Model Cars Magazine Forum

RIVIERA ROYALE: a heavily customized coachbuilt 1966 Buick Riviera

Claude Thibodeau

Spacely Sprockets' George Jetson's futuristic glance at what most others can only imagine... kustom kars often kross the line between one step beyond and the twilight zone without sensing the difference found in-between them.  What you have kreated is a klingon kollision of two separate automobile landships while keeping all four wheels on the ground!  Outstanding kustom koupe, Claude!! -KK

On 1/31/2023 at 1:22 PM, happy grumpy said:

I am always amazed by your keen eye to design custom cars. You definitely have talent to imagine a concept and  execute it with great craftsmanship. This one is no exception. It could easily pass for a concept car Buick came up in the 60's. I love it.

Salut Mario!

Thank you for the compliments.

I spent a good deal of time studying the various clay concepts that GM experimented with under Bill Mitchell's tutelage, and I suspect he would have looked at it favorably. However, the top guy liked to throw all kinds of body "decorations" on his concept cars (side grills, air extractors, decorative moldings, etc.) . So, I suppose he would have ordered "body jewelry" that I chose to do without. Oh well...

CT

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:45 PM, Paul Payne said:

Superb! Magnificent! Love in particular the cantilevered seats! This one will be providing me with ideas for years to come!

Hi Paul!

Thank you. The seats are scratchbuilt, using the tip of plastic ustensils handles, affixed to a structure made of Evergreen stock. Bon appetit!

CT

Hello Claude! You never disappoint sir. Long, smooth, and low, what a work of art. My favourite photo is the straight on front view showing the mirrored panel below the grill. Beautifully executed build as usual Claude, I’m having nightmares thinking about the fitment of the body, there’s a lot of work there… Thanks for sharing another masterpiece from the house of Claude.

Cheers, Steve

Found it Claude!! A great mash up of original Riv panels reflecting each other in graceful harmony. Though radically modified it is instantly recognizable as a Riveria. Open roof lightens over all design wonderfully and allows viewers an unobstructed tour of the interior design. Panel fitment is perfect and superb paint keeps the overall look very slender. Chassis is a study in well thought out engineering and very slick yet functional. Top shelf effort my friend!

That is some fantabulously imaginative and well crafted styrene witchery, Claude. It looks like something that sprang to life straight from the pages of a Philip K Dick novel. Kudos, sir.

The interior is way cool and I really dig what’s going on under the hood.

On 1/31/2023 at 4:42 PM, tim boyd said:

I just so admire the imagination on display here and that Claude has the modeling skills to deliver the vision in 3D reality.  Way to go!  TB  

Hi Tim!

Thank you for the compliments. I must admit this one was on my mind for a while, but as I get older, it's often more difficult to get things in gear. Oh well...

CT

Amazingly creative and wonderful execution of what is certainly a one of a kind build.

First time in four years I've been on these types of sites and have seen scratch built seat belt latches.

Is the tail light some type of clear styrene or is it possibly a thicker clear lay film?