Model Cars Magazine Forum

ICM 1/24 Model A Phaeton

Justin Porter

Color me intrigued, especially if we eventually get different body styles (30 or 31 roadster, 30 closed cab pickup)

I keep wanting to type that the choice of 1/24 is unfortunate for the hot rod world (and I get the reasoning behind the global scale of 1/24 being chosen) but then I remember all the 60's Monogram hot rods were all 1/24 as well. (30 Phaeton, 34 coupe/roadster, 30 Coupe/cabriolet, Little T, Little Deuce, Woody Wagon, Blue Beetle)

The funny thing about the term "phaeton".  We use it now to describe a stately and luxurious vehicle, but the original horse drawn phaetons were lightweight carriages designed with speed in mind.  That they're named after the original reckless teenaged driver should tell you who they had in mind as a customer.

https://www.theoi.com/Titan/Phaethon.html

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:29 AM, Dave Van said:

Let's see if we can talk about this without it getting locked.

I like ICM, have built their kits and even e-mail with them sharing my builds.  Nice people.

BUT...how is a company in a WAR ravaged country that we must give billions in cash and weapons, continue to turn out TOYS!?!?!?!?!?!?!? We are told and shown how the Ukraine is on the verge of total destruction....yet they are making new toys for us???

The retired analyst in me just wonders. 

I'm very familiar with the situation in Ukraine. Two things can be true at the same time. Yes we need to help them fend off the much larger Russian army so they may save their country. At the same time it is important to keep the country running while the fight is going on. Just because the country is fighting a war does not mean all industry must stop. 

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Darin Bastedo said:

I'm very familiar with the situation in Ukraine. Two things can be true at the same time. Yes we need to help them fend off the much larger Russian army so they may save their country. At the same time it is important to keep the country running while the fight is going on. Just because the country is fighting a war does not mean all industry must stop. 

I think part of the issue is the slant of the WAR coverage we get in this country. I'll forget trying to figure it out.....above my pay grade. I know those in the Ukraine I have talked to via email have been very nice folks. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 12:01 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

We've gotten used to the 60 year old AMT kit being the only game in town when it comes to Stock Model As,  so it'll be interesting to see how this new kit shapes up.  As for being 1/24 rather than 1/25, it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it actually makes in practice.

Actually, up until the 1970s, the Monogram 30 Model A Phaeton could be built stock, and is a pretty nice kit in its own right.  I rebuilt a survivor a few years ago, and was amazed how nicely everything went together with a precision fit. The similarly designed Monogram 30 A Coupe has always had the capability to be built stock.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Actually, up until the 1970s, the Monogram 30 Model A Phaeton could be built stock, and is a pretty nice kit in its own right.  I rebuilt a survivor a few years ago, and was amazed how nicely everything went together with a precision fit. The similarly designed Monogram 30 A Coupe has always had the capability to be built stock.

And can't you mix the 30 Phaeton with the 30 sedan, still in stock form, to make one??? Thought about doing but yet to pull kits and try. 

Just now, Dave Van said:

And can't you mix the 30 Phaeton with the 30 sedan, still in stock form, to make one??? Thought about doing but yet to pull kits and try. 

30 Sedan is Revell 1/25th scale. You could cross breed the phaeton with the stock parts from the Monogram Coupe easily though. 

• Like 2

The 30 is a 1/25 Revell if I’m thinking of the right one (shares stock bits with ex Revell woody) The Phaeton is the 1/24 Monogram kit now rod only. 
Dave D you type faster than me. Pics of the tub if you have chance, enjoy your builds. Looked thru your photo albums off and on for ages, really nice stuff, rural settings, RR, just wow. 

Edited by keyser

49 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

30 Sedan is Revell 1/25th scale. You could cross breed the phaeton with the stock parts from the Monogram Coupe easily though. 

Yes,,,miced up years,,,,,,

This...............

30touring.jpg

MIXED with

30coupe.jpg

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 1

I've built a few of the ICM kits now - the latest one being the 1886 Benz Patent-Motorwagen.  They are nice kits, my only real criticism is that they tend to have thick attachments for delicate parts.  It is likely that they'll bring out more variants if their series of Model T kits is anything to go by.  I'm confident that this Model A kit will be one to look forward to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 4:28 PM, Dave Van said:

Yes,,,miced up years,,,,,,

This...............

30touring.jpg

MIXED with

30coupe.jpg

Dave, I have both of those kits, and plan to produce a stock touring myself. I had many rides in one a teenages in the 1970's.

(my folks belonged the the H.C.C.A, 'Horseless Carriage Club of America'.) My dad had a 1925 Buick Two Door Sedan. I spent more than a few weekends polishing the Nickle Plated Trim. When we went on "Tours" on weekends, I got to ride in other club members cars too.

• Like 1