Model Cars Magazine Forum

Odd Place to Find Models

1 hour ago, paul alflen said:

YES, instead of putting these out for the public to buy they have now started auctioning these on line in their goodwill store! Oh well ,more money for charity works or corporate greed?

Well they have to cover those high management salaries somehow.

IMG_8560.jpeg

• Sad 2

I've been buying kits from Shopgoodwill.com, for years. Some times you can great deals, but it takes luck, a sharp eye and some good background knowledge to get deals anymore. A few years ago, rare kits sold for next to nothing. Now collectors have found it, and rare kits (especially Car Kits) sell for close to Collector Prices. Since each kit is listed by the individual store, photo quality and listing accuracy varies widely. It has gotten better though. There is a handy box on the lower left side that will help you calculate shipping costs. These are usually high, but pretty accurate. 

When you go to the home page, use the 'Advanced Search' tab, then go to "Crafts and Hobbies" then go to the sublisting "Model Kits". That way you can just search kits. It takes sifting but is fun when you are bored at 3am.

:)

On 5/4/2023 at 3:54 PM, Calb56 said:

Not really an odd place to find them. My sister has gotten me at least 3 model kits at a Goodwill store down in Maryland and mailed them to me. 

It's just one place nobody thinks to look. Granted, you may not find model kits everyone at Goodwill stores. You just got to be at the right time to find them. Same thing at any local flea market/thrift store or antique stores.

55 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Not really an odd place to find them. My sister has gotten me at least 3 model kits at a Goodwill store down in Maryland and mailed them to me. 

It's just one place nobody thinks to look. Granted, you may not find model kits everyone at Goodwill stores. You just got to be at the right time to find them. Same thing at any local flea market/thrift store or antique stores.

Well to be honest, I thought it was 12 years ago but it was closer to 15, I dropped off a hundred kits and assorted resin at the Tucson Goodwill when we didn't have room for them when we moved. I'd already given away to a member of Model Car List a couple ĥundred when we'd left Portland. 

Now I'm back near Portland and started up again last August.

I hope those kits in Tucson had found a good home but I sure wish I had at least the Revell 49 Mercury's still...

Edited by Calb56

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

The Goodwill stores in NYC do not accept any kinds of toys, that includes model kits. They're more than happy to accept paperback pulp novels, velvet Elvis paintings and Hawaiian print shirts with armpit stains, though. Those same items will be purchased by toilet plunger shaped hipsters to be sold at inflated prices as "vintage" at the local flea markets. It saves them the trouble of rifling through trash cans late at night.

Edited by SfanGoch
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SfanGoch said:

The Goodwill stores in NYC do not accept any kinds of toys, that includes model kits. They're more than happy to accept paperback pulp novels, velvet Elvis paintings and Hawaiian print shirts with armpit stains, though.

How about sweaty velvet Elvises that have been used as ponchos?

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 6:36 PM, SfanGoch said:

The Goodwill stores in NYC do not accept any kinds of toys, that includes model kits. They're more than happy to accept paperback pulp novels, velvet Elvis paintings and Hawaiian print shirts with armpit stains, though. Those same items will be purchased by toilet plunger shaped hipsters to be sold at inflated prices as "vintage" at the local flea markets. It saves them the trouble of rifling through trash cans late at night.

Ahh, so you’ve been to the Brooklyn Flea? 🤪😂

• Haha 1

I've found models at kids resale shops (local/regional ones....nothing at national ones like Once Upon A Child)

If buying from ShopGoodwill look at the pics carefully.  I've seen diecast with the narrative saying minor wear/no damage but the bumper is missing and the windshield is cracked.  I've bought things and pieces that were in the pics on the listing didn't make the package when mailed.  I've bought things tht have been badly damaged due to no packaging so it didn't survive shipping.  Only one told me to keep it and refund my money but most e-mail you a shipping label and refund the cost when they get the item back.  (Not sure how this makes business sense paying shipping both ways on an item they got for free)?

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Ahh, so you’ve been to the Brooklyn Flea? 🤪😂

Nope. Every single flea market attended or run by nasally, helium voiced stick figures wearing their sisters' skinny jeans is identical. Anything which was tossed out as garbage ends up for sale at them. They forced the sidewalk flea markets around Astor Place out of business because they beat the junkies to all of the good stuff, including bedbug-infested couches and mattresses.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, stavanzer said:

I've been buying kits from Shopgoodwill.com, for years. Some times you can great deals, but it takes luck, a sharp eye and some good background knowledge to get deals anymore. A few years ago, rare kits sold for next to nothing. Now collectors have found it, and rare kits (especially Car Kits) sell for close to Collector Prices. Since each kit is listed by the individual store, photo quality and listing accuracy varies widely. It has gotten better though. There is a handy box on the lower left side that will help you calculate shipping costs. These are usually high, but pretty accurate. 

When you go to the home page, use the 'Advanced Search' tab, then go to "Crafts and Hobbies" then go to the sublisting "Model Kits". That way you can just search kits. It takes sifting but is fun when you are bored at 3am.

:)

Seems to be a typical problem. Once the word is out it the bargains aren't there any more.

I picked up a few kits at the Out of the Closet thrift store near where I used to work.  These stores benefit AIDS charities. They are known for their pink storefronts.  One of my coworkers liked the prices of stuff at this store but didn't want people to know he went there.

• Like 1

I’ve been to a goodwill store before, and never found any kits. Been too few thrift stores, but won’t ever go back - because they stunk, and everything looked like trash. I was telling myself who in the world is buying this trash?

2 hours ago, Dpate said:

I’ve been to a goodwill store before, and never found any kits. Been too few thrift stores, but won’t ever go back - because they stunk, and everything looked like trash. I was telling myself who in the world is buying this trash?

Depends on the location, and the day you get there. 

Stock changes constantly.

Resale stores in affluent areas often have great, hardly used stuff for very reasonable money.

Resale stores in less affluent areas usually have mostly useless junk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Depends on the location, and the day you get there. 

Stock changes constantly.

Resale stores in affluent areas often have great, hardly used stuff for very reasonable money.

Resale stores in less affluent areas usually have mostly useless junk.

I have been buying things at Re-Sale stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, and others) for 30 Years. Goodwill seldom lets Model Kits escape to shelves, now that they have the 'shopgoodwill' online store. Other stores get them some times.

Estate sales have been a loser for me, but a fellow member of our local model club, goes every weekend. Most times he is skunked, but when he scores (4/5 times a year) he hits it big time. Last haul was 75-80 car kits for 50.00 bucks. Most were 1990's trash, but a good dozen or so were worth listing on eBay. He made about 300.00 from those. He has found at least 2 Pocher kits, and those sold well too.

Model kits are every where, but finding them second hand takes time and luck.

• Like 1

Around here I have never had any luck with garage/yard sales.  I have done a few good deals at flea markets, but of the two better known ones around here one shut down about ten years ago, and the other has turned into a lot covered with rental storage spaces occupied by self-styled "pickers". 

Pro tip: when you go to a flea market or garage sale and see eBay printouts on any of the tables, keep walking...you're not going to buy anything.

That leaves the automotive swap meets, which still work out okay every so often.  Otherwise I'm waiting for the next local IPMS meet, NNL East, or the Three Rivers show in September.