Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1969 Ford Galaxie Hardtop

Casey

Looks like the 1/25 AMT '69 Ford Galaxie Hardtop is being reissued, as kit #1373. I don't this has been available since the *gulp* RC2 days?:

AMT-1373    1/25 1969 Ford Galaxie Hardtop

amt1373.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

IIRC, the 2004 below was the last reissue.  I have a few of those.  The late 70s 'Countdown Series' reissue was one of my very first AMT kits as a kid...I think it and the Countdown Series  '66 Mercury were the first AMT 1/25th scale kits I ever built. 

I figured this one would get the retro redux treatment eventually.    Maybe similar box art to the original annual (2nd pic in yellow).

1025259-23322-86-pristine.jpg.webp

1266223-50908-89-pristine.jpg

I started one of these in 1969 (!) and didn't get much further than painting the body and vinyl top. Dug it out and kicked it through the goal posts for a 2021 Bring Out Your Dead group build. 

The main thing I remember about it was being glad it was finally off the To-Do List. :lol:

69FordGalaxie16.jpg.541c7bafa477393a4b77276c8d6db8c2.jpg

• Like 5

It does indeed have 'fine lines'.

Put me down for a Few. I have one of the 2004 boxings, but it is missing half the instruction sheet,and some parts.

Retro Deluxe Decals, Pad Printed Tires, and maybe (maybe) some original parts returned to the kit via re-opening all the gates!

What is not to like?

Maybe R2 could cook this one up for us. They have all the tooling. The last issue of the Galaxie provided me with the tow car plus I scored a set of reproduction decals. Still would be nice to have another chance to have the team set. 

005-ELAPSED-TIMES-MODEL-BOXES-PART-1.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 6

On 4/12/2023 at 12:12 PM, Snake45 said:

I started one of these in 1969 (!) and didn't get much further than painting the body and vinyl top. Dug it out and kicked it through the goal posts for a 2021 Bring Out Your Dead group build. 

The main thing I remember about it was being glad it was finally off the To-Do List. :lol:

69FordGalaxie16.jpg.541c7bafa477393a4b77276c8d6db8c2.jpg

My brother owned a 1:1 of this car in the exact same color combo. Now I want you to imagine the hood flying up at 45mph and folding back to the top of the windshield. It went to the junk yard soon thereafter.

9 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

My brother owned a 1:1 of this car in the exact same color combo. Now I want you to imagine the hood flying up at 45mph and folding back to the top of the windshield. It went to the junk yard soon thereafter.

I thought that just happened on the first-generation Mustangs! 

I had a serious body issue with the last issue (my fault). I hope they clean up the mould a little, because trying to correct that is what made the mess. Otherwise, I think I know how to avoid it.

I wonder if there's a readily-available resin body I could use the undercarriage for from the '04 issue?

Charlie Larkin

I have one in the "box opened, started, frustrated with engine, back in the box" forms.  It is supposed to have the parts for the SOHC, but they did not fit very well.  I got tired of sanding engine pieces, so I put it back in the box.  Maybe I should drag it out again and use a different engine to finish it.  Might make a nice slump buster.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:55 AM, Rob Hall said:

The ‘70 Galaxie police car kit fills that niche.  Though the roofline is a bit off 

The '70 Galaxie has the hardtop roof. If you remove the posts and window frames it is correct. I am working on a correct body for the 4 door sedan but it's not finished yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

Besides the rear chassis screws, some parts of the annual kit did not come back in the reissues

What are the missing parts, Bob? I can't even find an instruction sheet on line for the annual to look at.

8 hours ago, Can-Con said:

What are the missing parts, Bob? I can't even find an instruction sheet on line for the annual to look at.

Maybe Casey can scrounge one up.

The Drastic Plastic site has only a partial sheet from the 2009 re-release, IIRC.

On 5/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, Bob Ellis said:

Besides the rear chassis screws, some parts of the annual kit did not come back in the reissues

I think you'll find that a number of parts that were blocked off for the RC2 issue have been restored back for this re-issue.  There will also be a nice new expanded decal sheet too. 

-Steve

• Like 6