Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell Aston Martin DB5 James Bond 007 "Goldfinger" kit announced

2 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Interesting to see if Revell follow on in this Bond series with the V8 Vantage from the Timothy Dalton Bond films?

Or the DBS from On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Sadly I'm guessing that's gonna be a big ol' nope on either of those. 

9 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

What other Bond Kits are there?

I am only aware of the Aston DB and the Mustang.

The Citroen 2cv (For Your Eyes Only) is being rereleased as well. Looks like they're retooling it with rectangular headlamps to match the movie car.

Edited by jaymcminn
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Photo, courtesy of Michael Brodhaecker and Kits Review Online.

For more information click on link below pic.

Revell-05653-Aston-Martin-DB-5-50 Aston Martin DB 5 Goldfinger in 1:24 von Revell # 05653

https://www.kitreviewsonline.de/aston-martin-db-5-goldfinger-in-124-von-revell-05653/

Gotta say I'm rather nonplussed about that roof being cut open like that. Plus great googlie-moogilie that plastic is swirltastic. Maybe they'll see fit to at some point release a non-bond DB5, otherwise I think I might have to pass on this one. 

Edited by niteowl7710

1 minute ago, niteowl7710 said:

Gotta say I'm rather nonplussed about that roof being cut open like that. Plus great googlie-moogilie that plastic is swirltastic. Maybe they'll see fit to at some point release a non-bond DB5, otherwise I think I might have to pass on this one. 

Same here

Well, curbside is disappointing as well as the non-optional Bondian gadgetry. I'm sure the aftermarket will come to the rescue with a 3d/resin engine. Filling the armour plate and ejector hatch lines is doable but not fun. I wish that Revell had gone the full-detail, pull out all the stops route they did with the excellent Jag E-Type and Porsche 911 kits, but this seems like a good starting point for a detailed build.

I wasn't expecting full detail on a SnapTite kit per se, plus I've seen earlier box art stuff that showed that engine plate for the bottom. I guess I can't really gripe about the hole in the roof from a "Starter Snap Kit" aspect, but I would have rather had it be a panel line in the roof I could quickly fill rather than a whole missing panel that has to be fit and then leveled and then filled. Life's too short to fight with stuff that doesn't inspire me out of the gate.

The pricing is a bit steep for what it is, which may be a result of the licensing. But the alternatives are a Doyusha kit with iffy shape that’s equally kerbside and expensive, or an Airfix/MPC or Aurora “licensed spy car” kit with better shape and an engine at serious collector prices. Remember Revell has form in this space with the EasyClick Porsche 356: a simplified pure snap coupe, and a more detailed cabriolet with more and more accurate pieces. They can get the “mass market” Goldfinger one out the door to sell to all the folks who want a Bond car semi-toy with gadgets; then follow up with a more detailed “regular” DB5…

If it wasn’t so expensive, I’d be seriously tempted to leave off the bumpers, fill the roof panel and armour slot, replace the wheels with some nice 3D printed wires, and have a pretty cool classic GT on the shelf sooner rather than later.

Like this:

Aston_Martin_DB5_Lightweight_07pop.jpg

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon
  • Like 3

I built the 356 coupe and it really looks nice on display.  I painted the interior etc but did not paint the body just used Tamiya clear on it.  My daughter bought it for me for Christmas as I don't think I would have bought it for myself.  Nice kit though and not quite a simple Easy Click.  I really do not like all the James Bond gadgetry on this DB5 and yes price seems a tad steep also.  

On 9/29/2023 at 9:59 AM, iBorg said:

What about merging this kit with the old Aurora/Monogram DB-4? It is 1/25 but you never know until you try.

DB4's and 5's are great looking cars! Mike, I like your suggestion, and that's exactly what I'm doing......sort of....... I'm building 1) Doyusha DB5 + Aurora/Monogram DB4 to create a complete, detailed DB5. Secondly, 1) Aurora/Monogram DB4 out of box but with different wheels and tires added, and thirdly, 1) MPC/Airfix DB5 glue-bomb basket case + Aurora/Monogram DB4 to create a DB4 GT. The DB4 GT looks like a DB5, but with a shorter wheelbase; 93" vs. 98". I'll be shortening the body and chassis accordingly.

One thing that caught my eye with the new Revell DB5 is that it seems to use the newly tooled wire wheels included in their 1/24 Jaguar XKE. The knockoffs are different of course. The tires look to be new, slightly taller than the tires from the XKE kit, and resemble the Michellin XWX. Those wire wheels are really nice, and I've purchased multiple sets on ebay for other projects. However, in my opinion, the tires in the XKE kit are too short and proportionally too wide. I've been figuring out what cars they're good for.......but the XKE isn't one of them.

For my Doyusha based DB5, I'm using the MPC/Airfix chrome wire wheels in combination with 4) Revell '29 Ford 'Rat-Rod' front tires. I've found these tires are a dead ringer for Dunlops and come in handy for many sports car builds.

For the DB4, I'm using the chrome wire wheels from the Monogram Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR. The tires will be Monogram Michelin TRX's for the front. These came in Monogram '37 Fords and 427 Cobra kits. For the rear, same 300 SLR wheels joined with Tamiya Dunlop tires from their Morgan +4 kit. It's not very common to see center-laced wire wheels like these on a DB4, but there are some out there. I've attached some photos depicting what that looks like.

Lastly, for the DB4 GT, I'm using Fernando Pinto wires. So, the rims are just painted silver. This one will be more of a race car. See attached photos for reference to what the shorter DB4GT looks like. They're pretty tidy! 😃

9464_aston-martin-db4-gt_3.jpg

Aston_Martin-DB4_GT_Continuation-2018-1600-1f.jpg

Aston-Martin-DB4-2.jpg

2880-1800-crop-aston-martin-db4-c657309072018174128_1.jpg

5ncionfaczr41.jpg

carpixel.net-1961-aston-martin-db4-lightweight-racer-series-iv-40342-hd.jpg

carpixel.net-1961-aston-martin-db4-series-iv-40273-hd.jpg

Edited by Hoffman
typo
  • Like 1