK:

1) Since you would be buying this from someone other than the original producer (who got paid for his work by the original purchaser) you are not harming the original producer.

2) By paying a relatively high price for it you are supporting the value of this item in the marketplace.

3) By only copying parts of the original and not the entire body you are not diminishing the original producer's work nor are you making a "cheap copy" to sell and thus profit from the original producer's skill without compensating him.

4) By re-selling it later you are again supporting the value of this item in the marketplace even though it's the same item selling for a relatively high price.

1 hour ago, chepp said:

You could buy it, make molds of the relevant parts of it that are useful to you then sell it, probably for the same or more than you paid. From an intellectual property standpoint this wouldn't be quite "kosher" but it would seem to be OK...etc.

Yes, I've considered all of that. There's also the fact that Modelhaus is no longer in business making resin kits, and as nobody has stepped up to buy their tooling or take over production and sales, nobody would be adversely affected from the intellectual property standpoint.

Bottom line is that the Modelhaus body shell has issues, having been pulled from a warped promo, so I'd need to make a mold and cast a copy to CORRECT first, and and then hack THAT up into what I want, so as not to destroy the Modelhaus body.

Either way it's a lot of work.

22 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Either way it's a lot of work.

But aren’t all your builds that way? That is one of the main reasons I follow your builds, to learn new( or old) ways to building a model. Keep up the work in ‘23 and hope you sneak in a pic or two of your 1:1 32 build along the way. 
cheers

Bil

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Fear not. I'm a glutton for punishment

That's the spirit 😁 I'm hoping to see this Buick project carried through! 

As for the 3D printed version: it's cool too. It's all about spending time doing what moves you. If one guy builds 10 3D printed models and enjoys 500 hours of modeling, and another guy carves a single model from scratch out of a block of wood and treasures all 500 hours of it, then either way I'd say those are hours well spent.

• Like 2