Model Cars Magazine Forum

GSL Contest in Salt Lake City -- Who's going?

Quick update:

There is a bewildering assortment of outstanding models on the tables here. I'll try to get some quick table shots posted. It has been incredibly gratifying to meet many of our members in real life. I've been having some great conversations with people, and I can see why this is such a special show. More to come

• Like 3

On 4/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Yes, all but one of the editorial team will be there. I, for one, will be in idea collection mode. 

Me either. And it's killin' me! Been seeing some great previews on Facebook. Some amazing builds to be seen. Tim Boyd, Terry Jessee and Jim Keeler are there.

• Like 1

Judging ….  Mark, Jim, and Bob were up til 5:30 this morning - just left the banquet and lunching at the airport -  ive got some table vids but ive got to get a utube channel to upload them - try to do that end of the week - long story short - wonderful weekend - more later - hope they dont want me to fly the airplane …

• Like 3

So, this was my first, and sadly, last GSL. All I can say is -- better check that, and leave it at wow. Just an amazingly high quality on the tables. There are a few contests that I'm glad I don't have to judge and this one tops the list. We have access to the room during the judging, and the judges really do put in a monumental effort. 

But, more importantly, it was beyond awesome to meet, and get to know so many new and old friends. This is the biggest benefit of attending. Our existing contests can do more to foster this, and we'll be talking more about that in days to come.

From the magazine's side, this was a mountain of totally worthwhile work. It was also the first in-person meeting for our new staff. 

Thank you to all who stopped by our table, said hello, and reminded us of just how valuable this forum has become. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Glad you had a great time Dave. Can't wait to see more about the show. A suggestion for the magazine would be a special gsl 2023 contest coverage issue. Just a thought.

I don't think I'm speaking out of line here, but...

If I recall, during production meetings we discussed a GSL story several months ago!

So rest assured, there will be a feature in the mag.

:)

• Like 3

On 5/7/2023 at 2:17 PM, absmiami said:

Judging ….  Mark, Jim, and Bob were up til 5:30 this morning - just left the banquet and lunching at the airport -  ive got some table vids but ive got to get a utube channel to upload them - try to do that end of the week - long story short - wonderful weekend - more later - hope they dont want me to fly the airplane …

Congratulations on your wins Andrew.  Well deserved!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 9:14 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

I wonder how the judges got the judging all done.  There had been years that they barely got done by the Sunday awards brunch. If the level of quality is what ii think it is the judging was a monumental task.

It wasn't easy, that's for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Would have liked to come across the pond and across to the GSL. Look forward to seeing all you guys pictures on the forum. Pity it is due to be the very last show. Surely someone could take up the baton and run it in the future?

The GSL is (now was) special.  But, you do get the Jabbeke show that has some AMAZING builds.   That is one I would love to get to but over 5,000 miles away.  

Edited by Exotics_Builder
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Would have liked to come across the pond and across to the GSL. Look forward to seeing all you guys pictures on the forum. Pity it is due to be the very last show. Surely someone could take up the baton and run it in the future?

I think the plan all along was to have the show continue on. But there was no one to take it over and thus the decision to end it. If there had been some one to take the reins then it would have continued. Running the show was a major took quite a bit of the time with a limited volunteer group.

Unfortunately at this point I really don't see the show being resurrected. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 6:44 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

But, more importantly, it was beyond awesome to meet, and get to know so many new and old friends. 

From the magazine's side, this was a mountain of totally worthwhile work. It was also the first in-person meeting for our new staff. 

Thank you to all who stopped by our table, said hello, and reminded us of just how valuable this forum has become. 

Back at you, Dave!!  You guys make the mag and the forum well worthwhile.

It was great to meet you.  See you next April?  V

V

V

• Like 1

I always wanted to be a GSL attendee . It was incredible , inspiring and I felt everything I thought I would . I knew I would be there when they announced this would be the last one , the weeks leading up the show made me uncertain I'd make it but at the very last possible minute things clicked into place . Walking into the contest hall Thursday morning I could feel the buzz , my eyes welling up with the realization I didn't miss it , I was there . Recognizing literally every name on every name tag from the magazines and forums would have been a bit too much for this introvert except the first person that I talked to while waiting in line to register was this really nice guy that I share a first name with , he'd been there before , he would nod and wave if he saw me when he was on The move and just sit down and chat when he had some down time . I was very happy when he won best of show .  I also had a conversation with Jim Keeler who has four very large chickens and is going to be working on a very large model of the Titanic , yes both of those are related . Seeing Mark Gustavson in his world was exactly as expected and revealing simultaneously . I met many national luminaries , saw so many exquisite models , being in the same place really makes you feel what it's all about . This is by far my best modeling experience.  Thanks to everyone that was a part of it ! 

• Like 3

On 5/5/2023 at 11:31 PM, 2doors3pedals said:

Here are a few of the 800 or so entries:20230505_170700.thumb.jpg.6241ed7371f92dc8a1c05625795547c0.jpg

A Big Thanks to @Speedpro and @Dennis Lacy for the opportunity to join the 1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute! - WIP: Model Trucks: Pickups, Vans, SUVs, Light Commercial - Model Cars Magazine Forum thread and be able to see it for the very first time at the GSL Finale. 

Here's the grand reveal:

20230505_133508.thumb.jpg.b7a4ac37e3a3f0211867f15ffbfdbadd.jpg

Thanks to @tim boydfor his contribution to modeling over the years and to old & new friendships! -KK

• Like 1