Model Cars Magazine Forum

ICM 1/24 Model A Phaeton

Justin Porter

6 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I watched the ICM new catalog video and it shows 2 Model A Phaetons. Unfortunately, the video is not in English so I don't know what he said!

Hopefully they get these to market soon!

Screenshot 2024-01-20 011756.jpg

It looks like they're selling it as either an up top version or with the top down version. Either way I'll be getting one (or maybe both).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peter31a said:

It looks like they're selling it as either an up top version or with the top down version. Either way I'll be getting one (or maybe both).

And the auto-translated subtitles on the video say basically the same thing.

Never can have enough Model A Fords.

Go ICM!

Edited to add....

How soon before we hear American Modelers noting that this kit is stock only and contains no Hot Rod parts? Of Course the Revell 29/30 Roadster/ Coupe kits should allow some kit bashing opportunities.

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think this ICM kit will be really good and when you are tired of building original cars you can probably kit bash with Monogram's classics, such as the coupe. If ICM makes a roadster they have a winner.
IMG_8003.jpeg.dfecc3046f7114b0ea875fc70cbc1520.jpegIMG_8001.jpeg.c31f684cfe0666ffb14762922d86374d.jpeg

• Like 1

I think its going to be a great kit, but icm are like heller in how the bodies go together with almost tamiya quality. And they have a great after sales service too, i contacted them for instructions for a kit i bought on ebay and they arrived yesterday along with a paint guide for the kit which probably wont be used as its going lowrider bomb but it was nice touch.

I don't know that I need a phaeton because the monogram kit is quite good and I have several. But if they continue the series into other body styles a true roadster and closed cab pickup would be snapped up by stock builders and hot rodders alike. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2023 at 10:29 PM, Dave Van said:

AMT did  a 27 Phaeton correct?

Yes but that would be a T as I'm sure you know. I built stock Ts for my dad in all the versions AMT had many years ago.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I only see a couple things of note. The radiator shell is a '31(the catalog art shows a '30 shell) and the running boards are the pressed steel style used on trucks as opposed to rubber covered ones used on passenger cars. If those are the actual style tires that are going to be in the kit, that's great! They're nicely done copies of Firestone tires-the same tire which you can still buy to this day for 1:1 Model A's & other cars that use a 4.75x19 tire.

The instrument panel shown in the CAD drawings is the style used until Oct of 1930 when it was changed to a round instead of oval speedometer. The Radiator shell would be easy enough to backdate to a 1930 piece to match the instrument panel. Chances are 98% of the people building this kit could care less! LOL 

I'm definitely in for a few of these. Hoping this leads to other body styles, stock Model A kits are sorely needed!

Edited by RSchnell

1 hour ago, RSchnell said:

I only see a couple things of note. The radiator shell is a '31(the catalog art shows a '30 shell) and the running boards are the pressed steel style used on trucks as opposed to rubber covered ones used on passenger cars. If those are the actual style tires that are going to be in the kit, that's great! They're nicely done copies of Firestone tires-the same tire which you can still buy to this day for 1:1 Model A's & other cars that use a 4.75x19 tire.

The instrument panel shown in the CAD drawings is the style used until Oct of 1930 when it was changed to a round instead of oval speedometer. The Radiator shell would be easy enough to backdate to a 1930 piece to match the instrument panel. Chances are 98% of the people building this kit could care less! LOL 

I'm definitely in for a few of these. Hoping this leads to other body styles, stock Model A kits are sorely needed!

it might be the european model a, we had some differences from the ones you guys got.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stitchdup said:

it might be the european model a, we had some differences from the ones you guys got.

Quite possible. I'm pretty sure passenger Fords built for Europe got rubber running boards. I have a couple original Model A Part price lists from Germany & the UK, if I can find them easily I will look them up.

Russian Model A's aka GAZ A's use quite a few truck parts in passenger car production. AA Truck radiator shell, painted headlight buckets, running boards etc. This could be where ICM got the idea for the pressed steel running boards! 

I consider this a bonus as there are no GAZ A Ford kits in this scale and it'd be real easy to convert this kit into a GAZ.

gaz_a_083_of_204.jpg

• Like 1

They are going to make the shell and the radiator one piece like they did on the Model T, aren't they.

Those need to be separate pieces. It will be nice to have this kit, but The Model A done by a folks who are not Car Fanatics is going to be a good, but very staid kit. The Model T's are very hard to build, and the one piece Radiator/Shell, and difficult to build but accurate parts seem to be leaving most of these kits on the shelf. Some of the engineering choices on the parts are odd, as well.

I want one of these "A"s but the probable high cost and estimated difficult assembly leads me to project that I'll buy only one. Not a recipe for market success.

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

They are going to make the shell and the radiator one piece like they did on the Model T, aren't they.

Those need to be separate pieces. It will be nice to have this kit, but The Model A done by a folks who are not Car Fanatics is going to be a good, but very staid kit. The Model T's are very hard to build, and the one piece Radiator/Shell, and difficult to build but accurate parts seem to be leaving most of these kits on the shelf. Some of the engineering choices on the parts are odd, as well.

I want one of these "A"s but the probable high cost and estimated difficult assembly leads me to project that I'll buy only one. Not a recipe for market success.

It's hard to say what the parts break down will be but I don't think ICM is hurting for sales on these given their greater focus internationally. Truthfully, their, most anticipated new release for 2024 is the all-new 1/48th scale B-26 Marauder that will blast the Monogram antique into irrelevance. The MSRP they've set on the Model A according to my distributor is $54.99 and that seems perfectly in keeping with a model of their level of detail and refinement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stavanzer said:

why do you think they aren't car fans? there has to be at least one or else we would never have got 3 versions of the opel admiral and numerous versions of the t. none of the American model companies have done an accurate model t fire truck or speedster but icm have and revell liked those kits enough to rebox some of them. the reason they are still on the shelf is when an amt model t is $20 and the icm is $45 we know which will be chosen. and its not that they're difficult to build, you just have to follow the order of the instructions or else things go wrong. I'm working on the opel admiral just now and all the problems have been caused by my assembling the body too soon but they haven't put me off getting the convertible (which is in the post). sure some parts are done strange but no stranger than splitting and engine and gearbox down the centre. to me the biggest problem with the kits is the sprue tab locations, some thought put into them would be a bonus as every one of them is in a dumb place

I'll definitely be climbing on this train as soon as "I've got to have it FIRST!!!" clowns get out of the way and the prices drop.

I'm thinking it's probably only a matter of time before these folks do a stock '32 something. Just hope it happens during my lifetime.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Hobbylink Japan is taking orders, and they're expecting it in June.  There's a little sticker shock, but Revell kits are going for $50-$60 here now, so it's not that bad.  About what they charge for Tamiya kits here.

https://www.hlj.com/1-24-scale-model-a-standard-phaeton-soft-top-1930s-american-passenger-car-icm24050

It’s interesting that the illustration shows North American rubber running boards but the prototype pictures show the GAZ style metal running boards as has been discussed here previously. Hoping that the actual model has the rubber style board.

I am looking forward to the Model A kits, but hopefully we will get a few more body choices. A Victoria or an A-400 would be nice, along with a Fordor. Hopefully ICM will do more Fords, but I would like to see a model of the Ford Y and its variants (right up to a stock 93E Anglia/Popular). Plenty of body choices with that running gear!

• Like 3