Model Cars Magazine Forum

ICM 1/24 Model A Phaeton

Justin Porter

The fantastic Ukrainian model kit manufacturer looks to be expanding their selection of 1/24th scale antique autos. While details are scant at the moment, my distributor recently listed the following as an upcoming kit from ICM. 

ICM #24050 - 1/24 American Model A Standard Phaeton 1930's Soft Top Passenger Car (New Tool)

Grabbed the first Google result for a picture of the subject and I must say that done to the same level as their wonderful Model T's or Benz Patent Motorwagen this will be an absolute joy of a kit and I can't wait to stock it!

1930 Ford Model A Phaeton

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

The fantastic Ukrainian model kit manufacturer looks to be expanding their selection of 1/24th scale antique autos. While details are scant at the moment, my distributor recently listed the following as an upcoming kit from ICM. 

ICM #24050 - 1/24 American Model A Standard Phaeton 1930's Soft Top Passenger Car (New Tool)

Grabbed the first Google result for a picture of the subject and I must say that done to the same level as their wonderful Model T's or Benz Patent Motorwagen this will be an absolute joy of a kit and I can't wait to stock it!

1930 Ford Model A Phaeton

German Toy Faire is coming up in two weeks (Feb 1-5), I expect we'll get more details on this, the Tamiya GM T50, and other odds and ends that will debut at the show.

Let's see if we can talk about this without it getting locked.

I like ICM, have built their kits and even e-mail with them sharing my builds.  Nice people.

BUT...how is a company in a WAR ravaged country that we must give billions in cash and weapons, continue to turn out TOYS!?!?!?!?!?!?!? We are told and shown how the Ukraine is on the verge of total destruction....yet they are making new toys for us???

The retired analyst in me just wonders. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I like ICM, have built their kits and even e-mail with them sharing my builds.  Nice people.

BUT...how is a company in a WAR ravaged country that we must give billions in cash and weapons, continue to turn out TOYS!?!?!?!?!?!?!? We are told and shown how the Ukraine is on the verge of total destruction....yet they are making new toys for us???

That's a topic that's probably outside the scope of this forum, so I'm not touching it.

It's good to see that they're still in business and making new product.  The country could use the money.

We've gotten used to the 60 year old AMT kit being the only game in town when it comes to Stock Model As,  so it'll be interesting to see how this new kit shapes up.  As for being 1/24 rather than 1/25, it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it actually makes in practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

ICM themselves very plainly described stopping all activity at their factory in February of 2022 and announced that they were back to work in April of 2022. They're a relatively small company, as most model kit companies are, and they've had the good fortune to be able to return to what is their routine. Not every model kit manufacturer in the Ukraine has been as fortunate. On one hand, Miniart, Dora Wings, and ICM have returned to something approximating business as usual. On the other, Clear Prop has struggled to return to routine business and Roden lost their supremely talented box artist Valery Grigorenko to the violence. 

However circumstances have arranged themselves, earnest hardworking people have gone back to work doing what they love. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

ICM themselves very plainly described stopping all activity at their factory in February of 2022 and announced that they were back to work in April of 2022. They're a relatively small company, as most model kit companies are, and they've had the good fortune to be able to return to what is their routine. Not every model kit manufacturer in the Ukraine has been as fortunate. On one hand, Miniart, Dora Wings, and ICM have returned to something approximating business as usual. On the other, Clear Prop has struggled to return to routine business and Roden lost their supremely talented box artist Valery Grigorenko to the violence. 

However circumstances have arranged themselves, earnest hardworking people have gone back to work doing what they love. 

I agree these are good, hard working people making this biz work BEFORE all this junk was hard enough . I just do not see how they get supplies,  cut new tooling, people, shipping even power, when the rest of the country is unable to function. NOT accusing anyone of anything.....it just makes me wonder what is happening on the ground to real people rather than what we are feed.  thx

3 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I agree these are good, hard working people making this biz work BEFORE all this junk was hard enough . I just do not see how they get supplies,  cut new tooling, people, shipping even power, when the rest of the country is unable to function. NOT accusing anyone of anything.....it just makes me wonder what is happening on the ground to real people rather than what we are feed.  thx

To put it most bluntly, the bulk of the model kit industry is situated in Kyiv while the worst of the war has taken place in the Eastern Donbas region near Donetsk and Mariupol; some 400 miles away. It's a bit analogous if not directly comparable to saying "Why are the lights on in Dallas when a hurricane just blew Galveston off the map?" 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

the postal service is still working in Ukraine, I've been getting stuff from diolex and uscp fro a few months now. Diolex were based/shipping from germany during the summer but seem to be back in Kyiv now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Getting back on topic, phaetons are cool. I like talking about the other stuff too but I don’t want to get this thread shut down. I hope ICM has a Fordor in the works too. This is exciting stuff for a fan of early cars. 

I kinda like the 1/24 too......the cars are small......and I have a lot of 1/24 to display with.

I just hope they do a good job on the motor, unlike the botch on the Model T.

This kit is going to be T.R.o.G. fodder for a long time, and I hope they eventually throw in some hop-Up parts.

Dave, you up to sharing some photos of Beach Racers to them?

6 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I'm sorry but imo what we build are not toys. I consider models to be a form of art.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

I'm sorry but imo what we build are not toys. I consider models to be a form of art.

In the business world they are toys. I have been building for 60+ years, aowner of two hobby biz.........ebay and Amazon both list models as toys.....it's the commercial definition. Sorry if that offended. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Getting back on topic, phaetons are cool. I like talking about the other stuff too but I don’t want to get this thread shut down. I hope ICM has a Fordor in the works too. This is exciting stuff for a fan of early cars. 

So many possibilities for variants, like they've done with the 'T's.  Really looking forward to this!

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

In the business world they are toys. I have been building for 60+ years, aowner of two hobby biz.........ebay and Amazon both list models as toys.....it's the commercial definition. Sorry if that offended. 

I get it, but we aren't bound by a business definition 😁

This is fantastic news. Aside from MiniArt's GAZ AA trucks, this would be the first stock Model A kit put out in years. I'm in for 3 or 4 for sure. I've built several of ICM's Model T kits and found them quite nice.  Other than the Monogram kit, the only other Phaeton kit I can think of is the old Hubley/Gabriel/JE Scale Models metal kit.