Model Cars Magazine Forum

March 2023 from Round2

• Motor City changed the title to March 2023 from Round2
3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hey! They finally corrected that box! 

11416844_59or60Corvette.jpg.c14b4dd5fd89dd2fff3553f7543fd424.jpg

83558911_60corvette.jpg.7f59c324bf1ec7ccad8c55b9c08b3e71.jpg

Much better. :lol:

Not an easy kit to build. The windshield frame is MUCH too thick, for one thing. I did manage to wrestle it to the ground and make it my Joy Behar a couple years ago, though. 

In other news, Diecast Model Wholesale is advertising the '66 Mustang 2+2 and the '63 Corvette roadster. Hmmmmm.....

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hey! They finally corrected that box! 

11416844_59or60Corvette.jpg.c14b4dd5fd89dd2fff3553f7543fd424.jpg

83558911_60corvette.jpg.7f59c324bf1ec7ccad8c55b9c08b3e71.jpg

Much better. :lol:

Yeah they did.

But that is not the box art I would have used. Frankly, it is not that great, in my eye. I've had kit, and sold it on. Just could work up any 'feel' for building it. At least it has one piece tires this go-round.

I couldn't tell from the video about the tires in the Corvette kit, but when first issued this and others with the Street Rod logos had some very nice low-profile tires as an option. They were more on the order of the one on 1:1 road racing cars of the day. Anyone liking a '62 Impala convertible should pick up one of these. I built one from an original issue last year and the fit is just like the '62 Bel Air hardtop that AMT offered. 

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Yeah they did.

But that is not the box art I would have used. Frankly, it is not that great, in my eye. I've had kit, and sold it on. Just could work up any 'feel' for building it. At least it has one piece tires this go-round.

That's actually one of my favorite box arts, Alan. I love that it's basically black and white with red as the only actual color in the artwork.

I started to build a quasi-box art car years ago with the Revell multi-piece body kit , which I actually like better then the AMT kit. 

And, yes, I do have a copy of the original. 

8 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Yeah they did.

But that is not the box art I would have used. Frankly, it is not that great, in my eye. 

I don't know, they certainly could have done worse. Like this one with the upside down headlights. What would you have picked?

AMT6588-2.jpg

10 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Yeah they did.

Being based on the '59 annual kit with a few updates for the '60 model year, this is the oldest surviving AMT kit.....a cool way to commemorate that would be a retro box based on the original '60 annual box design.

model_pic_161964041296f14d69.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pack rat said:

for the '60 model year, this is the oldest surviving AMT kit.....a cool way to commemorate that would be a retro box based on the original '60 annual box design.

I don't think the slotted mag wheels would fit into that equation. As far as oldest surviving model kit goes, the 60 kit is a second update from the SMP 1958 promo tool. The two kit releases in 59 and 60 were likewise under the SMP label. It was never released under the AMT label until the 1970s, as a "1959" in the Street Rod series box. The 1957 T Bird kit was based off of one of the AMT 57 promo tools. (According to Ertl, there were two, one of which produced the Craftsman kit). That would make the 57 Thunderbird the oldest surviving AMT tool. Especially if it (possibly) was itself an update of the 1955-56 tool.