Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you look for in a diecast?

atomicholiday

I’m starting to get interested in diecast models, but have no idea where to begin.  Here are some questions for you.

What brands do you look for, or avoid?  And why?

Do you prefer to leave them completely untouched and original from the factory, or modify them in some way?

Anything else of interest to the subject?  Let’s hear it!

I realize everybody will have their own opinions (and like plastic, there’s no wrong answer) but I’d like to hear yours.

Let me take a shot at your questions Jeremy.  Just my opinion mind you. 

Category - Subject, decide on a subject or category like a type of car or truck.

Select a scale: The more popular ones are 1/64, 1/24, 1/16 or all scales of a particular subject.

Prices - Pretty much follow the size of the scale.  The 1/24 scale now have risen towards the prices on kits now.

Sources - The big box stores like Walmart, Target, Hobby Lobby, and some drug stores carry a small selection. 

The web like eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress have a huge variety of new and used diecasts.

Brands - Welly, Maisto, Motor Max, First Gear, Hachette are popular brands.  Jada is hit or miss.  They tend to be larger than scale and have custom big wheels.

Serious collectors go for the out of production brands like the Franklin and Danbury Mints which have the most detail and biggest prices.

And yes, you can modify a diecast to whatever you want, unless you are concerned about resale value.  I do it all the time by converting Ferraris with decals into race cars.

Come on guys jump in with your thoughts.

Opps!  As Snake points out I neglected BBURAGO.  They have come a long way since the old Italian made days, especially for Ferraris.

Edited by Gramps46

1. Scale: I'm only interested in 1/24 or something darn close to it. 1/25 is even better. I'm cool with down to about 1/27, but any larger than 1/24 and I'm not interested. 

2. Accuracy: Overall shape accuracy is key. I'm not that hung up on details. 

3. Price: I don't like to pay more than about $30 for a diecast, new or used. A great many of my diecasts (I'm over 100 now) I've paid $10-$15 for. 

4. Brands: As Gramps said, Welly, Maisto, Motor Max, and First Gear have all done nice stuff at reasonable prices, and I think he forgot Burago or bbrago. Oh, M2 and Greenlight also do some darn fine stuff in this price range. As he said, Jada is hit or miss. Most of their stuff is oversized and "cartoony," but every now and then they hit one out of the part like their new '67 El Camino. If you like their subject matter and being slightly "large" doesn't bother you, they're a good value and available at many Walmarts. I like the Franklin and Danbury Mint stuff but only if I can find it used in my price range. 

5. Modify? Absolutely! I don't consider a diecast "mine" until I've made it fit to sit on the shelf with my other models, and I'm semi-famous for this process, which is known as "Snake-Fu." :D  This usually involves a few hours of detailing stuff like grilles, wheels/tires, headlights/taillights, chrome trim, removing janky tampo graphics, and so forth. Sometimes I'll polish the factory paint and once in a very great while, I'll repaint one. 

Remember, this is a hobby and the whole idea is to have FUN with it! There's no wrong way to do it if you're having FUN and enjoying yourself. ;)B)👍

• Like 2

Lots of questions here, Jeremy.

It depends on what you are looking for. Like Gary said, you just have to decide for yourself where is your interest. 1/43 scale has by far the widest selection but prices may also vary from a few $ up to a few 100s  $ (depending on rarity and fidelity).

I am building mainly 1/24 cars (classic European sports and race cars + rally cars from the 70's and 80's). As a lot of them are not available as plastic kits, 1/24 die-cast models could partially fill the gap. Models that would otherwise not be available (or only for outrageous prices) could (and sometimes can) be had for little money: Especially Hachette  (fabricated by Ixo) with their newsstand models from Italy, France, Spain, Germany and other countries are highly recommended (for instance, a 80-pcs. series of F1 cars and a newly started series of Ferrari F1 cars are actually on the roll in Italy with new releases every 2 weeks).

While I would prefer Hachette/Ixo models for being true-to scale and have most of the details right, sometimes also Welly or Bburago/Maisto have nice models, sometimes they can look a bit toyish. If you are looking for American cars, then you should look for Danbury mint, Franklin mint or First Gear. If you don't insist on original packaging and certificates you can sometimes get them at cheap prices.

You should avoid seeing this as an investment - it is definitely NOT! Just have fun with the models you like - keep them as they are or rework and modify them into whatever you wish.

• Like 1

All that's been advanced above, with whatever further insight I and others may provide then...

Just for myself, mostly I'm drawn to 1:18th renditions of period road racing topics (diecast then), with select 1:25th scale unassembled plastic kits filling in for what hasn't been tooled in a larger scale.  1:43rd and 1:18th F1 Grand Prix topics dating from the mid-1990's and later are also collected (again in diecast), whereas I'm finding myself priced out regarding new releases while I simultaneously less than impressed with the move to sealed resin afforded at an equally stiff price point. Some period 1:25th plastic promos are collected, but these too are typically expensive and not an avenue I can explore deeply.   I suppose I keep in the hobby for avidly modifying older tools picked up when the price of such wasn't wholly prohibitive.  Could I afford to start again from scratch with prices as they are?  For what I do - certainly not!

Patterns will be picked up with regards to which manufacturers have done the best justice to which topics and what price point.  In a sense it would be easier to simply rely on ratings relating to the 'best' afforded (and some are routinely terrific mind you), but as time goes on most companies currently active are almost endlessly churning fully-amortized tools to keep their businesses going, while I'm not sure if things can continue apace if most everything has been done - and better - in the recent past.  If a firm relates in a press release that the best of something will soon be released to market for $250.00 - well, I'm not the customer for such.  Awareness of the Golden Age of Cheap China ending maybe a few years past the turn of the century is general amongst hardened and well-informed diecast collectors who, motivated by a sober awareness that things will never be so detailed and so inexpensive as availed twenty-odd years ago, super-heat the online auction market for what they missed in-period.  Understand too it's common for most to cycle out one low-cost and low-detail model to gradually move up the food chain consistent with having a small but carefully governed collection of very good tools/renditions of what's most valued.  Tiny, reknown museums certainly exist, while enormous and sloppy collections that take over lives and destroy relationships also exist, hence be forewarned...

Locally where I work a single day at an area automobilia shop, the younger customers are shifting towards 1:64th scale releases previously the terrain of Hot Wheels and Matchbox alone, and if $20 will yield a very nice Ruf Porsche Yellow Bird, who's to say value hasn't been afforded?  People are being priced out of the diecast hobby looking up to 1:18th and beyond, whereas sealed resin topics from 1:43rd to 1:12th aren't necessarily setting the world alight with regards to demand.  Mostly old news here given what I'm relating has been said again and again.  Quite understandably, many here reasonably restrict themselves to 1:24th/1:25th low-cost drugstore diecast fare and simply keep things light and fun.  Damaged older Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint models can be had for modest sums, and more than a few posters enjoy feasting on such - again, keeping costs in-check and the fun factor high.  Modifying these less expensive options is a guilt-free experience as many will attest.  

Whatever you should do and however you opt to approach things, we each wish you well.  Identify and topic and a collection focus and people humming on a like-frequency stand ready to chime in and afford direction.  Without further details it can be hard to generalize concerning where we might guide you, although I trust these are early days for you and more information may be forthcoming.  Good luck then...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70
  • Like 1

I am at heart a "builder" and "restorer" rather than a "collector", so I tell myself (though my ratio of built to unbuilt models would indicate otherwise). My early forays into diecast were for damaged versions of 1/24 subject matter that has never been kitted in styrene, probably never will be, and would afford me the pleasure of repairing castoff models (which I particularly enjoy for some odd reason), or give me a relatively inexpensive basis to build modified, custom, or racing versions of same, much like what I do with styrene.

My love of machines is deep and complex, and a large part of it is visual. There are some things I can just look at for hours, and as I began to realize the range of visual delights was far wider in diecast than styrene, I began to acquire examples of designs that had particular appeal from a purely aesthetic standpoint, then more from an engineering or competition milestone standpoint, then old trucks large and small...but always with an eye to controlling expense by going after damaged or (occasionally) perfect examples priced way under market value for one reason or another.

At some point I began to appreciate the convenience of having models I could look at to get an eye-candy fix without having to build them, and my very modest diecast collection is made up of vehicles that strike a particular chord within my soul, models I'll take out and savor for their interplay of volume and line, light and shadow and proportion...and some that just remind me of what I firmly believe to have been, in many ways, a much, much better time to be alive.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 3

Thank you all for your valuable insight into this topic!  This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

My motivation is two-fold: one is subject matter.  I go to a lot of antique stores/flea markets with my wife and frequently I’ll see a diecast of a car or truck that I’ve never seen in kit form.  I’m passionate about all things automotive, no limits to what might catch my attention.  Everything from the first cars built to the newest hyper-cars, and everything in between.  But I’ve been hesitant to buy anything without knowing if the quality was really there or if it was just a toy.

My second reason is, as I get older, there are things I just can’t do with plastic kits anymore.  Or at the very least, struggle with.  Same story as many of us on here.  The eyes are going and the steady hand is long gone.  Diecasts seem like a way for me to still enjoy the hobby when I can’t calm my tremors.  (Not that I’m anywhere near giving up on plastic yet!)

So far, I could see myself being more into modifying or improving on existing diecasts.  Maybe do a little of my own “Snake-Fu”ing!

One more question- what’s the general opinion of some of these pre-painted, unassembled diecasts by companies like Testors, Polar Lights, Lincoln Mint, ertl, etc?

24 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

One more question- what’s the general opinion of some of these pre-painted, unassembled diecasts by companies like Testors, Polar Lights, Lincoln Mint, ertl, etc?

I have a 1/24 Testors Chrysler Crossfire kit, purchased because it was the only game in town for that car at that time, and I really like the design of the fastback.

index.jpg.f5b5096a41253c755f24e86b007c7d08.jpg

It's a very nice model. Not on a par with the best of Danbury in terms of detail, but still a very nice, well-proportioned model.

The older diecast Revellogram (unpainted) MGTC and Jag XK120 metal kits are also well proportioned, and with the included plastic parts, build up beautifully (though the TC wire wheels are somewhat toylike, and some heavy mold separation lines on the bodies need to be aggressively dealt with).

DSCN0271_zpsm9vtlwzh.webp.2a0204ab2fd260d5285e222ede766458.webp

There are, unfortunately, some real turkeys out there too (not kits, but interesting cars). The "Racing Champions" '49 Plymouth is one of the worst models I've ever seen in terms of getting the shape and proportions right.

NASCAR Racing Champions Lee Petty 1949 Plymouth Deluxe 1:24 Scale buy ...

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I want to share my appreciation to all for sharing your thoughts.  My own story started at a drug store to buy dental floss and walking out with 4 Wellys and has morphed into Corvettes, Ferraris, Cobras, etc.

Mine started at the local gas station, which had a display of cheap ($10 or under) 1/24 diecasts I now know to be Maistos and Motor Maxes. Some of my first were the '69 Dodge Superbee 440+6, '69 GTO Judge, '70 Boss Mustang, and '65 Chevelle pro street. My main interest is in '60s-'70s American musclecars, but I've expanded my interest to sports cars of all ages and nationalities, as long as they're cool looking. Wasn't that long ago that Rite Aid drugstores had a rack of Wellys (your choice, $10) that was worth a visit every two weeks to see what was new and I seldom left empty-handed. I had access to about five Ride-Aids over three states but sadly a couple years ago Most of the Rite-Aids became Walgreens and they seldom have diecasts at all anymore, much less a selection that's worth a special trip. There is still one Rite-Aid in the next state that's just up the street from our local monthly Toy Show, so I usually stop in there on toy show day, but it's only a 50-50 shot on finding anything I want these days, also they're up to about $13 now I think. I've bought quite a few Motor Maxes and some Jadas at Walmart, always under $20. Have also scored quite a few at that toy show, many used in the $5-$10 range. The only high-end "Mint" cars I have are a '67 Vette roadster and a '68 El Camino, both bought at the toy show for $25 or so. 

1 hour ago, atomicholiday said:

I've had good luck with the lower-end "kits" from Hobby Lobby, especially priced at 40% off. Have done several of them with no problems. 

OTOH, I got a Testor/Lincoln Mint '69 GTO Judge kit that turned out to be a nightmare. LOTS of pieces, LOTS of little screws of several different types and the instructions were of NO help in determining which screws went where. I spent an entire morning with the thing--which would have been more than enough time to assemble any of the other kits I've done--and didn't make much progress at all with it. It's back in the box now--I have no plans to get back to it anytime soon. IIRC, Cobraman here managed to get one together, so it CAN be done--just not by someone with my debilitating ADD. ;):lol:

One more thing: You should probably get on the mailing list of Diecast Models Wholesale. Most of my diecast purchases are spur-of-the-moment, opportunistic things, but when I go looking for something I can't find locally, I shop with DMW. They stock just about everything available in all scales and all price ranges and have a flat $10 shipping rate for any purchase. And they ship FAST and with no problems. I've ordered from them maybe a half dozen times or a few more over the years and they've never done me wrong. It's a rare day I don't get an email from them with new arrivals and closeouts/sales. These are always interesting to look at--it's how I found out about the brand-new Jada '67 El Camino that I'm so fond of. Check 'em out here: 

https://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/ 

Just on the topic of the few diecast kits on the market, some advantage is afforded for seeking such out, although maybe less than one would first guess.  For just tearing into almost any 1:25th diecast topic in particular (short of Danbury and Franklin Mint rebuilders), most are held together with a handful of screws situated in obvious places, while observance of normal caution will yield you something cleanly field stripped and largely unbroken.  Sometimes screws will be hidden in wheel arch areas, situated behind glued-in front valence panels, etc.  Part of reviewing build threads here is to establish how to best attack this tool and that, while even those who post infrequently usually will chime in if they have legitimate insight to share consistent with clearing a specific hurdle.  

With this in mind, no huge value is really on offer for holding out for fairly scarce disassembled diecast kits - at least in my view.  Will the occasional model be written off for clumsy disassembly and incautious handling?  Yes - most certainly.  Initially an upsetting proposition, if the up front cost of a replacement is judged to be not so high, appreciate it's pretty common to silently order or gather another example in the night and revel in the availability of a comprehensive spares package to push the envelope regarding what one might try, what finishes might be applied, in addition to sorting out and isolating the best of the Best of the BEST of what you'll have inspected most closely!  

Within reasoned limits, modifying simpler diecast topics isn't a hugely expensive hobby, whereas for having a high-quality finish applied that looks acceptable out of the box is indeed a plus and a boon for those of us overwhelmed by more elaborate start-to-finish unassembled plastic projects.  Strategic work consistent with altering an interior color or swapping in a better engine or one carefully detailed is wholly o.k.!  Opportunistic collecting driven by chance and whim is o.k. too!  

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

• 2 months later...

As far as brands, it's like model kits. Every manufacturer has their fair share of trash and treasure, generally skewing more towards trash but that's how it is. 🤣 That being said, I tend to favor Motor Max, Maisto, and Welly. First Gear is pretty good too, and they do a lot of light commercial stuff, which I like.  M2 makes some nice small scale stuff but I tend to find the 1:24 scale models from them a bit on the chunky side as far as appearance. As far as bang for buck they're hard to beat and their newer stuff could pass for an old "mint" model appearance-wise. Scale can be inconsistent (a model listed as 1:24 might actually be 1:27, for instance) but the same thing is true of 60s model kits and that never stopped anybody from singing their praises. 

Unless you're planning on flipping them for profit, why not modify them? I usually at least add a license plate to the ones I have. I've had a few where I've just added stuff like decals and some stuff in the interior or cargo area. Makes for a quick, fun, "instant gratification" kind of project. And of course if you're good at working with metal, the sky is the limit. Just take a look at what people like the Read brothers are doing with modified diecasts. 

A lot of modelers seem to largely ignore diecasts, and I'll never get why. It's the only way you can get quite a number of subjects in scale. If it looks good on the shelf it's doing it's job. 

I only have a half a dozen non volkswagens and they are all 1/24 maisto except for a 1/1? chevy 59 impala. all my other diecast are vw and i dont have any preference to quality or brand with those. as long as its something vw group I'll buy it. I've got vws in many scales and recently got a box of goodies from a member here containing a load of canadian vw toys. condition doesn't matter to me with the vw stuff either as its all about the subject matter and to me toys can have patina too. Its part of the toys history but I'm not against modding them. A future project will be a melding a diecast bentley convertible with a plastic toy of the hard top.

I prefer plastic kits, but I look at die-cast to fill in spots that I can't get otherwise. I also look at the scale accuracy and proportions as well. I only buy in the 1/25th-1/24th range and a lot die-cast makers especially the cheaper price point ones seem to be of the "Meh, close enough," outlook.

Some very interesting reading on here with this topic, and to keep it short, here are my thoughts . . .

I usually go for plastic kits to assemble, and usually in 1:24 or 1:25 scale. Every so often I really need to find a particular car that has not been produced as a kit, and this is where the diecast model comes in. Personally, I am drawn to Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint, but only if I can afford the asking price ! This is why I like Ebay, because if you have the patience to wait for the right model, you can be lucky enough to win an auction or even spot a cheap ' Buy Now ' price.

I like to use parts from diecast Rolls-Royce models and fit them to a plastic kit build, or I might even repaint a diecast (carefully).

Most important of course, is that these diecast model cars must NOT appear to be toy-like . . . Absolute realism and accuracy are always top of my list of priorities, and especially when I have a photographic project in mind. I cannot purchase a model car that does not have the correct proportions and details.

My collection includes 1:12 scale models, as well as 1:25, 1:24, 1:20, 1:16, 1:32, 1:35 and 1:43 scales, and I wish I could build a 1:8 scale Pocher one day  !

David

• 4 months later...
On 3/26/2023 at 5:08 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I am at heart a "builder" and "restorer" rather than a "collector", so I tell myself (though my ratio of built to unbuilt models would indicate otherwise). My early forays into diecast were for damaged versions of 1/24 subject matter that has never been kitted in styrene, probably never will be, and would afford me the pleasure of repairing castoff models (which I particularly enjoy for some odd reason), or give me a relatively inexpensive basis to build modified, custom, or racing versions of same, much like what I do with styrene.

My love of machines is deep and complex, and a large part of it is visual. There are some things I can just look at for hours, and as I began to realize the range of visual delights was far wider in diecast than styrene, I began to acquire examples of designs that had particular appeal from a purely aesthetic standpoint, then more from an engineering or competition milestone standpoint, then old trucks large and small...but always with an eye to controlling expense by going after damaged or (occasionally) perfect examples priced way under market value for one reason or another.

At some point I began to appreciate the convenience of having models I could look at to get an eye-candy fix without having to build them, and my very modest diecast collection is made up of vehicles that strike a particular chord within my soul, models I'll take out and savor for their interplay of volume and line, light and shadow and proportion...and some that just remind me of what I firmly believe to have been, in many ways, a much, much better time to be alive.

Amen Ace, I get this feeling that we are somewhat kindered spirits! 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:08 AM, atomicholiday said:

I’m starting to get interested in diecast models, but have no idea where to begin.  Here are some questions for you.

What brands do you look for, or avoid?  And why?

Do you prefer to leave them completely untouched and original from the factory, or modify them in some way?

Anything else of interest to the subject?  Let’s hear it!

I realize everybody will have their own opinions (and like plastic, there’s no wrong answer) but I’d like to hear yours.

There are a few of Diecast Forum to choose from.(6) Joes Diecast Shack - Sharing information about diecast cars since 1998 (tapatalk.com)

(1) DiecastXchange Forum

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I came back to this thread because I found several old Bburago cars in a box. I bought them years ago in Italy including some obscure stuff we don't find here very often. I'd forgotten I had them. No pictures yet, but I found some old 1/24th police Alfa Romeos and a few racing Lancias and Peugeots. They all look very accurate to scale. I'm thinking of doing restorations and maybe some detailing of them as a side thing over the next couple of years. All have seen better days as they've been sitting in an old box in a garage since the 90s.

Jumping to modern stuff, Jada and whoever makes those Fast and Furious cars have some stuff I'd love to have at a good price, but they tend to be in some weird 1/22nd-ish fit-the-box scale. Welly does a nice Porsche 356 that's too big for 1/24th, and Maisto does several trucks I'd like to get except they're in 1/27th. I really like the FnF Ford Cortina and if it were 1/24th, I'd have several of them.

I used to collect a ton of diecast, stopped right after my bankruptcy in 2010....oops. Now I just mainly just focus on Mustang's, VW Bugs, staion wagons and 48 Tucker's if I can find them.

I also will look at all the Matchbox as they make some really neat castings. I very fond of the 1943 Jeep Willys and MB just came out with the 1980 AMC Eagle.

Anyone remember Toy Cars and Models magazine? Great mag! I had an article I wrote for them about Avon bottle cars (still collect those).  

NdKvMV9.jpg

eFzTHQv.jpg

p60gVwy.jpg

mVz2kgJ.jpg

And when I had them in a case (now in boxes)

a4BPFum.jpg

wSKVaY2.jpg

Edited by webestang

• 4 weeks later...